Site Sponsors

Thread: X1D with HC Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

X1D with HC Lenses

Hi all,

Iím considering moving from my H system over to an X1D. I primarily shoot headshots and portraits and am hoping to be able to use my 100 f/2.2 H lenses on the X1D. Would love to hear if anyone is doing this and how it is in comparison to shooting on an H. I shoot tethered to a MBP and am tripod mounted 95% of the time.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: X1D with HC Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by jmosier01 View Post
    Hi all,

Iím considering moving from my H system over to an X1D. I primarily shoot headshots and portraits and am hoping to be able to use my 100 f/2.2 H lenses on the X1D. Would love to hear if anyone is doing this and how it is in comparison to shooting on an H. I shoot tethered to a MBP and am tripod mounted 95% of the time.

Thanks!
    Manual Focus will be fine. Autofocus is not as great compared to an H6 body. Also you need a orange dot lens to AF on a X1d make sure the firware version can be updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boinger View Post
    Manual Focus will be fine. Autofocus is not as great compared to an H6 body. Also you need a orange dot lens to AF on a X1d make sure the firware version can be updated.
    Thanks! I only manually focus with my H3D bodies and one of my 2 100hc lenses has a dead at motor.

Iím just getting to the point where Iím tired of having to buy more and more hold h bodies. Getting an X1d at least eliminates the aux shutter part of the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

I went from an H4D-60 with 100/2.2 to an X1D II with 80/1.9. As much as I loved the 100/2.2, the 80/1.9 puts it to shame in every objective category, and I donít miss the older lens (the CCD colors on the H4D, I will admit to occasionally missing). If thatís not in the budget, the Fuji 110/2 on a a GFX is also an incredible, modern setup. And if you donít need a super-shallow DOF, Iíve been more than impressed with the XCD 90/3.2 on my X1D II.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We use an H5D and GFX, the latter with HC/D lenses on many occasions. It's utterly painless, so doing so on a X1D will be as easy or better. Imagine manual focus on your H3D but with focus peaking, etc.

The only 'drawback' is that with an adapter the longer HC lenses can feel unbalanced on smaller mirrorless bodies. That said, if you shoot on tripod most of the time, it will be somewhat irrelevant.

Post Thanks / Like

How is the shutter lag using HC lenses on the GFX?

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. The 100 is my second favorite lens behind the 50 lux asph. Would you happen to have any portraits you could post with the 80? Very curious now!

Quote Originally Posted by clonardo View Post
    I went from an H4D-60 with 100/2.2 to an X1D II with 80/1.9. As much as I loved the 100/2.2, the 80/1.9 puts it to shame in every objective category, and I donít miss the older lens (the CCD colors on the H4D, I will admit to occasionally missing). If thatís not in the budget, the Fuji 110/2 on a a GFX is also an incredible, modern setup. And if you donít need a super-shallow DOF, Iíve been more than impressed with the XCD 90/3.2 on my X1D II.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine - and I imagine no worse than the X1D or any mirrorless.

One nice thing is you can press one button and flip between the lens shutter (with 1/800 sync) or the body shutter (1/4000 max and 1/125 sync) when using an HC/D lens. The adapter is well made, nice and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
    How is the shutter lag using HC lenses on the GFX?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmosier01 View Post
    Very interesting. The 100 is my second favorite lens behind the 50 lux asph. Would you happen to have any portraits you could post with the 80? Very curious now!
    Sure, I've uploaded some JPEGs here- https://adobe.ly/2FZu8Hj

As for the 50 Lux, I loved mine too- and then I got a 50/2 APO. Progress inevitably marches on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clonardo View Post
    Sure, I've uploaded some JPEGs here- https://adobe.ly/2FZu8Hj

As for the 50 Lux, I loved mine too- and then I got a 50/2 APO. Progress inevitably marches on
    Nice shots Chris!

I didn't feel that way about the APO. In fact I greatly prefer the summilux. Best all around 50 I've ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my H 100 2.2 on the X1D. The AF works well, I havenít had any issues. I havenít tried the xcd 80, so canít compare woth that.