The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

May 3rd 2018 last firmware release for H6D-100c

bab

Just posting this out of frustration since Hasselblad has chosen not to honor the requests I've suggested and I'm sure many others as well for needed or wanted firmware items. The last release was May 3rd 2018, it didn't satisfy many of items on my wish list. They always say (standard answer) they will pass on the suggestions to the engineers that a really old line. The latest and greatest standard answer is maybe some of your requests will come with the new camera. I really don't care if the camera is great the way it is, I don't care if they can't afford to pay the coders, I would just say its been a loooooooong time since they put something on the table.

And now to the reason I wrote this RANT I sick of getting the PR emails weekly about who got a free camera big deal! Really you need to give a way a camera to sell them? I ask myself what the heck are they doing over there, its like they sit on a bench and watch the world turn. Doesn't make much sense to me as this past year and half has passed all the comments about how Hasselblad should do something either in the way of announcement or comment on any upcoming releases they have decided not to do anything.

the end of the rant...

Thanks for reading

tjv

Hasselblad are dead to me. Just this morning I wrote them the following email (some details removed for this context):

Dear Hasselblad,

I am writing to express my dismay at the news that Hasselblad have decided to drop support for Flextight scanner swith regards to updating Flexcolor or incorporating scanner support into Phocus or an alternative piece of software so the hardware can be used on new operating systems like Catalina.

The institution I work at owns two Flextight scanners – one X1 bought new a little more than four years ago – plus I personally own a 949, and think it unconscionable that a company promoting professional level products and support could have such disregard for their core customer base as to drop this kind of support for a product still sold new little more than a year ago!

I will also add that as a practicing artist-photographer I am a core target customer of your products, as I currently work with a Phase One / Leaf digital back on a technical camera platform, not to mention a ton of older V-series equipment. I was very seriously contemplating moving to your new X and V digital platforms with the new 907x – which could also be used on my existing Linhof setup – but this kind of business practice means I can no longer enter into such a purchase in good faith.

I hope that you do the right thing and invest in developing future software support for your scanner range for upcoming releases, or at least enable a third party to incorporate support into another piece of software, such as Vuescan or Silverfast.

Regards,

tjv

I will also add that I predict they will drop the H line entirely in the near future, I.e. no more development past current model. I simply don't trust them, which is a shame because I was a bit fan of their products for a long time. I think the total lack of development on the H line lenses and firmware as you mention speaks volumes. As they say, the writing seems to be on the wall with the H.

buildbot

The X system (including the 907X) is obviously the future.

And Phaseone will have to drop down to the H line pricing, otherwise ...
It just doesn’t make sense- they clearly invested a lot in the 100c, with the video features and completely new design, but seem to be completely unwilling to do anything exciting with the platform!

tjv

Honestly, let’s face it. They’ve made their direction clear through their actions or lack there of.

And when was the 907x supposed to be shipping again?

It just doesn’t make sense- they clearly invested a lot in the 100c, with the video features and completely new design, but seem to be completely unwilling to do anything exciting with the platform!

tcdeveau

Honestly, let’s face it. They’ve made their direction clear through their actions or lack there of.

And when was the 907x supposed to be shipping again?
The 907x is slated to ship in December. My guess is they will trickle a few out at the end of the month and then ship more in volume later Q1 2020.

Phocus mobile 2, which was a big selling point of the X1DII, still isn’t available AFAIK.

The 35-75, which was first announced in Feb of 2017 and then announced officially 6 months ago, is now a month and a half behind its projected ship date of mid-October 2019.

I never bought a H6D-100c because after being strung along twice my Hasselblad Factory Rep couldn’t follow through with a demo (and I did not have a local dealer at the time).

I do love my X system, and have been a big fan of theirs, but I’m becoming tired of all the delays and lack of communication.

Despite using the “old” 50mp sensor, I was somewhat excited about the CFVII/907x, but it’s hard to stay excited about a product when you don’t know whether it will ship this month or six months from now. The “regular” CFVII (non-matte black one) - we still have no info on pricing or availability.

As I’ve said before, the frustrating thing is Hasselblad is not meeting their potential IMHO.

Last edited:

TheDude

]Despite using the “old” 50mp sensor, I was somewhat excited about the CFVII/907x
What excited me most about the CFVII-50c/907x is that it will be quite likely that eventually there will be a CFVII-100c/907x (with IMX461 sensor).

JeRuFo

What excited me most about the CFVII-50c/907x is that it will be quite likely that eventually there will be a CFVII-100c/907x (with IMX461 sensor).
It kind of starts to look like Hasselblad is skipping that sensor generation. Seeing that the CFVII is not even on the market yet, an update will probably be 3 to 4 years away. By then it would be silly to do all that development on what will be a seasoned sensor by then.
From all that has come out recently from Hasselblad it seems that the new owner is trying to keep investments to a minimum and first wants to sell some product.

Massive Si

if they have no money, they cant invest.

I'm just as upset with P1 business practice as I am disappointed with Hasseblad's lack of potential

Mexecutioner

Let's not forget this is now a drone company that happens to have a MF camera division. They are raking in the dough with the drones, so why spend time and money in the 100c?

JeRuFo

Let's not forget this is now a drone company that happens to have a MF camera division. They are raking in the dough with the drones, so why spend time and money in the 100c?
If they want the Hasselblad name to stay meaningful, they'll have to keep making high end products. I don't believe they just acquired Hasselblad to put the name on their drones. Plus, I don't think Hasselblad's employees would have agreed to go along with an acquisition like that. I know it was owned by an investment company, but the employees always have some negotiating power, as they can render the company worthless very quickly.

DBF

I was a Fan of HB for many Years - I nether had a Camera of another Brand.
I have read the Experiencies of other People on Platforms like this and I don`t want that for me.
I have H5D60 + a Sack of Lenses - perfect for My Needs - and I say to HB: This is the End, Beautiful Friend(s)

Mexecutioner

If they want the Hasselblad name to stay meaningful, they'll have to keep making high end products. I don't believe they just acquired Hasselblad to put the name on their drones. Plus, I don't think Hasselblad's employees would have agreed to go along with an acquisition like that. I know it was owned by an investment company, but the employees always have some negotiating power, as they can render the company worthless very quickly.
Sadly, I don't think they asked the less than 200 employees what they wanted to do or their thoughts were. With the the revenue DJI has had in the past couple years they could have chosen to buy Hasseblad just to slap their logo on the Mavic 2 camera, as the Hasselblad name is still really meaningful and would help their drone sales.

Currently I don't own any Hasselblad products but I hope this iconic company thrives and keeps evolving offering new and exiting stuff.

tjv

The boiler plate reply I received from Hasselblad regarding my letter above. Is this 'professional level support and service' for products sold new only a year ago?

Thank you for contacting Hasselblad Customer Support.

We understand your point of view and we have forwarded your feedback to our R&D team.

Unfortunately, the update to 64-bit requires a total rewrite of the software and this is not our priority for the moment.

The only suggestion we have if you need to update your Mac your computer to 10.15, is that you also run 10.14 in a virtual environment like VMWare or Parallels.

Otherwise, just dedicate a computer for scanning, disconnect it from the internet and use it only for scanning. The scanner does not require a high-performance computer, it works perfectly with 5+ years old computers.

With regards to the scanner service, if your scanner requires maintenance or service we are able to offer full support for the Flextight X1 and X5.

We apologize for this situation.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Hasselblad Customer Support

Mexecutioner

The boiler plate reply I received from Hasselblad regarding my letter above. Is this 'professional level support and service' for products sold new only a year ago?

Thank you for contacting Hasselblad Customer Support.

We understand your point of view and we have forwarded your feedback to our R&D team.

Unfortunately, the update to 64-bit requires a total rewrite of the software and this is not our priority for the moment.

The only suggestion we have if you need to update your Mac your computer to 10.15, is that you also run 10.14 in a virtual environment like VMWare or Parallels.

Otherwise, just dedicate a computer for scanning, disconnect it from the internet and use it only for scanning. The scanner does not require a high-performance computer, it works perfectly with 5+ years old computers.

With regards to the scanner service, if your scanner requires maintenance or service we are able to offer full support for the Flextight X1 and X5.

We apologize for this situation.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Hasselblad Customer Support

I know this will offer no relief and while it sucks at least they are being honest about it and are giving you a response. Many don't even do that. Perhaps an old beater machine can perform scanning duties frozen in the times of 10.14 or below?

tjv

Yes, cold comfort but at least there is some kind of workaround...

I think it does send a strong signal of what is to come for the H system though. I wonder if the contracting to Fuji for the manufacturing of certain key parts has fallen sour due to increased competition since the GFX was released. Lenses, prism and some other parts? Either way, why not develop the firmware at all after all this time? And no new, truly full-frame lenses?

TheDude

Actually may not be a bad advice or suggestion. May do that for Lightroom 6.14.