The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad claims its new XCD 45mm is world’s smallest and lightest AF medium format

Paul2660

It would be very close if not equal to the GFX50r and GF50mm

Must be like .05 lighter than the Fuji.

6.7K for Hasselblad
5.5K for Fuji.

Both look nice.

Paul C

jduncan

It has mechanical manual focusing, not focus by wire.
Hi,

This is an interesting change. Clearly in AF mode is still focus by wire, but in manual focus is not.
The lenses are going well, but they need to release a new body with the 100mp sensor, not because of the 100mp but for all the rest.
Also to show that there still momentum.

I wonder if this lower price will atract new constumers.

Best regards,

SrMphoto

Hi,

This is an interesting change. Clearly in AF mode is still focus by wire, but in manual focus is not.
The lenses are going well, but they need to release a new body with the 100mp sensor, not because of the 100mp but for all the rest.

Best regards,
Why is 100Mp required? Fuji is selling its GFX50 cameras well. If 50Mp works for Fuji, it should be fine for Hasselblad, I guess. Do you feel constrained with 50Mp on your X1D camera?

hcubell

Hi,

Best regards,
My sense is that this is about the price point more than the weight. The existing 45mm XCD lens is not materially heavier. However, it is much more expensive. Hasselblad can package this lens with an X1D II body for $6k and come within spitting distance of a GFX 50R with the GFX 50mm pancake. (On this forum, $1k is spitting distance, right?)

DougDolde

My sense is that this is about the price point more than the weight. The existing 45mm XCD lens is not materially heavier. However, it is much more expensive. Hasselblad can package this lens with an X1D II body for $6k and come within spitting distance of a GFX 50R with the GFX 50mm pancake. (On this forum, $1k is spitting distance, right?)
Good point I was thinking the same thing.$1099 vs $2695 per B&H website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrHA0ACj_Qc

Last edited:

sog1927

I seem to recall that Ming Thein has said that he pushed for two things during his stint as Hasselblad:

1) A lightweight, "pancake" lens to maximally exploit the thin, lightweight X body
2) A modular camera to bridge the existing (and past) product lines

With this lens and the 907/CFV, it certainly looks like that has come to pass. I'm glad Hasselblad followed through with this.

I prefer the idea of mechanical manual focus, so I really like this lens. The 1/2 stop doesn't really matter to me.

Well done!

Mexecutioner

A drop in the bucket, actually...

sog1927

I think the camera + 45mm P will probably fit in a jacket pocket, which just amazes me as someone who toted around a 503CW+PME-5 prism+winder for years.

Charles2

...I wonder if this lower price will attract new customers.
The body and the lens might do that -- for those who think they can live with one lens and those who do not check their budget against the prices (and size) of the other lenses.

Godfrey

I'd like to see a detailed comparison review of the two XCD 45mm lenses' performance. The mechanical manual focus is an interesting technical point, but I don't know how much or how little it adds to the actual usability. Supposedly the new lens has a much quieter shutter: that's interesting for sure.

Buying a new 45P vs a top condition used 45 at a couple hundred more ... hmm. Spitting distance? I dunno if I can spit over a few hundred dollars let alone $1000, but I have no interest in the Fuji cameras anyway. (That said, I've already committed to the latter deal for a 45mm, and I'm not reneging on the deal. :))

G

danlindberg

I like every aspect of the new 45P. But, I have the original 45 which is not large or heavy by any means and a great performer, so I am in no hurry to replace. But I can definitely see myself using the 45P down the line. I paid full price only 9 months ago for mine and that is also a factor for me.

kdphotography

I really like the compact form factor of this camera and lens combination. I wish Phase One had something similar to complement its large, albeit stalwart, XF. ----and not the XT

ken

tsjanik

From Hasselblad "Weighing only 320g (0.7 lbs) and measuring 47mm (1.85 in) in depth, the XCD 45P is the world’s lightest digital medium format autofocus lens on the market today."

Perhaps it's the lightest leaf shutter MF lens, but that should be included in the claim, e.g., the Pentax 75mm f2.8 FA is 215g and 37.5mm in depth. It's also a very good lens.

Tom

Shashin

From Hasselblad "Weighing only 320g (0.7 lbs) and measuring 47mm (1.85 in) in depth, the XCD 45P is the world’s lightest digital medium format autofocus lens on the market today."

Perhaps it's the lightest leaf shutter MF lens, but that should be included in the claim, e.g., the Pentax 75mm f2.8 FA is 215g and 37.5mm in depth. It's also a very good lens.

Tom
Sure, cloud the issue with facts...

Pelorus

I find the approach from Hasselblad interesting. They are headlining their homepage with this and the focus is on weight. Yet the reality is that all of that effort is about 24g...a weight that's neither here nor there. The relevant comparison is (with batteries included):

GFX50R = 775g
GF50/3.5 = 335g
Total = 1,110g

X1D II = 766g
XCD 45P = 320g
Total = 1,086g

Difference 24g

So instead of bragging about 24g why don't we have a useful conversation about usability and image quality and durability, is it weather sealed...the kind of things that matter.

It seems like a weird marketing strategy. Has anyone tried the lens? Is it good?

My $0.02

Shashin

It seems like a weird marketing strategy.
As a former member of a camera company, the strategy is quite common. If you can put a superlative in your marketing material, even if highly qualified (the lightest camera in the world that has AF, a 35mm sensor, four buttons, and a partridge in a pear tree), is helps to sell. A believe it or not, people will argue over that 24g if it makes them feel better about their camera--the argument just changes based on which side you are on.

Pelorus

Thanks Will, shows you what I know, and what I don't care about :p

As a former member of a camera company, the strategy is quite common. If you can put a superlative in your marketing material, even if highly qualified (the lightest camera in the world that has AF, a 35mm sensor, four buttons, and a partridge in a pear tree), is helps to sell. A believe it or not, people will argue over that 24g if it makes them feel better about their camera--the argument just changes based on which side you are on.