The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji G 50/1.0

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Whilst I welcome the opportunity for such a ground breaking lens, would you choose 50mm on the G system? F/1 will be such an insanely short DoF so bokeh will need to be the deciding factor I think. I love my Mamiya 80/1.9 with converter but this one has to be especially special this wide I think.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Yeah the 50mm f1 is a XF lens for the X line, not a GF lens.

Interestingly, I thought I read that Fuji is claiming it to be the worlds fastest AF lens. I loved the 56mm 1.2 but sold it after our son started running around...I found the AF couldn’t keep up in my hands.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yeah the 50mm f1 is a XF lens for the X line, not a GF lens.

Interestingly, I thought I read that Fuji is claiming it to be the worlds fastest AF lens. I loved the 56mm 1.2 but sold it after our son started running around...I found the AF couldn’t keep up in my hands.
Oh, that's a good reason. I used a Canon 1D when the kids were small. Only 4MP, but AF that is still good by modern standards. When the kids slowed down, I went to medium format :grin:.

Or do they mean it will be the only f/1.0 lens with AF in current production? "Fast" has too many meanings.

tcdeveau

Oh, that's a good reason. I used a Canon 1D when the kids were small. Only 4MP, but AF that is still good by modern standards. When the kids slowed down, I went to medium format :grin:.

Or do they mean it will be the only f/1.0 lens with AF in current production? "Fast" has too many meanings.
Ah good point. Open to multiple interpretations indeed.

I've moved on from the Fuji X to the Nikon Z which seems to be fitting my needs well. I still feel the system is in gen 1 state though and am looking forward to the next generation of bodies.

I used the X1D on Carter a little before he could start crawling, and now it's an exercise in futility haha. At least it's kept me away from looking too hard at the 80mm 1.9? Sorry Dante. At some point I figure he'll slow down and I can use MF with the fam again, or maybe even dip my toes into the 0.95 pool with the new Nikon Noct or a Noctilux.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gonna be optically difficult to make a 50mm f1.0 lens that covers GFX... Possibly a 65 or 70 would work, but it would be massive.

Have you tried adapting a Canon 85/1.2? I bet it will come close to covering. Might even be worth trying the Canon 50/1.2, it will probably cover ~85-90% anyway...

The other solution is buy a Nikon Z7 and their 58mm f0.95 -- now that's an AE workable combo! (It is MF though.) Best part is it's only 8 grand, mere peanuts for your gear closet!!!: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1511298-REG/nikon_20086_nikkor_z_58mm_f_0_95.html

Talk about SEXY! >>>

MGrayson

The Canon 85/1.2 covers the GFX, almost. The effect is ... well, here:

Vignetting in the corners, but not hard (at f/1.2 - not sure about f/8) DoF is what you'd expect. In five tries, I could not land on the eyes. This is close as I got. Oh, and AF worked ... but I have version 1 of the 85/1.2, and it's slow on anything.

Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dang Matt, you're looking pretty good for your age!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

MGrayson

Dang Matt, you're looking pretty good for your age!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
:grin::grin:

Just this afternoon, I had my "portrait" taken by an expert. This, BTW, is with the XF 14/2.8 on the X-H1. I think he was 10" from me. Oh, straight OOC, with auto levels. Ok, getting :OT:!

jng

:grin::grin:

Just this afternoon, I had my "portrait" taken by an expert. This, BTW, is with the XF 14/2.8 on the X-H1. I think he was 10" from me. Oh, straight OOC, with auto levels. Ok, getting :OT:!
Matt,

I actually like this perspective but someone's butt photobombed your "portrait." :ROTFL:

John

MGrayson

Matt,

I actually like this perspective but someone's butt photobombed your "portrait." :ROTFL:

John
Ok, so it needs some retouching :ROTFL:

(I like "photobumming". Now that you've said it, Ed, there must already be a website dedicate to it.)