The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss 75

Don Libby

Recieved the Arca Swiss 75 a couple minutes ago and want to share a couple thoughts.

I had used the Cube for many years shooting Phase One and Tech and enjoyed it. I sold the Cube (I'll start calling it Pop) shortly after I stopped using eith the Phase and Tech. I still used an Arca Swiss head and missing Pop I decided to buy the 60 which until the 75 was introduced was called the "Mini". I caught myself thinking of getting Pop again when Arca Swiss introduced the 75 and I held off. I ordered the 75 (which I am now calling Mini) mid Novemeber from B&H and received it today. Just so we can all keep up I've begun calling the 60 "Baby"; the 75 "Mini" and the orginal is "Pop".

The Mini is much smaller than Pop as I remember. It is however slightly larger than Baby. There's a lot to like about the Mini. Slightly larger, with larger numbers and control knobs. It can also be adjusted higher than the Baby.

Here's what the Baby and Mini look like together...

Here are a couple shots of the Mini configured at the stops...

Here's what they weigh

Mini

Baby

Both heads are attached to a RRS QR plate. Checked B&H and find they are currently in stock with free shipping. :SPAM:

Was spending $725 worth it? I'd have to say yes it was.

Happy New Years to all

Don

Don Libby

Christopher

Joe, are there any markings on the RRS clamp? I couldn’t see them on your image and I hate not to have a zero point. (So that the camera is parallel to one movement.)

Hausen

I think my AS 60mm is one of the best accessories I have ever bought so I imagine the 75mm would be just as good.

jng

Re: Arca Swiss L75 Leveler

I modified my Arca-Swiss L75 Leveler by replacing the A-S Classic clamp with an RRS lever clamp and by adding an RRS dovetail to the bottom for easy mounting and removal from my tripod (which is equipped with an RRS clamp)... This modification isn't for the faint of heart and definitely voids the warranty... The modification retains the detents on the top stage. If anyone is interested in the details, please contact me.

Joe
Hi Joe,

This looks great. Maintaining proper alignment of the detents would be a requirement for me. I'm wondering how non-faint of heart one needs to be to carry out a DIY clamp swap? I recall Dave Chew at some point describing this for the L60 (not the one involving a Sawzall :ROTFL:) but I lost enthusiasm for the idea when I imagined itsy bitsy parts flying across the room. I wonder whether Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works can/will do this modification as he did for my Cube.

John

Don Libby

Re: Arca Swiss L75 Leveler

Hi Joe,This looks great. Maintaining proper alignment of the detents would be a requirement for me. I'm wondering how non-faint of heart one needs to be to carry out a DIY clamp swap? I recall Dave Chew at some point describing this for the L60 (not the one involving a Sawzall :ROTFL:) but I lost enthusiasm for the idea when I imagined itsy bitsy parts flying across the room. I wonder whether Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works can/will do this modification as he did for my Cube.John
John, every time I've one of these it included a heat gun and a lot of cussing. It can be done - just not easy to do,

jng

Thanks, Don. I might leave well enough alone or seek professional help (literally) if I ever decide to do the swap. As I've found the RRS lever clamp doesn't always securely grasp some manufacturers' base plates, the original screw-type clamp is in fact a bit more versatile so I may just leave well enough alone. For now.

John

jng

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the detailed description. Reading this reminds me of my reaction when I first watched the movie "Scared Straight." :bugeyes: I think I'll continue to enjoy my L60 (and perhaps in the future the L75) in its unmolested state.

John

ShaunQ

My new L75 arrived during the week, Thanks Brad! Beautiful piece of equipment and it replaces my D4 as the majority of my shooting is on level ground to start with so didn't need the movement of the D4 and it saves a few pennies on walking weight. Really love the L75, perfect size for a larger camera system without being overly big or too small, for me it sits on a Feisol 3372 tripod with the leveling base which is a great looking combination.

Appreciate the zero detents of the geared movements which the D4 lacked, and the 90º detents in the top pan. Only small whinge would be the level in the clamp, first of all being in a pointless place as it gets covered easily by a larger camera, and the fact that with my particular L75 the level is quite far out of level from factory. I have the bubble on the leveling base and also have removed the clamp of the L75 and fitted a Desmond level plate between the clamp and the top plate of the L75. If I level up the base, the Desmond bubble level shows the same, however the Arca bubble is off by quite a way. Not such a big issue I guess if the camera covers the level anyway but would be nice if these were accurate from factory, I have also checked it across a plain builders level.

Anyway, it's a beautiful piece of space grade aluminum to have on hand, I went for a wander along the beach this morning to shoot some images of the mangroves, couldn't help but look the other way as a storm front rolled in over the islands and across to land where I was perched. Would have been nice to have a higher vantage point but that doesn't exist in the lowlands. A quick shot of the Arca Swiss L75...

The resulting 3 image pano with minor raw adjustments and a stitch in PS...