The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Save $

jlm

Workshop Member
one thing that occurred to me is that both AS and Clam could be sourcing the stacked goniometer sections (these are the trickiest parts to make) from the same supplier (like Spectra Physics/Newport for example) and adding their own forward tilt and pan stages and knobs

Dale Allyn

one thing that occurred to me is that both AS and Clam could be sourcing the stacked goniometer sections (these are the trickiest parts to make) from the same supplier (like Spectra Physics/Newport for example) and adding their own forward tilt and pan stages and knobs
I wondered about this too, especially with regard to A-S. I wasn't sure if Clam would do so, as in other parts of Asia it is quite common to machine something locally. But this is also where I would expect to see any differences in precision, if present, as is often the case with machined parts in Asia if they don't have very good shop management. With good management though, very precise machining can be arranged. It all boils down to meticulous direction.

Anders_HK

Anders has an interesting point here - the new Ebony 6x17 model sells for 7175 pounds at Robert White. The corresponding Shen Hao sells at the same dealer for 1350 pounds. Though I really appreciate the build quality of my Ebony cameras, this price difference is too large to ignore. It's easy to dismiss the Shen Hao by assuming that the price difference is related to quality - Anders' statement about Shen Hao tells otherwise.
Lars,

Let me clarify;

I have seen an Ebony 23S in a used shop in Shanghai. Its rails were misaligned. Yup the surface treatment of the wood was better than Shen-Hao, as in fine veneer ebony furniture like. When using a camera for actual photography, does that matter? To me, not. I do not know if some of detailed work or control mechanisms on an Ebony can be better. Lets face it, the cameras are for photography (well some buy for display also...). The Shen-Hao camera looks more beautiful to me because of the color of the wood. The Ebony looks dark and murky. After all a large format camera is a simple device. If mine breaks on travels I might simply replace it with a new one for fraction of the probable price that sending an Ebony to Japan and back for repair and their repair cost could be. Replacing is also simpler, but I also travel many times to Shanghai each year. Mine is the Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB non folding 4x5, a competitor to Ebony SW45. If you feel a yearn to visit China, perhaps buy a 617 in their shop in Shanghai? They have a 617 adapter also. I have it but will soon sell it because too much gear. I am working on a custom made digital adapter instead.

South Korea? I lived and worked there over three years until early last year. I was supervising a major engineering construction project. Koreans are in general good to quality up to a certain point. Some companies are capable of exceptional quality. Markins is one such. I would not trade my Markins for anything, and I have been through a number of ballheads last six years. When writing emails they can sound like young people, but it is in a friendly way :).

Willem,

Good luck on your cube! It indeed looks very good on the photos. Do check so there is not play at different adjustment positions or have them rectify. Should work fine hopefully. After all gear is just tools. A/S cube is 2400 USD on B&H??? Yikes... why? Transport is cheap these days, must be labor etc.

Regards
Anders

Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

I'm really glad that you received a great product after all of the commotion that occurred!

My only question is:

Are the bubble levels and rotating platform accurate out of the box? :D

Lars

Very cool looking images, I've never seen one - Cube or otherwise - close up before. I'm impressed. :) Seeing the photos, I have to admit I want one. :D

I've stayed away from geared heads in the past becasue they are too slow to operate. It does make sense to use a geared head on 8x10, but I have my doubts if it could really hold my Toyo - once you add rails, lens, film holder, shade it weighs in at 12-15 kgs distributed at both ends of an up to 1000 mm long rail. Those little brass or bronze gears might be fine for an SLR but with an 8x10 monorail the center of mass is 25 cm up from the mount. It would just break from the load if not properly balanced. And the camera itself is all geared once you level it, so there is no need for precision head movements, just a strong lockdown. As a contrast, my Burzynski ballhead has only five parts (plus four huge bolts) and they are all huge - it's virtually indestructible, handles field conditions like sand and mud with a stride.

For smaller formats like 4x5 a cube is too heavy at 900 grams - a good small ballhead at 450 grams is sufficient for a wood 4x5 unless you have really bad technique. And for an SLR a ballhead makes much more sense - for me - unless I would do specialized work like macro and product shots.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have my doubts if it could really hold my Toyo - once you add rails, lens, film holder, shade it weighs in at 12-15 kgs distributed at both ends of an up to 1000 mm long rail.
It will hold it, but not very well -- nowhere near as well as your Burzynski or an Arca B2.

For smaller formats like 4x5 a cube is too heavy at 900 grams - a good small ballhead at 450 grams is sufficient for a wood 4x5 unless you have really bad technique. And for an SLR a ballhead makes much more sense - for me - unless I would do specialized work like macro and product shots.
The advantage of the Cube is the speed and accuracy with which you can zero -- no fuddling around trying to align all axes at once -- combined with relatively light weight for its rigidity, which is more than adequate for 4x5 or MF systems with big glass attached...

Cheers,

Lars

...and there was Jack's (expected) reply. :) Like I said I have never used a Cube, your experience is of course more valid than my mere speculation.

Rethmeier

Levels are perfect as well.
I'm so impressed I also ordered the PC-54NS ballhead.
I sold my RRS BH-55 in the meanwhile.
Best,
Willem.

johneaton

Just to corroborate Willem's first use of the cube, I just got mine from Korea (USD $985 shipped to CA, with leather pouch :)) and did a quick test this last weekend -- it's rock-solid, gearing is smooth, levels accurate -- I'm happy! :D

John.

Rethmeier

Their ball heads are also excellent!
I prefer the Photo Clam PC-54NS to the RRS BH-55.
And it's half the price!
Best,
Willem.

georgl

vs.

Who now pays for the development of the Rm3d? Or will you just take the superior Rm3d from Photoclam which arrives next year? And you wondering about the economy (ok, just ONE important aspect)?

I seriously hope you as photographers will never run into someone who operates like this with your work.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One question on the photoclam ballhead -- On the A/S B1, the ball is actually egg-shaped to prevent a total flop-over when the friction is released, so as the camera moves off Top-Dead-Center on the B1, the amount of friction automatically increases. Is the PhotoClam the same?

Rethmeier

georgl,
if you have been in photography as long as I have,I know that "styles" are borrowed
from other photographers all the time.
Nobody is original,maybe you?