The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sails Chong rips Hasselblad a new one '

Godfrey

Why should I care what this goofball has to say?
And, more importantly, why should Hasselblad?

G

jduncan

Why should I care what this goofball has to say?
And, more importantly, why should Hasselblad?

G
Maybe because he is one of the more important faces of Hasselblad, he has been in countless HB events, one of the HB enbasadors is working form him, he is one of the top recognized chinesse photographers
etc.
After listening to the review, the "rips" is an overstatement. He dis a review of the camera, pointing some flaws. The insaceptable part (the lens falling appart) I agree with him 100% and that alone could have motivated him to do
the video. Pretty stupid of HB if they did not just change his lens. He don't seems to like DJI direction. P1 chould contact him, if he drops Hasselblad that could be a massive PR hit.

Best regards,

Last edited:

Godfrey

Maybe because he is one of the more important faces of Hasselblad, he has been in countless HB events, one of the HB enbasadors is working form him, he is one of the top recognized chinesse photographers
etc.
After listening to the review, the "rips" is an overstatement. He dis a review of the camera, pointing some flaws. The insaceptable part (the lens falling appart) I agree with him 100% and that alone could have motivated him to do
the video. Pretty stupid of HB if they did not just change his lens. He don't seems to like DJI direction. P1 chould contact him, if he drops Hasselblad that could be a massive PR hit.

Best regards,
Well, I'd never heard of him before. And his review seemed spotty and full of cutesy junk that makes it very unprofessional to my eye.

The fact that he had a problem with a lens, and subsequently a problem with getting service, well: I wouldn't judge that until I knew more about the details of the interaction. Of course Hasselblad should take care of customers who have encountered a failure or defect.

I am not/never concerned with PR hits to some company or another. I'm only concerned with what the equipment I buy does, how reliable it is, and how consistently it works. I've often read reviews which highlighted problems, failures, issues, etc etc, about equipment I have owned ... that I've never experienced at all despite using the same equipment in similar/same ways. I find a lot of these complaints and rants more an indication of the reviewers' sense of entitlement than accurate, objective reflection on the quality of the equipment.

G

Satrycon

never underestimate the Chinese market and their buying power...and there are some amazing photographers there by the way.

Godfrey

never underestimate the Chinese market and their buying power...and there are some amazing photographers there by the way.
Sure. I just didn't know anything about this guy or why I, or Hasselblad, should care about what he has to say. I looked him up. He makes some fine (and some rather over-stylized) photos and has a relationship with Hasselblad.

Great. I have to listen and agree with everything he says regards Hasselblad because of that.

Naah. I'll keep on making my photographs. Sorry I looked at this thread at all. Just another waste of time for me.

G

PeterA

You must have watched a different youtube video to to one you linked to - it was a very complimentary review with a few minor references to things that could be improved - delivered in typical understated and considered manner. Perhaps the nuances of his delivery were missed because you aren't familiar with Chinese manner. I liked the subtle slap in the face to dji when referencing colour change in X11D - followed up with "I don't like cameras with too much plastic in them" - in other words dji - stay away from Hasselblad beautiful aesthetics.

If that makes him a 'goofball' - wow.

sog1927

Generally pretty complimentary, aside from a few well-known issues. Humor in general doesn't seem to translate very well between cultures, which might lead to the review seeming a bit "unprofessional" to Western audiences. Because the X1D is so small, I think reviewers are tempted to compare it to FF 135 cameras, rather than to MF cameras. I'm sure if people were comparing it to PhaseOne or to an H6D-50c (or, for that matter, a 500 C/M with CFV-50c back), there'd be a lot fewer complaints about speed or blackout times. Or noise for that matter. After a few decades of listening to that "KERFLOP" sound of th 50x mirror and having to wait until I wind the camera to be able to see through the viewfinder, I've found the X1D to be eerily silent and very responsive - and I have the first-generation camera.

I'm not sure what Hasselblad is supposed to be "listening" to from this review that hasn't already been said. I suspect they've improved the speed and responsiveness of the camera about as much as they can given the sensor they're using.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The controversy is a waste of time.
The only effective way for a consumer to provide feedback to a manufacturer is to simply not buy what it is hawking.
To critique someone based on third party evidence is just silly.
My objection to this thread is that a relatively mild review is amplified to the negative with invective unrelated to the critique itself.

This is a stupid facebook-like trick and has no place in this forum.

Anybody heard the term "fake news?" LOL
Anyway, please demonstrate your opinions with images taken with the offending camera. Repairs are a lot easier now then when I was starting…
Back then I took my gear every year to Marty Forscher for a CLA.
The cameras knew when I was late and would go wonky without warning.
carry on, with personal experience only please.
-bob

B L

The controversy is a waste of time.
The only effective way for a consumer to provide feedback to a manufacturer is to simply not buy what it is hawking.
To critique someone based on third party evidence is just silly.
My objection to this thread is that a relatively mild review is amplified to the negative with invective unrelated to the critique itself.

This is a stupid facebook-like trick and has no place in this forum.

Anybody heard the term "fake news?" LOL
Anyway, please demonstrate your opinions with images taken with the offending camera. Repairs are a lot easier now then when I was starting…
Back then I took my gear every year to Marty Forscher for a CLA.
The cameras knew when I was late and would go wonky without warning.
carry on, with personal experience only please.
-bob
Uncle Bob, Agreed.