Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: X1D with HC Lenses

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    X1D with HC Lenses

    Hi all,

    Iím considering moving from my H system over to an X1D. I primarily shoot headshots and portraits and am hoping to be able to use my 100 f/2.2 H lenses on the X1D. Would love to hear if anyone is doing this and how it is in comparison to shooting on an H. I shoot tethered to a MBP and am tripod mounted 95% of the time.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by jmosier01 View Post
    Hi all,

    Iím considering moving from my H system over to an X1D. I primarily shoot headshots and portraits and am hoping to be able to use my 100 f/2.2 H lenses on the X1D. Would love to hear if anyone is doing this and how it is in comparison to shooting on an H. I shoot tethered to a MBP and am tripod mounted 95% of the time.

    Thanks!
    Manual Focus will be fine. Autofocus is not as great compared to an H6 body. Also you need a orange dot lens to AF on a X1d make sure the firware version can be updated.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Boinger View Post
    Manual Focus will be fine. Autofocus is not as great compared to an H6 body. Also you need a orange dot lens to AF on a X1d make sure the firware version can be updated.
    Thanks! I only manually focus with my H3D bodies and one of my 2 100hc lenses has a dead at motor.

    Iím just getting to the point where Iím tired of having to buy more and more hold h bodies. Getting an X1d at least eliminates the aux shutter part of the equation.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    I went from an H4D-60 with 100/2.2 to an X1D II with 80/1.9. As much as I loved the 100/2.2, the 80/1.9 puts it to shame in every objective category, and I donít miss the older lens (the CCD colors on the H4D, I will admit to occasionally missing). If thatís not in the budget, the Fuji 110/2 on a a GFX is also an incredible, modern setup. And if you donít need a super-shallow DOF, Iíve been more than impressed with the XCD 90/3.2 on my X1D II.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    We use an H5D and GFX, the latter with HC/D lenses on many occasions. It's utterly painless, so doing so on a X1D will be as easy or better. Imagine manual focus on your H3D but with focus peaking, etc.

    The only 'drawback' is that with an adapter the longer HC lenses can feel unbalanced on smaller mirrorless bodies. That said, if you shoot on tripod most of the time, it will be somewhat irrelevant.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    How is the shutter lag using HC lenses on the GFX?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    Very interesting. The 100 is my second favorite lens behind the 50 lux asph. Would you happen to have any portraits you could post with the 80? Very curious now!

    Quote Originally Posted by clonardo View Post
    I went from an H4D-60 with 100/2.2 to an X1D II with 80/1.9. As much as I loved the 100/2.2, the 80/1.9 puts it to shame in every objective category, and I donít miss the older lens (the CCD colors on the H4D, I will admit to occasionally missing). If thatís not in the budget, the Fuji 110/2 on a a GFX is also an incredible, modern setup. And if you donít need a super-shallow DOF, Iíve been more than impressed with the XCD 90/3.2 on my X1D II.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    Fine - and I imagine no worse than the X1D or any mirrorless.

    One nice thing is you can press one button and flip between the lens shutter (with 1/800 sync) or the body shutter (1/4000 max and 1/125 sync) when using an HC/D lens. The adapter is well made, nice and sturdy.



    Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
    How is the shutter lag using HC lenses on the GFX?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by jmosier01 View Post
    Very interesting. The 100 is my second favorite lens behind the 50 lux asph. Would you happen to have any portraits you could post with the 80? Very curious now!
    Sure, I've uploaded some JPEGs here- https://adobe.ly/2FZu8Hj

    As for the 50 Lux, I loved mine too- and then I got a 50/2 APO. Progress inevitably marches on

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clonardo View Post
    Sure, I've uploaded some JPEGs here- https://adobe.ly/2FZu8Hj

    As for the 50 Lux, I loved mine too- and then I got a 50/2 APO. Progress inevitably marches on
    Nice shots Chris!

    I didn't feel that way about the APO. In fact I greatly prefer the summilux. Best all around 50 I've ever used.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X1D with HC Lenses

    I love my H 100 2.2 on the X1D. The AF works well, I havenít had any issues. I havenít tried the xcd 80, so canít compare woth that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •