The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 20

Geoff

Downloaded C1 20 with a new key for it. Didn't open it... went to open C12, and it required using the new key that had been given for the C1 20. Odd, but it worked. I wonder what happens when the C1 20 download is opened.....

I've been on beta, and the new dynamic range controls are really nice, and masking is faster. However, if you're on a tech cam and an IQ4150 (and possibly other backs), LCC color correction is partially broken. It works fine if you're editing a full-res TIF, but if you're processing to a JPG or (even worse) a resized JPG, you'll get horrible added colour cast in what should be your LCC-corrected areas. Ouch. Also, Copy and Applying geometry settings is still largely broken as well.

I've put in a support case, and hopefully they'll actually get both of these things fixed in the next release. For the moment, I'm sticking with CO12 until this gets resolved satisfactorily, as 1. is a showstopper and 2. is annoying as **** for the vast bulk of my architectural workflow.

Pelorus

Having paid for the upgrade and used it a little...I'd say it was a case of too little for a "Major" upgrade. This is like a dot release more than a major move from 12 to 20... Yes, some of the improved tools are nice, but there isn't anything major there. Frustrating issues like missing lens corrections - the Fuji GF 100-200 is one example - are still not addressed. It really feels like "cashflow is lagging a bit, what's the best way to give it a boost before Xmas?" rather than a user focused major improvement.

Paul2660

Sure had hoped phase would have gotten the 100-200 profile fixed. Really needs to be addressed mainly for vignette issues.

Paul C

Pelorus

I emailed them about it. Got the usual "we'll tell our developers, but please remember we don't comment on forthcoming features" kind of BS.

Sure had hoped phase would have gotten the 100-200 profile fixed. Really needs to be addressed mainly for vignette issues.

Paul C

Paul2660

I have been emailing them with offers to send them files to get the Nikon 80-400 added but it never makes the cut. Excellent lens with a lot of vignetting.

Hope they get it in some day as their profiles are very good.

Paul C

Pelorus

I've just shot tethered to Capture One 20 for the first time using the GFX 50R...not very pleasant. This worked seamlessly with version 12.

With version 20 it was fine for the first 4 shots. After that, each time I took a shot it attempted to spawn a new instance of C1. Capture One threw an error each time "Only one instance blah blah" and the shot was not imported to the initial instance. It was saved to the card however.

I'll do some more experimenting then I'll file a support case.

SOLVED: I had installed Fujifilm's Acquire software to back up camera settings. Ditching that fixed the problem!!

Last edited:

Thorkil

it seems perhaps as a consequence of the capital-fond Axel is a new owner, that cashflow as first priority, has taken over in foreground in stead of solid, confidential and qualitybased development.
That was my fear
I think I might let the offer by the upgrade pass for now..

Pemihan

it seems perhaps as a consequence of the capital-fond Axel is a new owner, that cashflow as first priority, has taken over in foreground in stead of solid, confidential and qualitybased development.
That was my fear
I think I might let the offer by the upgrade pass for now..
Yes that is unfortunately pretty obvious. Just look at the IQ4 150 still not up to date.

Paul2660

But for me the advantages, far outweight the shortcomings.

If you are user of any of the masking tools, and layers, the issues with 12 on a MacPro 2016 gen fully loaded 6 way with GFX100 or IQ4 files was that once you were into 3 or more layers and wanted to auto mask, 12 really slowed down. With open GL enabled for processing and display.

NOTE, if you use masks like me I am a huge fan of them, I have yet to find a better software with accurate masking for fine details (example treeline against a blue sky) then C1, adding to the power is the luma masking which I tend to use in combination with auto mask to refine it.

C1 20 seems to shows less time intensive needs for this in the larger raws with up to 6 to 8 layers. But the hang up for me is the auto mask calibration time (which can take as much as 45 seconds to re calibrate at times) However it does allow for a huge amount of control on a mask.

IMO C1's masking control is very impressive, LR has come closer with latest releases, but I still find I prefer C1.

The fact that the division of Phase running C1 (supposedly now a sep division in company) can't step up and take the time to handle lens profiles is disturbing. Especially on main line glass from Nikon and Fuji and others.

Paul C

vjbelle

I totally agree with Paul regarding the masking capabilities of C1. However for use outside of Phase files I find C1 lagging behind Adobe Raw for rendering fine details. My Sony 7RM4 files require a lot of extra sharpening in C1 and even with that effort the files never look as detailed as C1. My Fuji 50s files also gain some detail in Adobe Raw with very very little increase in sharpening while C1 requires a lot of increase and still doesn't look as detailed. The magical shadow lifting and highlight attenuation that C1 performs on Phase files is nowhere to be found for other raw formats.

The real plus is with Phase One files where C1 really shines. There's some magic sauce that goes into those files that is never used for other raw formats. The only other program I have that will process a Phase One 4150 file is Irridient and the resulting file looks nothing like what can be accomplished in C1.

So for me C1 is a must for Phase files and available for free.

Victor

Last edited:

Paul2660

So true, I have noticed for years. Nikon and Fuji Both suffer on the finer details. Adding Structure helps a lot. But the LR conversion will always show a bit more finer details. Does fine on Phase files most of the time.

However, with the new sharpening software from Topaz and Focus Magic, I feel I can get back alot of it later on.

I also in C1 will often times add a mask and then reduce flow to around 15% and then sharpen the areas that the main pass of sharpening seems to miss.

C1 needs a dehaze tool so badly IMO also.

Paul C

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I attended Phase's Webinar today which was quite useful. I had already noted the improved handling of noise and the better HDR sliders, but the simplification of the color editor and crop tools is icing on the cake. Keeping in mind all my serious shooting is with Phase gear, I'm really happy with C20. Whether it was worth the upgrade price I'm not so sure but it's certainly an improvement over C12, especially the noise handling, important for someone who does a fair amount of hand-held work requiring higher ISOs. .

PeterA

I will upgrade to c20 when things settle down with Catalina and I will upgrade to catalina when things settle down with Catalina - the perpetual and yearly loop of frustration...

On Lightroom V C1 as far as sharpness goes- it is well known that LR starts with higher sharpening levels on import V C1 - simple as that. I can't see the 'better' sharpening outcomes in LR that are being referenced above.
The difference between C1 and LR for me is:

1. mainly C1 has better easier and more capability in colour and masking and includes layers V LR doesn't.
2. tethered shooting is better in C1
3. Catalogues are actually MORE stable in C1 than LR (eg LR has just destroyed ten years worth of cataloguing for me in the latest upgrade in Lightroom Classic....( file not found file not found file not found )

LR is better than C1 in integrating Photoshop in workflow ( at the margin)
LR has a better Library and search capability - until it breaks down

What I can say is that both Capture One AND Adobe - have forced me to rethink my long term DAM strategies and also to simplify my previous workflow in order to eliminate the now inevitable crapola that these beta ware companies insist on foisting on us - I dont think Apple are making it easier for anyone tbh.

Steve Hendrix

A warning today about Catalina 10.15.2 in combination with Capture One 12.1.4 and Capture One 20 is below. I believe the tethering being broken is the primary issue. Brad doesn't mention anything else, so if you're only ingesting file imports from non tethered shooting, I don't know that any caution is warranted.

Also, Brad has written up a nicely comprehensive guide for those who may be considering purchasing the new Mac Pro (especially for those who will primarily be using Capture One/Photoshop).

https://captureintegration.com/to-upgrade-or-not-to-upgrade/

https://captureintegration.com/do-not-update-to-mac-os-catalina-10-15-2/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Thorkil

I attended Phase's Webinar today which was quite useful. I had already noted the improved handling of noise and the better HDR sliders, but the simplification of the color editor and crop tools is icing on the cake. Keeping in mind all my serious shooting is with Phase gear, I'm really happy with C20. Whether it was worth the upgrade price I'm not so sure but it's certainly an improvement over C12, especially the noise handling, important for someone who does a fair amount of hand-held work requiring higher ISOs. .
that might be usefull words to me, even though I'm not in the MF digital area..I'll give the Webinar a try, when need some jump-over-distractions from work later today..

baudolino

What's the problem with tethering under Catalina and C20? I have tethered with both installed on my laptop without any issues, IQ3100 back...OK, I am on 10.15.1. so the problem is only with 10.15.2.?