The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube Issues

lamoreauxphoto

Does anyone with the classic Arca Swiss ever unscrewed the knob that tightens to the plate to where it popped off exposing 2 springs and the threaded screw? I put it back on however the knob seems to wobble quite a bite when not tightened down. Doesnt seem right. Going to send it to Rod however before I'm without it for a few days curious if anyone had this issue and knows how to fix it?

lamoreauxphoto

The "exploding" AS top clamp?

Yes---that can be upsetting, but it's really not difficult to fix on your own---as long as you recovered all the bits and pieces that may have scattered across the floor :bugeyes:

Rod has a nice instruction sheet/pdf on adjusting the AS Cube top clamp.

You can download them from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx1n1e3sbyir1h2/AABINwejQFEZlctKm_kRDYL5a?dl=0

ken
Thanks Ken,

I dont have the flip lock type though I have the screw thumb screw type (classic) -- I re-installed it but it seems there is a little brass color sleve that covers the threads on the screw that prevents the threads from screwing more into the base of the clamp and causes the wobbling I gather. hard to explain but it doesnt seem right.

jng

When I first received my Cube the screw clamp was binding up a bit and making some noises. I got in contact with Rod who warned me that the clamp might be defective and there was a possibility that it could "explode" without warning, which obviously would be a disaster if there were a camera in the clamp. He directed me to Bob Watkins at Precision Camera who fixed it under warranty. Even better, I took the opportunity to have him swap out the A/S clamp for a Really Right Stuff lever clamp and was only charged for the cost of the clamp. Turn-around was quick so all things considered it was pretty painless.

Good luck!

John

JoelM

A "trick" I employ when working on things with springs, or any situation where there is stored potential energy, is to work inside a large ziplock bag. If needed, you can work inside a trash bin bag as well if more room is needed. I've saved a lot of cuss words from their usage over the years this way. After waiting 2 months for a lost spring from a Swiss target pistol has taught me this life lesson.

:ROTFL:

Joel

Mexecutioner

A "trick" I employ when working on things with springs, or any situation where there is stored potential energy, is to work inside a large ziplock bag. If needed, you can work inside a trash bin bag as well if more room is needed. I've saved a lot of cuss words from their usage over the years this way. After waiting 2 months for a lost spring from a Swiss target pistol has taught me this life lesson.

:ROTFL:

Joel
That's not a bad idea and a funny story, reminds me of a deep mark in my dining room ceiling from a barrel bushing propelled by a recoil spring from a careless routine 1911 cleanup.

AlexB

Not sure if you did this, but you need to remove the small plastic cover inside the screw knob and use a hex key to tigthen the bolt: You can remove the plastic cover by first tigthening the screw knob all the way in, and then gently pry it out using a small flat screwdriver or similar (that's how I did mine, note that it might leave a small mark in the plastic cover), It should pop out fairly easily. Once you have done this, loosen the screw knob back all the way out, and use the appropriate hex key to tighten the bolt to the clamp. If it came loose on its own it would probably be a good idea to add some loctite on the short end that screws into the clamp body so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited: