The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo Walk with Alpa in London

eisbaer

Hi,

This is maybe a little bit of topic, but I have no idea where to ask. My wife an me will visit London from 3rd to 8th January. Now I’m looking for a photo walk from experienced Photographer who knows London by heart, which you can join with an Alpa/IQ4.
I am googling since days and find either photo walks With the hint don’t bring a tripod, or with images that we find not so ideal.
Any hints for a private or Group Tour in this timeframe are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

Bugleone

I have lived my whole life in and around London. I would never attempt to 'walk' around central London carrying an expensive (or eye-catching) camera...it will probably attract security police quite quickly via CCTV which is the most of any European city...if it's not the police then it will unhappily be the huge army of foreign thieves who will quickly see you as a target.

Sorry to be so negative but this is a really bad idea! There are groups who do night photography of London scenes but they operate with considerable security and the pre-knowledge of police. The police in london are usually unfriendly and suspicous of casual photographers who attempt to linger and will often threaten photogs with non exisent laws to deter them...this was more o fa problem a few years back when police began to be be out of control but there are less of them now, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Anyway, london is largely about foreign people, both visitors and inhabitants it has no reference to England itself or the other very interesting cities in the UK, which are mostly much more friendly to tourists and photographers.

yaya

Bridges and river banks are usually OK to walk around and take photos of/ from, also with a tripod, without being hassled by police or other people. One option is to draw a zigzag shaped route criss-crossing the river and you are almost guaranteed to find good spots for cityscapes with plenty of little discoveries on side-streets.
Make sure you're wrapped well as January can be a bit nippy around here...
BR
Yair

Geoff

About 5 years ago, was wandering around the River and the South Bank in central London, and found a walkway area near the Theater with great graffiti. But after a few shots, the security folks chased me off even tho it was a public area with homeless folks sleeping there openly. Was able to shoot on a nearby bridge without a problem. Seems that urban photog works best if you are quick on your feet.

Its not just London or England: was once photographing old steel mills in the midwest and got harassed by Homeland Security, who stopped it and ushered me along. Turns out that the mills have some waterfrontage on their other side (on Lake Michigan) and that makes them part of larger security concerns. Seemed very odd at the time.

Seems like traditional dividing lines between public and private must now include some amorphous "secure" zone, which is non-photo friendly but also is open to local interpretation.

pegelli

My experience of walking/photographing around London with a tripod during the dark hours is 10 years ago so things probably have changed somewhat.

But then when I was approached by the police who asked what I was doing I explained I was a hobby photographer, just shooting for my own pleasure they believed me. They were polite when they approached me and I politely responded, everything went along in a positive spirit. And when I asked they were even willing to pose for me. :)

Bugleone

Actually, these are not police...they are 'community support oficers'...ie a trip-wire force of non trained watchmen who have no formal powers of arrest. Note that this location close to Palace of Westminter is now a scurity hot-spot. Persons who attempt to take 'serious' photographs at this spot are usually detained very quickly......a friend of a friend was aprehended here by a black speed boat with ten black suited 'commando' figures armed with machine guns. They arrived within half a minute of his pausing on the bridge and were able to get up onto the roadway very quickly and silently......

paulgrundy

I have lived my whole life in and around London. I would never attempt to 'walk' around central London carrying an expensive (or eye-catching) camera...it will probably attract security police quite quickly via CCTV which is the most of any European city...if it's not the police then it will unhappily be the huge army of foreign thieves who will quickly see you as a target.
With respect, as you have never attempted to photograph in central London your comments are just conjecture.

I have spent 40 years, day in day out, photographing architecture and locations in London. I always use a tripod, usually with MF cameras and often work alone. I have never been robbed and nobody (foreign or British) has ever tried to rob me. I guess that a few photographers over these 40 years will have had their cameras nicked so maybe I and all my photographer friends have just been lucky....

Over the years I have had the odd low level run in with drunks and junkies but nothing serious.

Regarding Police and security guards.

In the aftermath of the 2007 bombings in London the Met Police introduced a policy of questioning photographers on the streets. As you can imagine every day there are thousands of people taking photos in London so they mainly concentrated on photographers using tripods. Their MO was to ask you what you were photographing and why and then issue a Stop & Search form which acted as a day permit. In my experience the police were often embarrassed by the stupidity of this policy but they were always polite and friendly. After around 3 years photographers had had enough and there was a large demo in Trafalgar Square.
The police, God Bless them, immediately dropped this practice and things would have returned to normal but...

Post 2007 the police had spoken to the security guards and maintenance staff of London's larger buildings and had informed them that they were the police's eyes and ears on the ground. A role that they zealously embraced and again mainly tripod users, were and still are, targeted.

Unfortunately the police never got around to telling the security community of their new light touch policy. So over the years I have honed my response to their questions and requests for ID to "If you have reason to believe that you a witnessing an act of terror you should phone the police." Repeating as necessary into it sinks in.
Eventually it works and with their pride slightly wounded they return into their building. Occasionally they will phone the cops for guidance.

However your main risk of running into security is on all the land in London that looks like public land but is in fact owned or leased by private companies. Just a few examples: Anywhere in Docklands.(it is like a city within a city. Think of the Vatican in Rome only here the god is money.) All the road leading to Tower Bridge, all the river front south and west of said bridge. Paternoster Square by St Paul's. New Street Square in the City. The bottom half of Trafalgar Square (but not the top half) All the main parks in London are owned and run by the City of London who charge for professional photography. Again your tripod will draw their attention.

Frank, if you are prepared to pay for a photo tour I would propose that you spend your money on a freelance assistant and tell him or her the sort of stuff you like to shoot in advance and between you both you can work out a plan. He can even carry the gear..

Your biggest danger in London will be looking the wrong way when you cross the road..

Enjoy your trip!

Paul

paulgrundy

With respect, as you have never attempted to photograph in central London your comments are just conjecture.

I have spent 40 years, day in day out, photographing architecture and locations in London. I always use a tripod, usually with MF cameras and often work alone. I have never been robbed and nobody (foreign or British) has ever tried to rob me. I guess that a few photographers over these 40 years will have had their cameras nicked so maybe I and all my photographer friends have just been lucky....

Over the years I have had the odd low level run in with drunks and junkies but nothing serious.

Regarding Police and security guards.

In the aftermath of the 2007 bombings in London the Met Police introduced a policy of questioning photographers on the streets. As you can imagine every day there are thousands of people taking photos in London so they mainly concentrated on photographers using tripods. Their MO was to ask you what you were photographing and why and then issue a Stop & Search form which acted as a day permit. In my experience the police were often embarrassed by the stupidity of this policy but they were always polite and friendly. After around 3 years photographers had had enough and there was a large demo in Trafalgar Square.
The police, God Bless them, immediately dropped this practice and things would have returned to normal but...

Post 2007 the police had spoken to the security guards and maintenance staff of London's larger buildings and had informed them that they were the police's eyes and ears on the ground. A role that they zealously embraced and again mainly tripod users, were and still are, targeted.

Unfortunately the police never got around to telling the security community of their new light touch policy. So over the years I have honed my response to their questions and requests for ID to "If you have reason to believe that you a witnessing an act of terror you should phone the police." Repeating as necessary into it sinks in.
Eventually it works and with their pride slightly wounded they return into their building. Occasionally they will phone the cops for guidance.

However your main risk of running into security is on all the land in London that looks like public land but is in fact owned or leased by private companies. Just a few examples: Anywhere in Docklands.(it is like a city within a city. Think of the Vatican in Rome only here the god is money.) All the road leading to Tower Bridge, all the river front south and west of said bridge. Paternoster Square by St Paul's. New Street Square in the City. The bottom half of Trafalgar Square (but not the top half) All the main parks in London are owned and run by the City of London who charge for professional photography. Again your tripod will draw their attention.

Frank, if you are prepared to pay for a photo tour I would propose that you spend your money on a freelance assistant and tell him or her the sort of stuff you like to shoot in advance and between you both you can work out a plan. He can even carry the gear..

Your biggest danger in London will be looking the wrong way when you cross the road..

Enjoy your trip!

Paul

MrSmith

Agree with the above, (25 years living and working in London)
Just be aware of the ‘more london’ part of southbank around the mayoral office off tooley st. It’s actually private land a tripod will see you spoken to by security very quickly. I have shot there but as a location hire and it wasn’t cheap!

eisbaer

Hello all,

thanks a lot for alle the input and the vivid discussion. Especially the long post from Paul is very appreciated. Great idea to hire an assistant. Probably costs the same as a guided tour with somebody with no photography background.
I visted London twice last year (before and after Christmas 2018 and shot a lot with my Alpa / IQ3 / IQ4 and was never approached by security. (Klopf auf Holz / Knock on Wood) :)
But great tips about the Areas where it might lead to problems. I'll try to avoid these places.

Any tips for hiring an assistant in London? Best online platform? Facebook Group?

Thanks a lot
Frank

B L

Hello all,

thanks a lot for alle the input and the vivid discussion. Especially the long post from Paul is very appreciated. Great idea to hire an assistant. Probably costs the same as a guided tour with somebody with no photography background.
I visted London twice last year (before and after Christmas 2018 and shot a lot with my Alpa / IQ3 / IQ4 and was never approached by security. (Klopf auf Holz / Knock on Wood) :)
But great tips about the Areas where it might lead to problems. I'll try to avoid these places.

Any tips for hiring an assistant in London? Best online platform? Facebook Group?

Thanks a lot
Frank
I will assist you for free if you come to Yorkshire!
Yorkshire is not a bad place at all.

MrSmith

you could try https://www.photoassistant.co.uk but no idea of the knowledge you will get

or i know a couple of assistants but i would think you are looking at £300 for a day (i pay that and and more for my assistants).
how much is a ‘photo’ guide?

what locations are you after? I’m sure the london based members could give you a list.
i would happily show you round but i’m waiting to see what days i'm booked for the first week back.

paulgrundy

Hello all,
Frank

Frank, you could try The Association of Photographers website:

https://www.the-aop.org/find/assisting-photographers.

or: https://we.assistlondon.co.uk/

Or: https://www.photoassistant.co.uk/

More variable quality but you can send your request to all their registered assistants.

A quick caveat. I have never hired assistants from these sites. For the last 10 years I have worked with a couple of freelancers, one who has now pretty much transitioned into a successful photographer and the second who works with me mainly on interior shoots and processes most of my work.

Cheers,

Paul

paulgrundy

you could try https://www.photoassistant.co.uk but no idea of the knowledge you will get

or i know a couple of assistants but i would think you are looking at £300 for a day (i pay that and and more for my assistants).
how much is a ‘photo’ guide?

what locations are you after? I’m sure the london based members could give you a list.
i would happily show you round but i’m waiting to see what days i'm booked for the first week back.
Good to see you are looking after your assistants MrSmith.
I'd say most assistants will take a view on rates depending on the nature of the shoot, as indeed photographers do. I'm assuming your shoot is not commercial? So I would say you could find a good assistant for half that figure - especially in the first week of January when work is often slow after the Christmas break.

Paul

danlindberg

I did part of my university studies in London and was living there for two years. Yes, this was in the stoneage, 1990-1991, so has nothing to do with today of course. But, I was out 'a lot' with my Canon F1, half a dozen lenses and shot Ilford FP4's and HP5's. I lived in Kensington but was all over the city. Not once was I stopped and asked what I was doing. Again, a long time ago, but just saying that I have a very pleasant memory of London and photography out in public.

alistairsimmons

Hello all,

Thanks a lot
Frank
Hi Frank

I have just seen this after the New Year break, but if you are planning to do any night photography between now and when you leave, I would be happy to join you and assist if needed. With work during the daylight hours, I won't be available before 6pm, but let me know if I can be of any use at all.

Al

eisbaer

Hi all,

so... Now I've been to London for 5 days. Never seen any security at all.. Been to Tower Bridge, Millennium Bridge, Smithfield Meat Market (at 2am) nobody ever asked for a permission...
Except... Been at Windsor.... Was approached by an official.... He looked at my Alpa / Phase 150...then we talked tech about 10 Minutes... Then he told me.... If I see your equipment I am sure you have a permission (which is needed) to shoot here... Have fun... Then he went to chase DSLR's of the ground, while I was still adjusting my tripod :) * evil grin *
Pano_Shar_Bridges_2400.jpg
TowerBridgePanorama2400.jpg

Last edited:

eisbaer

Hi Al,

I've been to your shop... Saw your offer to late... Sorry.. Is there only one Phase One Dealer left in UK?.... Too sad.. How will you do it after Brexit? Me an my wife love London, but Boris is killing every Business... But the UK ibiza Vistors and Sun Readers will only notice it after their wages drop 40%... Which they will do in the next 5 years... The rich people will get richer, the poor, poorer. So Sad...

MrSmith

the U.k only needs one dealer, lets face it you do not wander in off the street with £20-40k burning a hole in your pocket wanting to see some camera gear!
if you want a P1 camera you have to travel to London, its not like you are travelling from east to west coast in the U.S.