The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 20

Massive Si

Now the beta is over, and 20 has been released. What do people think of it?

I have a 12 pro license, but dont have any upgrades available (my lic never came with any)

I run an IQ3 back but have a few files in CR2 format from canon days.

I took a look at the upgrade pricing, but its not cheap. Am I going to get any benefit from upgrading? Does it still have a free DB only mode or has that gone now with Pro?

kdphotography

The Phase One DB version is always free.

You will need the other versions in order to process camera files generated with other than Phase One MFDBs.

Ken

Massive Si

The Phase One DB version is always free.

You will need the other versions in order to process camera files generated with other than Phase One MFDBs.

Ken
should do fine with 12 for the other formats and 20 for my P1

there is nothing missing in DB that;s in pro (when using IQ back/files) right?

Boinger

I have a 12 pro license, but dont have any upgrades available (my lic never came with any)

I took a look at the upgrade pricing, but its not cheap. Am I going to get any benefit from upgrading? Does it still have a free DB only mode or has that gone now with Pro?
I got an email saying I am eligible for a free lifetime license of capture one due to owning a phaseone product. Maybe you should get the same ?

DaveRosenthal

I got an email saying I am eligible for a free lifetime license of capture one due to owning a phaseone product. Maybe you should get the same ?
I got the same email, but it's just a license for the DB product--it won't work with non-Phase raw files.

DaveRosenthal

There are a few feature overviews that cover the full list of what's new. As an enthusiast and not a working pro, new features that effect the final image rather than productivity are what interests me the most. To that end the two biggest improvements for me are:

1) More flexible HDR tool. Adds "white" and "black" adjustments to the normal "highlight" and "shadow". It also makes all tools bi-directional. From initial use this is very helpful. For example, try bringing down highlights and boosting whites, or boosting shadows and bring down blacks. This helps keep things looking natural when really cranking the highlight and shadow tools.

2) Significantly improved noise reduction. In particular, one of my main complaints in the past has been the unnatural way in which high ISO files have all of the fine color detail sucked out of them. C1 20 is a large, noticeable step up from past versions on this front. (Maybe an additional 1/2 - 1 stop of noise performance.)

Dave

erlingmm

Can someone provide a direct link to the DB version for download? I am always directed to the full Pro version that requires additional payment, annoying.

I have perpetual licence as a Phase One system owner, but even when I try to upgrade directly from the current C1 12 covered by that licence, I cannot fond the DB version of 20.

kdphotography

I believe you go ahead and download a the "trial" version of Capture One Pro 20

When you register or activate the software, you select the version you wish to activate, and I believe here is where you see the DB option (amongst the others).

ken

Pemihan

I believe you go ahead and download a the "trial" version of Capture One Pro 20

When you register or activate the software, you select the version you wish to activate, and I believe here is where you see the DB option (amongst the others).

ken
Yes you download the trial version but unlike before you also need a serial number to use it as DB version. You get that by registering your Phase One/Leaf/Mamiya back at the Phase One website under "My Profile". If you already have a profile and have registered a DB the serial for C1 should already be there, at least mine were.

Geoff

I bought the license and upgraded to v12 because C1 is used for processing different cameras. This came with a free upgrade to C1 20. The process is a bit confusing, as you have to "buy it", then apply a code they sent to make it a $0 purchase (note: this is different than the DB free option). But it all worked, and C1 20 is downloaded.

Next question: Has anyone used C1 20? Will it disable v12? Am a bit hesitant to be an "early user".

Thanks!

Mexecutioner

I bought the license and upgraded to v12 because C1 is used for processing different cameras. This came with a free upgrade to C1 20. The process is a bit confusing, as you have to "buy it", then apply a code they sent to make it a $0 purchase (note: this is different than the DB free option). But it all worked, and C1 20 is downloaded.

Next question: Has anyone used C1 20? Will it disable v12? Am a bit hesitant to be an "early user".

Thanks!
After installing 20, 12 was disabled in my laptop. I wonder if it still will launch in my Mac pro that hasn’t been updated.

kdphotography

I upgraded to 20 and C1 Pro 12 is now disabled and placed into "trial mode" on my desktop.

I had two separate C1 Pro licenses previously. I only upgraded one of them to ver. 12. I should hope the other license remains active for the older versions. I'll have to check, but when I log onto the Phase One website, it now only shows my C1Pro 20 license in my profile. :rolleyes:

I really don't need the multiple licenses now as I am semi-retired, but it does irk me somewhat if I lose my other license----either the ability to use an older version of C1 Pro or the ability to upgrade it since it is now more than a generation out of the upgrade path.

:loco:

MartinN

I have had CaptureOne 6 and 7 Express. When I decided to try DB version on 7 it resetted the licence of version 6 also to DB version. However, I could enter the express licenses in both 6 and 7 and so switch between express and DB. This was so unconvenient that I now have old computer with old CaptureOne and completely separate computers with CaptureOne DB. I would not recommend trying out something if the old versions are absolutely essential.

ron787

Has anyone started using C1 20? Do we like it?
I have recently installed Version 20 and had been using Capture One Pro 12. The interface has changed somewhat, and finding frequently used functions had required a bit of searching. However, the only questionable, and or problematic issue relates to the previews of recently ingested files, as some of them appear as low resolution images. I have to do further testing to make certain that it was not related to operator error, but I had never encountered a resolution issue with earlier versions.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

After installing 20, 12 was disabled in my laptop. I wonder if it still will launch in my Mac pro that hasn’t been updated.
To my puzzlement, my C12 was not disabled. In the past when upgrading my Mac would give me a message to the effect "do you want to replace the existing C1" - to which I said yes. No such message this time so I have both C12 and C20.

Now I'm afraid to uninstall C12 because I'm afraid I'll lose all the settings I've made to my Raw files. Can anybody tell me?

As far as use is concerned, I haven't done much yet but the noise suppression seems improved. The HDR slider for highlights now works backwards - it starts out at -100 and slides to the right. Not what I'm used to but I'll adapt!

Mexecutioner

After upgrading my license in my laptop the one in my MacPro wouldn't launch, so I upgraded that one to 20 as well.

I've been using 20 for a couple of days I see it is an evolutionary update and nothing really new or super different from 20. For those with cameras that shoot DNG files this is a nice update.

Maybe I need to play more with it to find all the Easter eggs.