The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Accessories from DT

Christopher

Nice. Especially the shade for the back. Will have to get one.

Beside that, how about good (100%) live view to focus? (Like it was on the IQ3, the IQ4 was a big step back in that regard)

Paul2660

The Shade has limited effect on side sunlight. LCD is still very easily washed out. To be really effective shade needs to be at least 2x deeper and not cut down on sides.

Real solution would be a tilting LCD, which allows user to angle LCD out of sunlight, similar to what most other modern cameras allow.

Paul C

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Shade has limited effect on side sunlight. LCD is still very easily washed out. To be really effective shade needs to be at least 2x deeper and not cut down on sides.

Real solution would be a tilting LCD, which allows user to angle LCD out of sunlight, similar to what most other modern cameras allow.
It's very fair to say it does not fully eliminate glare, and its effectiveness depends on the scene. For example, it does virtually nothing if the sun is directly behind you, and works quite well if the sun (or other light source) is directly above you (which is, of course, pretty rare for most photographers since you're usually not shooting outdoors at noon).

What this product aims to do is provide a reasonable amount of shade without needing to be permanently attached or removed to access the touch screen, and which does not take up any meaningful room or weight in your pack (it reverses for storage and weighs almost nothing). I think it does quite well at those goals. Feedback from early adopters has been very good. It's not a panacea, but it helps.

To more completely eliminate glare, but maintain usability of the touch screen, you'd need either a dark cloth over your head, or a movable screen – you point out a tilting LCD which is one option, but that only goes so far and is prone to breaking at a higher rate than a fixed LCD (the absolute breakage rate is still quite low, but the relative breakage rate is much higher) which is a problem for a camera that many users expect to use for 5-15 years. The IQ3's wireless Capture Pilot solution provides for a screen that is totally movable (totally detached from the camera position) and therefore you can place against your chest while facing away from the sun, walked over a few dozen feet to a more shaded location (e.g. under a tree), or even temporarily placed inside your shirt or coat for complete black out. It's very frustrating that the IQ4 wireless solution is still not here, but when it arrives (and we have strong assurance it will) will provide similar mobility for review. Even then, it will be nice to have a shade on the back that knocks out some of the glare much of the time, and most of the glare some of the time, and doesn't interfere with the back's operation. That's my opinion anyway, a biased opinion of course, since we are selling the shade which meets that description :).

Last edited:
Three DT Exclusive products now in stock... makes a great stocking stuffer ;D:

What other accessories for Phase One products would you guys like to see?
Dante approved stocking stuffers----well, hell, all accessories for camera gear are approved.

It would be nice to see a compendium lens hood developed that is more usable with filter systems like the Wine Country (silly name btw) holder or other rectangular filter holders.

Shop now. Shop often. Eighteen days until Christmas!

Dante

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Dante approved stocking stuffers----well, hell, all accessories for camera gear are approved.

It would be nice to see a compendium lens hood developed that is more usable with filter systems like the Wine Country (silly name btw) holder or other rectangular filter holders.

Shop now. Shop often. Eighteen days until Christmas!

Dante
You're a real devil :).

The compendium does have built-in slot for one 4x4" filter, though no rear shading of that filter which is a major limitation in some lighting conditions (unless you were to improvise something e.g. draping some fabric over the gap).

drunkenspyder

Paul C
Yes indeed. Best solution. But I’d rather not pay another $50k to get it. I’d settle for rock solid wireless ad hoc tethering to my phone and tablet.

Paul2660

Yes I agree. Not going to lay out anymore on external backs just too much for too less features. Phase had a chance with the IQ4 to change the game and maybe if they had taken more time in design they might have produced a superior design or they could have figured out a way by now to have a adhoc WiFi solution. Still amazes me that this is lacking and leads me to believe adhoc was left out of the chip design and will not happen.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes I agree. Not going to lay out anymore on external backs just too much for too less features. Phase had a chance with the IQ4 to change the game and maybe if they had taken more time in design they might have produced a superior design or they could have figured out a way by now to have a adhoc WiFi solution. Still amazes me that this is lacking and leads me to believe adhoc was left out of the chip design and will not happen.

Paul C
Phase One has states unequivocally they will come with a mobile solution, similar to Capture Pilot, but better. That doesn’t excuse its hitherto absence or lack of a defined timeline for it, which I find very frustrating. But it will come.