The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Flip Lock problems

MrNikon

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to this forum, but feel the need to post a question that one of you may be able to answer. I recently upgraded my tripod/head combination and bought a Gitzo with an Arca Swiss Z1+ with the flip lock clamp. I am very happy with the Gitzo and the Z1+, but very unhappy with the flip lock clamp.
The flip lock have two steps where you have to release the flip lock to open it fully. I can live with the first, but no. two step is a PITA. You have to "Using your thumbnail, catch and slide the exposed silver worm gear inside the lever,
toward the end of the lever." - almost impossible if you are outside and wearing gloves.

Does anyone of you experts know of a way to safely disengage this silver worm gear???. Or do i have to invest in a standard clamp...

Best regards
Per J.

drunkenspyder

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to this forum, but feel the need to post a question that one of you may be able to answer. I recently upgraded my tripod/head combination and bought a Gitzo with an Arca Swiss Z1+ with the flip lock clamp. I am very happy with the Gitzo and the Z1+, but very unhappy with the flip lock clamp.
The flip lock have two steps where you have to release the flip lock to open it fully. I can live with the first, but no. two step is a PITA. You have to "Using your thumbnail, catch and slide the exposed silver worm gear inside the lever,
toward the end of the lever." - almost impossible if you are outside and wearing gloves.

Does anyone of you experts know of a way to safely disengage this silver worm gear???. Or do i have to invest in a standard clamp...

Best regards
Per J.
Welcome Per. This is a much-bemoaned design flaw, er, choice by Arca. I despise the flip-lock and have paid to have it replaced with RRS clamps on my Cubes. Some here have successfully replaced their clamps themselves.

JeRuFo

I was warned about the flip-lock by a dealer the first time I wanted to buy one and chose the normal screwlock (or whatever it is called). The thumbscrew does eat thin gloves though (together with the Lee filter holder). But otherwise I have no complaints, even with LF cameras on it. It always feels like a solid connection and is quite clear when it is or isn't fastened properly (which was my worry up front.)

Paul2660

Never had a problem releasing it (may be a newer design than I had), agree it's a two part process i.e. slide to release lock then open.

My issues were always having to readjust the tension screw dial each time I moved from a rm3di with Arca foot to a RRS L bracket camera. Trying to move that tiny adjustment screw for tension was impossible with gloves for sure.

I would recommend moving to the RRS lever release or having the Acra screw mount put on instead. I not had any plate the RRS lever release won't hold. Only problem with the screw mount is that it sticks out and can be damaged if you drop the tripod (yes I have done that).

Precision Camera in IL can do this for you, with either solution. As previous mentioned attempting to remove the current top plate can be difficult as Arca seems to use some form of lock-tite on their threads.

Paul C

MrNikon

Thank you for your answers. I think i will live with the fliplock for some time and then invest in the classic knob when s.w.m.b.o allows me to.... (she who must be obeyed!).

Regards
Per J.

kdphotography

Take care not to loosen the adjustment wheel/nut on the fliplock too much. It can be rather upsetting when your brand new, expensive AS tripod head explodes in your lap. :shocked:

It's not difficult to put back together, but upsetting nonetheless.

The AS Fliplock really is not bad once you get used to its peculiarities. Over the years I went from changing all my AS Fliplocks and heads to RRS lever release and classic knob clamps----and back again to the AS Flip Locks on my L60, L75 (coming) and Cube.

ken

dchew

Another safety tip: don't leave the flip lock open when nothing is installed. Close it for storage, especially when traveling. I've seen more than one person pick up their tripod in the back of a van, only to realize the flip lock had vibrated loose and exploded during the trip; various parts could not be found, which turns the tripod into a paperweight.

Dave

Steve Hendrix

I'm not going to say which camp I am in, but I will say that the Flip Lock produces more passionate reactions from my clients. :rolleyes:

That said, we took an order for a Flip Lock Cube last week, and when I described the choices of Classic Screw Tighten vs Flip Lock, I noted that what I like about the Classic Screw Tighten is that you have that tactile feel when you tighten it that the camera is indeed secured. With the Flip Lock, you may feel like you are trusting it a bit. But - once you have it dialed in, it is trustworthy. And the client I was discussing it with had a Flip Lock previously and said that what he likes about the Flip Lock is that he can glance at his tripod head and camera and know visually, even at a distance, that the camera is secured because of the position of the Flip Lock. With the Classic screw tighten, you don't know that unless you manually feel it and know that it is tight. This was valuable to him.

I agree with Dave Chew, while it may it seem like an odd design, once you're used to it, and especially when you get it dialed in, not that bad to use.

The RRS lever release is also an alternative, as Paul and others noted.

Steve Hendrix/CI

kdphotography

Another safety tip: don't leave the flip lock open when nothing is installed. Close it for storage, especially when traveling. I've seen more than one person pick up their tripod in the back of a van, only to realize the flip lock had vibrated loose and exploded during the trip; various parts could not be found, which turns the tripod into a paperweight.

Dave
Nah, never fear! I hear Dave Chew has an awesome set of tools and mad skills :thumbup::ROTFL:

MILESF

I very much like the flip-lock and wouldn’t have the other options. Yes, it can be a bit fiddly but I like the two clicks that confirm it’s locked. It is important to adjust the screw thread so it is not to loose and not too tight but once done it’s rock solid. I also used to carry a spare locking assembly in my tool kit just in case but must confess I have no idea where it is these days.