The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK to ask for pricing/value advice here? Hasselblad 503CW+CFV16

jaredd

Hi guys,

I hope this is ok, if not please let me know so I can remove it, and point me in the right direction if there is an appropriate place. I originally posted this over at FredMiranda, but a few guys recommended I stop over here to find more information.

I have had this camera sitting around for the past handful of years acting as a nice art decoration on a shelf in my studio, and well, some redecorating is occurring that means i'll no longer have a shelf for it. Rather than toss it back into a box for who knows how many years, i'm considering selling. Problem is, I have no idea what the value is. I've been out of the market so long, and things have changed so dramatically in the photo world that I don't know how to price everything. Below is a list, please feel free to ask questions or give advice. I'm trying to include a link to a photo gallery as well.

- 503CW body
- PM45 viewfinder
- CVF-16 digital back
- 80mm f2.8 CFi lens
- 40mm f4 CFe lens (teeny tiny scratch/chip on the front exterior element from a packing mistake)
- All wrapped up in a Pelican 1510 case, with a 15ft firewire cable, a short flash cable for wireless remotes, 4 batteries, 2 chargers and some CF cards.

pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/cIopcWQ

I have tested everything, and it all works really well. Both lenses are fantastic, and to be honest, the back renders images way better than I remember. I haven't had much time, but the quick photos I have taken have reminded me why I loved this setup back when I did have the free time to use it.

thanks in advance!

B L

I think you can average it out by studying pro dealers selling prices as well as classified ads here and at FM. Also look at auction sites for an idea.
Good luck.

jaredd

I think you can average it out by studying pro dealers selling prices as well as classified ads here and at FM. Also look at auction sites for an idea.
Good luck.
Thanks B L,

One of the problem's i'm having with that is finding the CFV-16. I can't find anyone selling it, or any recent auctions or pricing. I've checked ebay and a bunch of the popular camera auction/used sites and haven't managed to find a single one. Not really sure what that means.

But you're right, the rest of the stuff isn't hard to find, although I have to say that there's a much larger variance in prices than I guess I would have expected.

B L

Thanks B L,

One of the problem's i'm having with that is finding the CFV-16. I can't find anyone selling it, or any recent auctions or pricing. I've checked ebay and a bunch of the popular camera auction/used sites and haven't managed to find a single one. Not really sure what that means.

But you're right, the rest of the stuff isn't hard to find, although I have to say that there's a much larger variance in prices than I guess I would have expected.
A London dealer Richard Caplan is offering CF16 for £2250. Very reputable shop.

I have seen posts by members here wishing to buy one of those, but those wishes change every minute!
I think you should just keep it and enjoy it now and then. You can post your photos in Fat Pixel....... thread here for us.

jng

Welcome to getDPI! That's a nice kit you have. You might check a used seller like KEH to get a feel for current prices. On the KEH website you can get an estimate for what they'd purchase the item for in consideration of condition and accessories like cases, lens caps etc. You can then see whether they have any of that item for sale and compare prices. Typically the buy/sell ratio is at least 2:1 if not 3:1 :mad:. But factoring in the premium they command for sourcing, checking and warranting the equipment, keeping the lights on etc., perhaps this isn't entirely unreasonable (I've made many a happy purchase from them). In any case, you can figure on splitting the difference between the buy and sell price to come up with a number you might use if you decide to offer the equipment for sale yourself. People interested in these old Hasselblads these days can be a quirky lot (full disclosure: it takes one to know one) so it's anyone's guess how easy it would be to sell your kit yourself. And as mentioned by others here, there may be any number of getDPI members who would pounce on the fat pixel CFV16. Hmmmm....

Also note that from the pictures you posted the 40mm you have is not the CFE but rather the internal focusing or IF CFE - a fantastic optic that commands a much higher price and is harder to come by than the older CF or CFE versions.

Hope this helps.

John

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I sold my CFV16 back in 2018 locally for $2k. The 503CW / lenses / prism should be easy to price as these are pretty common items. However, I suspect that as John mentioned, that 40 CFE IF is probably worth more than the back and body / prism combined.

Ben730

I sold my CFV16 back in 2018 locally for $2k. The 503CW / lenses / prism should be easy to price as these are pretty common items. However, I suspect that as John mentioned, that 40 CFE IF is probably worth more than the back and body / prism combined.
Yes the CFE IF is worth more. This lens is a "Medium Format Otus".

richardman

There's a CFE and there's a CFE IF. Last I checked, plain CFE is about $2300-$2700, and the IF version is $3500-$4000+