The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is Christmas time!

dave.gt

The time for good cheer and giving, right?:):):)

Well, my giving list is finished this year, at least the kind of giving that requires money. Just finished that today. But, I have many more items on my other list to work on, including some pro bono photographs, and simple things like helping someone in need, large or small needs, it doesn't matter.

The joy of giving is, to me, much more profound than Dante's game of buying more and buying now! :thumbup:

The really cool thing is, having been a recipient on many occasions from strangers and members on this forum (and they know who they are), the time of giving and good cheer is available all year long.:thumbdown:

People are in need everywhere for even the basics:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/23/us/homeless-living-in-vehicles-los-angeles/index.html

So, I am loaded with TriX, this week, I will shoot a small project that I have had in mind for awhile. I hope the results will be of some benefit to some local people.

dave.gt

Has anyone else (equipped with the best equipment ever available to photographers) thought about using their talent and skills in photography, or otherwise, to make a difference during the cold holiday season?:)

dave.gt

Has anyone else (equipped with the best equipment ever available to photographers) thought about using their talent and skills in photography, or otherwise, to make a difference during the cold holiday season?:)
Well, no response may be an indication that no one is actually doing anything as a gift to others. But I did and the tears of joy were well worth the time, energy and money.

In 2017, Steve Hendrix at CI, set us up with a studio purchase of equipment to do pro bono work at the Rehabilitation Hospital, providing portraits and a photo essay in book form telling their stories of achiecement in recovering from devastating trauma. The results were profound, not so much in our final published images and book, but in the response of the patients, their families and the hospital staff who participated in the projects.

The Joy of Giving.

As I type this on the tiny iPhone, I am making typos as usual, and we are preparing for yet another rehab physical therapy session of ourselves while many people are on vacation. We are also looking forward to it! Partly because of the therapists and staff at the hospital who make all the difference between a miserable experience and a great experience in therapy. They are all friends now. And they appreciate their efforts being appreciated because they want to see patients get better and live full lives.

Christmas 2019 is but a memory. The new year is ahead, so what are we going to do with it? We, as patient/carer, are resolute in our decision to give more.

The joy of giving comes full circle.:):):)

If you have not done much of this giving as a photographer, I highly recommend giving it a try!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dave,

Your energies spent beyond the difficulties of your immediate family are admirable!

Sometimes our vision can't extend beyond that. I have been providing pictures of our cat to a hospitalized daughter. Alas, this has nothing to do with the season and everything to do with circumstances, so I guess it fails on both counts.

Best,

Matt

pegelli

Well, no response may be an indication that no one is actually doing anything as a gift to others. But I did and the tears of joy were well worth the time, energy and money.
Well, I can say I already do many years of helping set up and do pro-bono photography at the Sinterklaas party of my former employer. It's a joy to see all the kids grow bigger and talk with the parents. They all appreciate the effort the organisers (all volunteers) put into the party and the memories they get in the form of photo's afterwards. If you would have posted this in the site talk or sunset bar threads I would probably have answered earlier, didn't really understand it was a general question and not just aimed at the "Medium Format Systems and Digital Backs" crowd.

dave.gt

Well, I can say I already do many years of helping set up and do pro-bono photography at the Sinterklaas party of my former employer. It's a joy to see all the kids grow bigger and talk with the parents. They all appreciate the effort the organisers (all volunteers) put into the party and the memories they get in the form of photo's afterwards. If you would have posted this in the site talk or sunset bar threads I would probably have answered earlier, didn't really understand it was a general question and not just aimed at the "Medium Format Systems and Digital Backs" crowd.
Thanks!!'

My time and energy is limited so I don't visit many forums. I don't even have time to scan and correct typos.:( .., my own fail.

I appreciate your long work with pro bono shoots. It is indeed a labor of love, which says something really great for the photographer.:thumbs:

D&A

Giving back to others is one of the most rewarding experiences in life....whether it's in the form of photography or any other endeavor. It all counts and is immensely appreciated by the recipients. I'm sure in one form or another most here in the forums give of their time and effort to achieve such means and each have their own stories. Dave, yours are most inspiring and sometimes there's not enough hours in the day with regards to other obligations (work, family etc.), that may be responsible for the lack of responses. I'm sure though your words have a profound effect on those reading them. Enjoy the holiday season.

Dave (D&A)