The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with arithmetic!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm trying to figure out what the effective focal length is if I crop an IQ4-150 frame to 1/4th of its size.

The frame is 14,204 px by 10,652 px. Assuming I'm using a 240 mm lens, how much do I have to crop to get the equivalents of a 480 mm and 960 mm lenses?

My logic is that I'd get 480 mm equivalent by cropping to 50% laterally and 50% height. That is, 7,102 px by 5,326, or a 37.8 px image.

A 960 mm equivalent would require cropping by 25% each way, giving a 3,551 by 2,663 or a 9.5 mpx image.
Is my logic correct?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It might help you to think about the effective size of the sensor when cropped to a given percentage of the original.

For example if you crop down to a 36x24mm worth of the 645 sensor then the lens can be considered in full-frame-35mm terms.

tsjanik

I'm trying to figure out what the effective focal length is if I crop an IQ4-150 frame to 1/4th of its size.

The frame is 14,204 px by 10,652 px. Assuming I'm using a 240 mm lens, how much do I have to crop to get the equivalents of a 480 mm and 960 mm lenses?

My logic is that I'd get 480 mm equivalent by cropping to 50% laterally and 50% height. That is, 7,102 px by 5,326, or a 37.8 px image.

A 960 mm equivalent would require cropping by 25% each way, giving a 3,551 by 2,663 or a 9.5 mpx image.
Is my logic correct?
Bill, I believe you are correct. You can calculate the diagonals of each crop to verify, but it is perhaps easier to confirm your results using the known properties of existing systems: micro 4/3 has a 2x focal length factor and has a sensor area roughly 1/4 that of full frame, consistent with your results.

Tom

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bill,

You are correct. Of course, those focal length "equivalents" are with respect to a full size IQ4150 sensor, that is, the FoV of a 960mm lens on the full sensor is the same as the FoV of the 240mm on 1/16 of the sensor (1/4 in each linear dimension).

It's only confusing if you think about it :grin:

Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Format diagonal = "normal" focal length. While this is true for any aspect ratio, tradition uses a crop of 2:3 or 3:4 or 4:5...

Soooooo... Simply stated, if you cut your diagonal in half by cutting each side by 2 and now using only ¼ of your sensor, you effectively double all of your focal lengths; cut each side by 3 for 1/9th your sensor, and you triple your focal lengths.

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thank you all for your responses - it's nice to know age has not totally diminished my reasoning power.....
And yes Matt, it IS confusing if you think about it!

Bill