The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Netbook Preview System

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey Guys,

I've had my eye on this for a while and really wanted to do proper testing. But the office is going to be pretty busy later this month so it looks like I won't have a chance.

So instead I thought I might pass on what I know and see if anyone wants to give it a go.

The question at hand is how practical is a mini-netbook for shooting semi-tethered out in the field. By semi-tethered I mean being able to check focus and other basic functions so you know you got the shot on particularly challenging or important shots.

The solution could be a netbook with Capture One, a firewire card for the expansion slot (obviously you have to buy a netbook with a expansion slot) and a firewire cable. What I'm imagining is even soldering a clamp to the side of the netbook so it could attach to the tripod leg.

Cheap Windows Laptop
Capture One Running in Digital Back Only mode (free)
Support Document for Which Firewire Cards have been tested
Adding more ram Instructions.
Adding More Ram Purchase Link

Anyway... it's an incomplete project, but thought it might be interesting to post anyway.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No real hard drive to speak of Doug. My wife has a little Dell netbook with 16gb hard drive. Lets see that is maybe 10 files. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Alternatively a GPL version of Phase firmware so we could hack live view on the back?
No clamps required...
-bob