The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tethering hasselblad

Stan Lawrence

I have a Hasselblad H4D-40, I’d like to tether the camera to my macbook pro...the idea is to have the laptop (with an external monitor) show the images as I take them when I teach....possible? If so, what do I need? thanks...

Qamaro

I have a Hasselblad H4D-40, I’d like to tether the camera to my macbook pro...the idea is to have the laptop (with an external monitor) show the images as I take them when I teach....possible? If so, what do I need? thanks...
Hi Stan,

You just need the following:

1) connect the external monitor and make sure it set as a second monitor in System Preferences - Display -> Arrangement -> Check the box for Mirror Display (if you want Phocus on both screens), uncheck Mirror Display and select within Phocus (Viewer in separate window) which I think will let you have an application view and a shot to shot view (i.e. 2 window view)

2) download the desktop version of Phocus for your MacBook

3) connect the back to the MacBook by Firewire (I think this model of back used Firewire) so, if you have a newer mac you will need some type of converter - USB-C to Firewire + the Firewire 800 cable

I think that should do it. Hope that helps.

Please note the only Hassey I have is an X1D but it similar to any other tethering out there. You just need to find the correct software + cabling to get things to work. Other folks with an H4D can chime in but, I think that gets you to where you need to be.