The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpack help please

Shashin

I agree with Dave about the front, back, and top loading designs. That is an important choice with some real advantages with the back loader. But that was one compromise I made for an airline carry-on design with the Farpoint 40--but it does have a panel to hide the straps which can be useful in the field to an extent.

One other point about using inserts is protection against the weather. In the Japanese Alps, you are almost guaranteed to be walking through driving rain for several hours every day. Under those conditions, even with a rain cover on your pack, the contents will get wet/damp. I have a garbage bag around my inserts so when it does start to rain, I can simply open the pack and close the bag around the inserts, giving them a waterproof membrane to protect them.

Last edited:

Pelorus

I'm struggling using Flickr to host these for the first time...how do I get a decent URL out of flickr to place reasonable size images here :eek:

Channelling Dave's very informative post above albeit without the weight tables. I agree with Shashin about the need for back opening. I just cannot abide the frustrating F-Stop access system. I find the zips difficult and then access to the ICU is difficult if you haven't already opened the top. I end up worrying about damaging the zips as well. The Atrack on the other hand has a single zip which is really quick, simple and rugged to access. To Shashin's other point it is also 100% waterproof in the true sense of the word - if you leave it full of air when you close the zip then it will stay like that.

First a view of the front showing the bag strapped down and showing the sidestraps that will hold a tripod and the small tethers on the front that I use for a monopod:

Next the back of the bag in the strapped down position. Note the adjustment for the back pads:

Now with the straps released ready to open

Opened showing the Small Pro ICU in the closed position. Note that the main zip is well clear of the ICU giving complete access

Next with the ICU open showing the GFX50R and the 100-200 zoom

Then with the 32-64 mounted on the camera but the cloth removed

It's the easiest access backpack I'v e ever used and incredibly fast and simple. This is the 25 litre and as you can see there's plenty of room for a jacket and jumper. I carry documents in one of the external side pockets in a tethered case and either a water bottle or a brolly in the other.

I agree with Dave about the front, back, and top loading designs. That is an important choice with some real advantages with the back loader. But that was one compromise I made for an airline carry-on design with the Farpoint 40--but it does have a panel to hide the straps which can be useful in the field to an extent.

One other point about using inserts is protection against the weather. In the Japanese Alps, you are almost guaranteed to be walking through driving rain for several hours every day. Under those conditions, even with a rain cover on your pack, the contents will get wet/damp. I have a garbage bag around my inserts so when it does start to rain, I can simply open the pack and close the bag around the inserts, giving them a waterproof membrane to protect them.

Greg Haag

I'm struggling using Flickr to host these for the first time...how do I get a decent URL out of flickr to place reasonable size images here :eek:

Channelling Dave's very informative post above albeit without the weight tables. I agree with Shashin about the need for back opening. I just cannot abide the frustrating F-Stop access system. I find the zips difficult and then access to the ICU is difficult if you haven't already opened the top. I end up worrying about damaging the zips as well. The Atrack on the other hand has a single zip which is really quick, simple and rugged to access. To Shashin's other point it is also 100% waterproof in the true sense of the word - if you leave it full of air when you close the zip then it will stay like that.

First a view of the front showing the bag strapped down and showing the sidestraps that will hold a tripod and the small tethers on the front that I use for a monopod:

Next the back of the bag in the strapped down position. Note the adjustment for the back pads:

Now with the straps released ready to open

Opened showing the Small Pro ICU in the closed position. Note that the main zip is well clear of the ICU giving complete access

Next with the ICU open showing the GFX50R and the 100-200 zoom

Then with the 32-64 mounted on the camera but the cloth removed

It's the easiest access backpack I'v e ever used and incredibly fast and simple. This is the 25 litre and as you can see there's plenty of room for a jacket and jumper. I carry documents in one of the external side pockets in a tethered case and either a water bottle or a brolly in the other.
That looks like a great setup. Is that backpack as comfortable to wear as it looks?

Pelorus

That looks like a great setup. Is that backpack as comfortable to wear as it looks?
It is, it's very adjustable and I also change it up during the day. Sometimes I wear it without the hip belt done up, then I do the hip belt up. Sometimes with the chest strap, sometimes without. Getting the height of the harness right on those tapes marked "S" "M" or "L" is the key to comfort and then adjusting the straps that bring the top of the pack closer or let it out further. Once you get that right it's a great backpack. I suspect the additional size of the 35L or 45L would be even more comfortable. I'm very broad across the shoulders and an additional couple of cm would be nice sometimes.

Final point is I have an X-Pro 3 and 2 primes set up in an F-Stop Micro Tiny ICU and it will fit into the pack where the orange pouch is as well, giving you a two camera set up if you don't mind the weight.

As a final aside, during my recent trip to Japan it became apparent that there was a small manufacturing fault on one of the shoulder straps. The stitching hadn't quite caught the turquoise mesh in one place and it frayed slightly. On return to Australia the Ortlieb distributor instantly replaced the whole pack with a new one with no questions asked. Their comment: "You have a 5 year warranty and we mean it".

vieri

Vieri,
Thank you for your input, I have heard great things about the comfort of the Shimoda bags. I hope you will share your thoughts when the Action X arrives.
Thanks again,
Greg
Hello Greg,

will surely do. Got notice from Shimoda two days ago, hopefully they should be shipping soon. I hope the bags will arrive before the end of January so that I'll be able to bring them with me for my two-month spring Workshop stretch - otherwise, it'll have to wait until April when I'll be home again :)

Best regards,

Vieri

kdphotography

I recently purchased the Mindshift 26L----it is a smaller pack, with its main purpose to carry my Cambo WRS 1600, lenses, filters and accessories in the smallest pack possible. When flying business or first class, bringing a large pack is not a problem. However, I am more apt to fly coach on domestic flights. The difficulty is that other passengers often take too many carry-ons and hog up the overhead storage compartments. The Mindshift 26L allows me to take all my gear, and if needed, it can also easily be stowed under the seat. The Mindshift carries an impressive amount of gear for a smaller pack, with ample room for a laptop and tablet if desired. The pack is comfortable and the hip straps work well. I could easily opt for the larger 36L for my larger pack needs, but I am still drawn to the Atlas packs. The depth of the Atlas Athlete won't allow me to stow my Cambo with lens and back attached (at least not easily) whereas the Mindshift will hold the Cambo with HR40 and IQ4 attached stashed on its side. The larger Atlas Adventure is needed to do the same.

I opted to use dividers in the Mindshift pack (as opposed to ICUs) which I find help to maintain rigidity in the pack. I used different padded dividers and more padding at the bottom of the pack for additional protection to the camera as well as extra support around the mounted lens using the rain cover and extra microfiber cloths under the digital back. The photos show a 3 lens kit (40/70/90), though I could take along 4 lenses (add 120) by reworking the divider layout. H&Y filter holder and filter case along the side. LCC and single bay Phase battery charger at top; Rear spacer for 90/120; small f-stop pouch holds several spare Phase batteries. Empty slots still available and plenty of room for more accessories. Nice bag! :thumbup:

Ken
View attachment 146703View attachment 146704View attachment 146705

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Ken,
That is amazing, that a kit will fit in a 26L, really nice compact setup! Thanks for taking the time for the detailed description and pictures!
Thanks again,
Greg

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I completely agree about the depth limitation of the Athlete. Almost every lens has to lie on its side (with the pack on the ground), but having a 6"x6" body like the GFX100 means using up a large square chunk of real estate. My solution:

The GFX100 body is resting in a small f-stop ICU sitting in the main compartment. Of course, if your lenses don't fit in the Athlete depth, then this trick is useless. I find it a great compromise.

Matt
so I just received my Athlete, was going to try a configuration similar to yours, and there is no zipper that allows access to the compartment where you show your GFX Body. Was this something that had to be ordered with the bag or special order, or is yours a little older bag and they killed that zipper?

I think I might try to build a special “ICU” to allow the camera with attached 32-64 to be placed through the top, which might be kind of nice since you could access the camera quickly without having to open up the back.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
so I just received my Athlete, was going to try a configuration similar to yours, and there is no zipper that allows access to the compartment where you show your GFX Body. Was this something that had to be ordered with the bag or special order, or is yours a little older bag and they killed that zipper?

I think I might try to build a special “ICU” to allow the camera with attached 32-64 to be placed through the top, which might be kind of nice since you could access the camera quickly without having to open up the back.
Wayne,

Damn. The Athlete Medium doesn't have that zipper. The Large does. You have to scroll almost to the bottom of the Athlete page to see both interiors. Apologies for not specifying that mine was the large.

I like the ICU on top opening up idea, as I waste a lot of space having the ICU on its side. I also have no way to carry the body with a lens mounted in my layout.

--Matt

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Wayne,

Damn. The Athlete Medium doesn't have that zipper. The Large does. You have to scroll almost to the bottom of the Athlete page to see both interiors. Apologies for not specifying that mine was the large.

I like the ICU on top opening up idea, as I waste a lot of space having the ICU on its side. I also have no way to carry the body with a lens mounted in my layout.

--Matt
Never realized the size difference change the pack, I thought it was just about how the straps were configured to carry it. I may write them and see if they’ll take it back, if not at least trade it for the larger one. I’m about 5’9” so I debated on which one to order anyway, as I guess I’m on the “bubble” as to which size to use.

Just received the adventure today, and if I take of the GFX viewfinder, it fits with the lens attached. I hardly ever use the viewfinder anyway and it’s easy to pop on if I need it (sort of like the waist level finder of the XF), so I think the adventure will work pretty well. Its sort of long, but I like how it’s slender. I don’t like how the adventure has a rounded bottom, but I like how the entire back unzips and opens. My problem with the f-stop bag is the back opening is only about 75% of the size of the bag, so stuff gets stuck underneath the lip it leaves. I’ll post a picture once I get the adventure all setup. I may change ICU’s and configure the F-Stop for my Cambo DB kit.

onasj

I suspect someone else has already made this recommendation, but I highly recommend the Peak Design Travel Backpack with the peak design camera cubes (ICUs)–the entire system is extremely well designed. I have an F-stop system and prefer the Peak Design line in terms of functionality, design, price, and aesthetics.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Never realized the size difference change the pack, I thought it was just about how the straps were configured to carry it. I may write them and see if they’ll take it back, if not at least trade it for the larger one. I’m about 5’9” so I debated on which one to order anyway, as I guess I’m on the “bubble” as to which size to use.

Just received the adventure today, and if I take of the GFX viewfinder, it fits with the lens attached. I hardly ever use the viewfinder anyway and it’s easy to pop on if I need it (sort of like the waist level finder of the XF), so I think the adventure will work pretty well. Its sort of long, but I like how it’s slender. I don’t like how the adventure has a rounded bottom, but I like how the entire back unzips and opens. My problem with the f-stop bag is the back opening is only about 75% of the size of the bag, so stuff gets stuck underneath the lip it leaves. I’ll post a picture once I get the adventure all setup. I may change ICU’s and configure the F-Stop for my Cambo DB kit.
I agree that the Adventure is easier ergonomically, but it is large and heavy for around town.

For the Athlete, All my ICU's or similar are a bit large to fit nicely in the top, so I built a support out of padded dividers. It holds the GFX100 with 100-200 mounted (hood reversed), so I think I'll keep this setup for above the dedicated lens section:

Note: no need to have the zippered access between the two pack sections!

Best,

Matt

rdeloe

Earlier in this thread, Mike (pelorus) recommended the Ortlieb Atrack backpack. I was intrigued because it seemed to have everything I was looking for (water proof, good harness, lots of room, simple, flexible). Mike had the 25L model, which I thought might be a bit small. Thanks to his enthusiasm and helpful advice, I decided to try one of these in 35L.

I wanted to update this thread not only to second Mike's enthusiasm for the Ortlieb Atrack, which is really excellent, but also to showcase a solution to my layout problem that may be relevant to other people. In a nutshell, I wanted to be able to carry an assembled Toyo VX23D digital view camera. These cameras are extremely sturdy, but they don't pack easily, and the bellows they use -- while tough and durable -- need to be protected. I didn't want to have to disassemble the Toyo every time I needed to carry it anywhere.

I looked at all kinds of inserts and decided the best way to go was to build my own. The product I used is called "Kaizen Foam". It comes in all kinds of colours (not just the rather unfortunate yellow that I chose). Kaizen Foam is normally used by people who want more organized toolboxes. You draw out the shape of your tool on the foam, cut to the required depth, and peel off as many layers as needed. I used 3 layers of the 57mm thick foam to build a protective enclosure for my Toyo VX23D and Fuji GFX50R. The layers are glued together with 3M 77 spray adhesive. Everything else I need to carry (lenses, bits and pieces) travels in the backpack in its own protective case or pouch.

Here's what it looks like loaded up. There's not a lot of extra room, but I can fit in some clothing, food and water. This is not a setup for overnight hikes.

The main piece of the foam insert holds the Toyo, while a "peninsula" of foam juts out at the top and holds my GFX 50R. The lenses are loaded in the empty space around the 50R. Both the 50R and the VX23D are locked into their compartments because of the snug fit. I can pull them out with one hand, but when they're in their compartments, they're so secure that I can lean the pack forward and they won't fall out; the lenses will of course tumble to the ground because they're loose, so I don't lean it forward open...

The space for the VX23D is fairly complex. I used a stack of three layers of the 57mm foam so that the entire camera would be below the top. One end of the rail plugs into that round hole; the weight of the camera is shared by the rail hole and the tripod clamp, which rests on a layer of foam at the bottom. I left room for my compendium shade at the bottom of the space that holds the VX23D. Currently there's no solid bottom on the foam unit, something I'm going to remedy by gluing a layer of corrugated plastic to give the compendium a bit more protection.

Building this insert took a while, but mostly because I didn't want to have to re-do it so I took my time. Cutting and gluing the foam is extremely easy once you know what you want to do.

From this position, I can lift the VX23D out of the bag one-handed and have it on the tripod ready to shoot once I add a lens and the Fuji GFX 50R.

Big thanks to Mike for his pre-sales advice!

Greg Haag

Great looking setup, thanks for sharing! Did you get the foam at a hardware store or online?

Earlier in this thread, Mike (pelorus) recommended the Ortlieb Atrack backpack. I was intrigued because it seemed to have everything I was looking for (water proof, good harness, lots of room, simple, flexible). Mike had the 25L model, which I thought might be a bit small. Thanks to his enthusiasm and helpful advice, I decided to try one of these in 35L.

I wanted to update this thread not only to second Mike's enthusiasm for the Ortlieb Atrack, which is really excellent, but also to showcase a solution to my layout problem that may be relevant to other people. In a nutshell, I wanted to be able to carry an assembled Toyo VX23D digital view camera. These cameras are extremely sturdy, but they don't pack easily, and the bellows they use -- while tough and durable -- need to be protected. I didn't want to have to disassemble the Toyo every time I needed to carry it anywhere.

I looked at all kinds of inserts and decided the best way to go was to build my own. The product I used is called "Kaizen Foam". It comes in all kinds of colours (not just the rather unfortunate yellow that I chose). Kaizen Foam is normally used by people who want more organized toolboxes. You draw out the shape of your tool on the foam, cut to the required depth, and peel off as many layers as needed. I used 3 layers of the 57mm thick foam to build a protective enclosure for my Toyo VX23D and Fuji GFX50R. The layers are glued together with 3M 77 spray adhesive. Everything else I need to carry (lenses, bits and pieces) travels in the backpack in its own protective case or pouch.

Here's what it looks like loaded up. There's not a lot of extra room, but I can fit in some clothing, food and water. This is not a setup for overnight hikes.

The main piece of the foam insert holds the Toyo, while a "peninsula" of foam juts out at the top and holds my GFX 50R. The lenses are loaded in the empty space around the 50R. Both the 50R and the VX23D are locked into their compartments because of the snug fit. I can pull them out with one hand, but when they're in their compartments, they're so secure that I can lean the pack forward and they won't fall out; the lenses will of course tumble to the ground because they're loose, so I don't lean it forward open...

The space for the VX23D is fairly complex. I used a stack of three layers of the 57mm foam so that the entire camera would be below the top. One end of the rail plugs into that round hole; the weight of the camera is shared by the rail hole and the tripod clamp, which rests on a layer of foam at the bottom. I left room for my compendium shade at the bottom of the space that holds the VX23D. Currently there's no solid bottom on the foam unit, something I'm going to remedy by gluing a layer of corrugated plastic to give the compendium a bit more protection.

Building this insert took a while, but mostly because I didn't want to have to re-do it so I took my time. Cutting and gluing the foam is extremely easy once you know what you want to do.

From this position, I can lift the VX23D out of the bag one-handed and have it on the tripod ready to shoot once I add a lens and the Fuji GFX 50R.

Pelorus

Rob, I'm really glad that this works for you. It is a great looking set up. If you'd asked me whether a Toyo would go in, I would have been doubtful!! I think there are a few things that, perhaps unexpectedly, make these bags work. I think this is true also of your setup:

• They have a really generous, easy opening, due to the single full length zip
  • They are waterproof and tough
  • They are comfortable to carry and they are "small for their capacity"

We want to see pictures of your adventures with this bag!!

:thumbup:

rdeloe

Great looking setup, thanks for sharing! Did you get the foam at a hardware store or online?
Thanks Greg. In the US, the foam is sold by an outfit called Fastscap. https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam They do not ship outside of the US (too expensive). I'm in Canada, and thankfully a local outfit "Kaizen Cases and Inserts" partnered with Fastcap to sell to Canada. They also have an eBay presence, but they're cheaper in all respects directly from their webpage (ask me how I know...). https://kaizencasesandinserts.com/?...6DbGBJl_D-eNwBmqlhsjb8IdwXM3hGPRoCeicQAvD_BwE

rdeloe

Rob, I'm really glad that this works for you. It is a great looking set up. If you'd asked me whether a Toyo would go in, I would have been doubtful!! I think there are a few things that, perhaps unexpectedly, make these bags work. I think this is true also of your setup:

• They have a really generous, easy opening, due to the single full length zip
  • They are waterproof and tough
  • They are comfortable to carry and they are "small for their capacity"

We want to see pictures of your adventures with this bag!!

:thumbup:
I think you nailed the best features Mike. I bought mine from an outfit in Finland that had the best price by far. They shipped it in a tiny paper sack so I was dubious. But when I opened it and shook it out, my first thought was "this thing is cavernous!". There's absolutely no give in the material so you have to plan accordingly if you're using hard shapes.

It's winter in Canada now, and we've had some wild weather: deep freezes, unusually large volumes of rain, and loads of snow. I'm close to an amazing forest so it's easy to sneak away for a shoot. This bag will make that a lot easier!

We've even had a flood in January, which is quite unusual. The forest flooded, and then froze.

rdeloe

It's been a couple months now since I posted about the Ortlieb Atrack 35L pack. I've carried my gear (easily 20 lbs) for long stretches, working in wet and mucky conditions. It's been superb: highly recommended.

MartinN

I bought mine from an outfit in Finland that had the best price by far. They shipped it in a tiny paper sack so I was dubious.

Interested which was the store ? I live in Finland and usually the pricing here is not nice and 24% VAT. I surf the internet but usually buy locally now.