The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

UV filter for 32mm and 23mm Rodentock

Dadbod

Does anyone use UV filters for these lenses? I want to use them in the rain/fog/wet etc. and hesitate because I don't want to get water droplets on them.

I have the center filter for the 23 but it's no longer relevant with the 150.

Thank you for any input.

Does anyone use UV filters for these lenses? I want to use them in the rain/fog/wet etc. and hesitate because I don't want to get water droplets on them.

I have the center filter for the 23 but it's no longer relevant with the 150.

Thank you for any input.
I use the B+W UV/IR cut filter (filter 486) on my 32. I leave it on all the time unless I remember to take it off when using the center filter (I haven't noticed any degradation in quality when I've left it on).

Jacob

Greg Haag

I do not use a UV on my 32mm. I have a circular polarizing filter, that I leave on for protection and then take off when its not needed.

Just curious- does this filter add any sharpness, or is it just for protection only?
I have often wondered if IR/UV cause any subtle image degradation.
According to Brad Kaye at CI, the filter helps with image sharpness when using PhaseOne Achromatic cameras (which I use a lot the time). I have not seen any image degradation with non-Achromatic digital backs, which is why I keep the filters on my lenses full time regardless of what digital back I'm using.

Here's a link to a loosely related article on the CI website which briefly discusses the need for the 486 filter when using the achromatic digital back (which I understand is different than what would be seen with a non-achromatic digital back):

https://captureintegration.com/achromatic-focus-precision-on-alpa-technical-cameras/

Hope this helps,
Jacob

Dadbod

According to Brad Kaye at CI, the filter helps with image sharpness when using PhaseOne Achromatic cameras (which I use a lot the time). I have not seen any image degradation with non-Achromatic digital backs, which is why I keep the filters on my lenses full time regardless of what digital back I'm using.

Here's a link to a loosely related article on the CI website which briefly discusses the need for the 486 filter when using the achromatic digital back (which I understand is different than what would be seen with a non-achromatic digital back):

https://captureintegration.com/achromatic-focus-precision-on-alpa-technical-cameras/

Hope this helps,
Jacob
Thank you so much. This is very helpful, I truly appreciate the time.