The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replace IR Cut Glass in Leaf Aptus-II

stevenenglund

Like a rich, stupid person with a lot of free time (I'm none of the above actually)... I purchased an "as is" Leaf Aptus-II 12 (DM 80) from eBay. I can tell from the pictures that it is missing the IR glass. I know that I need 650nm cutoff, and can buy a custom cut piece online that is close to size, but does anyone know the thickness? I have two apparent options: 1mm or 1.3mm. I have a Valeo 22wi at home that I can measure later, but I wanted to see if anyone has a DM80 and/or experience in this field.

I will likely buy a 70x70mm or 80x80mm piece, then cut it down to fit on the DB, then make my own frame to screw it/hold it in place.

Will the variation in 0.3mm be enough to throw off the focal plane distance?

BTW, the DM80 won't arrive in the mail until mid-February or early-March. But I'd like to have what I need to test it upon arrival.

Here's a picture of my unit (top) along with a working unit (bottom).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jHOfDHLvWMN9hopnSvy7vqK3OvYpcp75/view?usp=sharing

stevenenglund

sounds like a bad idea to me. can't you get it serviced by someone?
It's likely not that easy; they did an "End of Life Announcement" for these starting May 2019.

I did however receive confirmation that they use 1mm thick 650nm IR cut glass, so that is what I have ordered. Of course, this is hinged on the fact that an "as is" item arrives and just happens to work. I'll try to post updates here.

Dim7819

It is nice to see another person, that have bought the item from the seller "jbmpsales". if that is right. then be aware of a few things - your digital back could not have some parts inside - some internal pcb boards or IR cut filter. I personally have Leaf Aptus II 10 and have bought such item as a donor - mine does not have FireWire and card reader board and has traces of repair, so may be we could help each other if there would be some needed parts.

In case if you would need only IR cut filter try this option
ebay item 192073364510

but IR cut wave is more then 650nm, so you would be able to catch IR images with IR 720 filter

and you would need a frame as well

Last edited:

stevenenglund

It is nice to see another person, that have bought the item from the seller "jbmpsales". if that is right. then be aware of a few things - your digital back could not have some parts inside - some internal pcb boards or IR cut filter. I personally have Leaf Aptus II 10 and have bought such item as a donor - mine does not have FireWire and card reader board and has traces of repair, so may be we could help each other if there would be some needed parts.

In case if you would need only IR cut filter try this option
ebay item 192073364510

but IR cut wave is more then 650nm, so you would be able to catch IR images with IR 720 filter

and you would need a frame as well
Hi Dim, nice to meet you! Sounds like we'll be a very helpful resource for each other. My digital back should arrive by early March. "jbmpsales" is located in Kiryat Motzkin, Isreal, which is about an hour north of Kfar Saba, the Leaf Headquarters. It's possible that this seller purchased a lot directly from them, for resale. If that's the case, I think it's likely all of his digital backs are in non-working condition.

Thanks for the glass item number suggestion. I actually considered that very item! But then I went with a chinese seller for three reasons: 1) cheaper 2) I can cut it to the perfect size myself 3) the nm cut off matched the specs provided by Phase One. Here is what Phase One told me about the IR glass: "We would recommend Schott S8612 which has a cut off at 650nm just like you say. 1.0mm would be what we would use on a 80mp sensor." So we're both on the correct path there! Did you buy a frame for the glass? I will likely do a 3d print or just rig something to hold the glass in place (once I find out if the digital back works).

I tried looking at the pics of my item and sure enough, none of the doors are open... so I cannot tell what internal parts are still there.

I hope you and I can collaborate to at least come away with one working back!

stevenenglund

I had typed a long reply to this thread but it appears to have not been posted :confused::mad: Here goes again...

Hi Dim, nice to meet you!

The seller "jbmpsales" is located in a city about one hour north of Leaf's headquarters in Israel, so it's possible that this seller purchased a bundle of parts; and it's very possible that none of them work upon arrival. My digital back is definitely missing the IR glass and frame, but I can't tell if it is missing anything internal since the auction images show all of the little doors closed. Hopefully between the two of us, we can collaborate to come away with a working back! Did you buy a second glass frame? I might 3d print one or simple rig the class in there (if the digital back works that is).

Thanks for the auction number for the IR glass. I actually went with a Chinese seller for three reasons: 1) cheaper 2) I can cut the 70x70 shape to the exact shape I need 3) the "nm cutoff" matched the specs provided by Phase One. Here's what they had told me: "We would recommend Schott S8612 which has a cut off at 650nm just like you say. 1.0mm would be what we would use on a 80mp sensor."

Edited this post to add: does anyone know if the DM 80 is the same as the Aputus-II 12? The DM ISO is listed as 50-800, while the Aptus-II 12 is listed as 80-800. All other specs remain the same.

Last edited:

Pelorus

G'day Steve, this is really a question for one of the Phase dealers. Having said that, I previously owned a DM33 which was a rebadged Aptus II/7, I would expect the same would apply to this back.

[snip]
Edited this post to add: does anyone know if the DM 80 is the same as the Aputus-II 12? The DM ISO is listed as 50-800, while the Aptus-II 12 is listed as 80-800. All other specs remain the same.

stevenenglund

G'day Steve, this is really a question for one of the Phase dealers. Having said that, I previously owned a DM33 which was a rebadged Aptus II/7, I would expect the same would apply to this back.
Hi Pelorus! You're mostly correct... I heard back from Phase One and they said the DM digital backs were the ones that were *bundled* with a camera, whereas the Aptus backs were *stand alone.* They confirmed the DM 80 is the Aptus II 12.

One step closer! (towards failure :p)

citizin

I'm going to follow this closely. I have 2 backs that could use a filter refresh, I had sent one back to Hasselblad USA and they wouldn't do it. I had tried ordering other filters from ebay, and they were was off in colour.

Steve Hendrix

Biggest issue I see is that if there is no IR filter over the sensor, then that sensor is likely filthy. Yes, you can perhaps add an IR Filter, but it could be a challenge cleaning the sensor to a desired degree. Might be worth a trip to Phase One at that point. Not trying to be pessimistic, just seeing that as the chief obstacle.

Steve Hendrix/CI

stevenenglund

@Steve: That's a very valid thing to be worried about. In the pictures, the sensor looks scratch free. I've shot a lot on mirrorless, so I'm familiar with the delicate nature of cleaning a sensor- let's hope for this best on this beast!

@Citizin: I will keep you posted regarding my findings (if the back works and I'm even able to test). You are right that the colors may be way off, but am I wrong in thinking you can use the eye-dropper and color correct the raw image? I'll paste below what the two main Phase One guys had to say:

**Yair (Phase One) via email said: “your best chance of getting the colour right is to buy a Schott BG39 filter that’ll go on your lens.”
This is the type of glass found in the eBay auction that DPI user Dim suggested, earlier in this thread.

**Ulf (Phase One) via Phase One Forum said: “We would recommend Schott S8612 which has a cut off at 650nm.”
It's interesting to note that the datasheet lists this one as a “NIR Cutoff Filter.”

Now onto a new issue... after I contacted Yair at Phase One, it appears the seller "jbmpsales" removed all of his Leaf products. As of this writing, there is currently one Mamiya DM33 for sale. It would be disappointing if Phase One had anything to do with the auctions all ending early (there were at least a dozen backs, all listed "as is: for parts")... unless of course they outright bought the backs, but even then it would be sad for us "tinker-ers." I'm not trying to undermine the market, or make money. Although I can't speak for everyone. I don't mean to be a conspiracy theorist, but there's just too much co-incidence.

Regardless, my back doesn't arrive for quite some time. I've ordered the IR and a battery, and hope to test it on my AFD II when all is good and arrived.

citizin

I got in contact with the ebay seller too and am thinking on hopping on this too. I'll share what I learn too.

stevenenglund

The back arrived today via Israeli post. Sadly it's likely DOA, unless it has to be attached to a camera to turn on. I plugged in a brand new battery, but the power button didn't work. I'll test tonight on my 645 AFD II.

It looks like the internal CF card reader PC board, as well as the internal firewire PC board, are missing. The sensor looks perfect, other than the IR glass missing, and the touch screen looks perfect as well. The stylus is even still in it's place! There's not even any scratches on the body. Seems as if it was simply never finished being built!

Does anyone know if Aptus I (non-II) parts would work for this back... as in: I could find an internal FW or CF reader on a broken Aptus I?

I'm open to suggestions or ideas of what to do with this once expensive and formidable digital back.

Dim7819

The back arrived today via Israeli post. Sadly it's likely DOA, unless it has to be attached to a camera to turn on. I plugged in a brand new battery, but the power button didn't work. I'll test tonight on my 645 AFD II.

It looks like the internal CF card reader PC board, as well as the internal firewire PC board, are missing. The sensor looks perfect, other than the IR glass missing, and the touch screen looks perfect as well. The stylus is even still in it's place! There's not even any scratches on the body. Seems as if it was simply never finished being built!

Does anyone know if Aptus I (non-II) parts would work for this back... as in: I could find an internal FW or CF reader on a broken Aptus I?

I'm open to suggestions or ideas of what to do with this once expensive and formidable digital back.
Aptus I has a different fire wire port, so i assume it would not fit on Aptus II and it looks that LCD screen is connected to FireWire board. There is other thread about changing internal battery and there are some internal photos as well
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...gital-backs/52991-aptus-internal-battery.html

z5ottu

Aptus I has a different fire wire port, so i assume it would not fit on Aptus II and it looks that LCD screen is connected to FireWire board. There is other thread about changing internal battery and there are some internal photos as well
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...gital-backs/52991-aptus-internal-battery.html
I have some experience with this. I just merged my Aptus II 10 (because of missing cf board) with an Aptus 65. Overall LCD and Firewire/CF module from Aptus65. At first it seems to work. But the old interface looks at me (not the v3) I can't change camera settings and camera profiles are missing. I took some pictures with default profile (iso80 etc.) Firmware update not enabled. In firewire tethered mode all setting works well (live view too)

citizin

I had ordered a filter from the ebay listing above the Hoya CM-500 variant as a replacement filter for my H3dII-50 back. It was cut to the requested size of 55x50mm without issue. I should've went to 58-60x50mm to fully fit the foam seal but it still seals on all sides.

Other than the colour being a little off. a -22 tint in ACR everything seams to be working fine. He is also offering BG-39 or BG-40.

I curious if those will be closer to the original colour vs this CM-500 replacement.

pahp2020

Hi Steve, can you give us an update about the digital back, if you got to make it work, and what you had to do? I've recently bought a digital back from jbmpsales, which didn't arrive yet, and I'm wondering what I need to do to make it work, in case something is missing. Thanks in advance!