The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

whats with the Dante stuff?

Abstraction

I think it has to do with Dante's Inferno - a place that burns through cash of all those who enter on overpriced **** they don't need

jng

And note the subheading of this forum:

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here." (Dante)

kdphotography

In a nutshell, "Dante's Inferno," and this forum, is a way of poking fun at ourselves for the perceived egregious amounts of money spent to enjoy our photographic pursuits. Once "invested" and a taste of medium format digital taken, it is very difficult to leave Purgatory.
Hell, most here probably aren't even trying to leave.

Those here that partake in Dante's Inferno appreciate life and the mere fact of being able to be here.

There are other pursuits in life. Put it this way, for example, you could have bought a boat instead. :loco:;) All told, I like to remind myself that medium format digital is less expensive than a boat, and easier to take care of than horses.

:thumbup:

Ken

Abstraction

There are other pursuits in life. Put it this way, for example, you could have bought a boat instead. :loco:;) All told, I like to remind myself that medium format digital is less expensive than a boat, and easier to take care of than horses.

:thumbup:

Ken

djonesii

Workshop Member
curious as to what the 'in joke' is
Abandon hope.... I'm on my THIRD medium format system.

Mamiya, Phase One, and now Fuji.

All hope of ever returning to full frame with out feeling shorted in some way or another is impossible. I will bend what ever way necessary to justify my perception.

The sad reality is that medium format is a fools game of marginal diminishing returns. Fuji APS-C shot well is close to a Sony 24mpix full frame, and a Sony 48 megapixel shot well is close to a Fuji 50 mpix, and NOTHING matches a phase one 150 mpix.

Where does one stop.

Right now the story that I'm sticking to is no corvette, no Harley, and no boat!

Thus, I have entered the inferno and there is no way back!

Dave

glennedens

I'm sure you've all heard the old adage the two happiest days of a yacht (boat) owners life: the day you buy her (boats are referred to in the female) and the day you sell her.

I've felt that way about a few medium format cameras but in general no, not so much :)

I have been both routes - many medium format systems chasing the diminishing returns and a boat - her name was Blue Luna Sea (many puns in there). Try using a medium format camera on a boat :)

And of course just browse the medium format and coffee thread.......

Glenn

Godfrey

I know nothing of Dante or the Medium Format Digital inferno. I just want a digital Hasselblad in the same form factor as my 500CM to complement my film Hasselblad.

Why? I like shooting with that kind of camera.

:D

G

We all get to be young and foolish in our lives.
If we survive that, we get to be old and foolish.

Mexecutioner

Abandon hope.... I'm on my THIRD medium format system.

Mamiya, Phase One, and now Fuji.

All hope of ever returning to full frame with out feeling shorted in some way or another is impossible. I will bend what ever way necessary to justify my perception.

The sad reality is that medium format is a fools game of marginal diminishing returns. Fuji APS-C shot well is close to a Sony 24mpix full frame, and a Sony 48 megapixel shot well is close to a Fuji 50 mpix, and NOTHING matches a phase one 150 mpix.

Where does one stop.

Right now the story that I'm sticking to is no corvette, no Harley, and no boat!

Thus, I have entered the inferno and there is no way back!

Dave

Well... I don't fit in a Corvette (I'm 6'6"), I get crazy sea sick on a boat and my wife won't let me get a motorcycle (she used to ride a while ago and the guy she was dating at the time died in an accident), so I basically had no choice...

Where does one stop? On the next back. The next will be my last back...

darr

Well... I don't fit in a Corvette (I'm 6'6"), I get crazy sea sick on a boat and my wife won't let me get a motorcycle (she used to ride a while ago and the guy she was dating at the time died in an accident), so I basically had no choice...

Where does one stop? On the next back. The next will be my last back...
:OT: So sorry your wife has this very sad memory. My 22 year-old cousin got out of the army on a Friday, bought a new motorcycle the next day, Saturday and died riding it on Sunday. :cry: When I dated a guy with a motorcycle, he had to park it a block away or my mother would have chased him away. I have taken a few falls on my e-bike and cannot imagine if I was going faster than 10 mph what type of injuries I could have endured.

I fortunately do not have GAS when it comes to newer backs, but I enjoy having different medium format camera systems, so my addiction is hopeless!!

Best to you,
Darr

Abstraction

:OT: So sorry your wife has this very sad memory. My 22 year-old cousin got out of the army on a Friday, bought a new motorcycle the next day, Saturday and died riding it on Sunday. :cry: When I dated a guy with a motorcycle, he had to park it a block away or my mother would have chased him away. I have taken a few falls on my e-bike and cannot imagine if I was going faster than 10 mph what type of injuries I could have endured.

Best to you,
Darr
I have 3 motorcycles and I ride at least one of them every day. I took a spill at around 30mph a few years ago. My face hit the ground. I was wearing a full face helmet, so that was fine. I wore motorcycle boots, so that was fine too. I had my motorcycle gloves, not a scratch. My jacket was at the cleaners that day. Since I fell on the gravel, the gravel shot up and when it does, it's like a bunch of razor blades, so I had cuts on my arms. I drove myself to the hospital, they treated me and I was fine. I went home and I just had to come back every day for two weeks to change my dressing. Had I worn my motorcycle jacket, I would have walked away without a scratch.

It's not so bad, you just have to be aware.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I used to have a sailboat. Anybody heard about the "3 foot rule"? That's the number of feet you increase in size for each new boat you buy. Like with cameras, the new boat always cost twice as much as what you get for the last one. Cameras, even medium format digital, are reasonable in comparison, particularly when it comes to maintenance.

But I have learned... a little bit, so I shoot MF film. I just have to remember not to get carried away. It's two dollars per click and twenty for a hi-res scan. To explain to myself how smart I am buying obsolete stuff, I have an old Fuji price list at my desk, showing the original lens prices for the GX680 that I use :ROTFL:

JoelM

I've fallen off a motorcycle at 135mph and walked away, no problem. I've also fallen off (high side) at 20mph and broke my foot and received a major concussion. The reality and physics of it is that it is not a problem of how fast you are going, but rather how fast you stop. Oh, this was all during racing and not on the street. I ride very carefully on the street and have never crashed. On the track is a whole other thing as it is a matter of when, not if (that is if you want to win). Been down a few other times as well. As Abstraction pointed out, ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time).

Joel

Don Libby

I've been shot at and hit, survived a head on accident and fell off a bike in LA traffic. I also fell into Granite Creek at Glacier NP. Broken just about every bone on my left side. Life is too short to worry about stuff. I find myself speaking either to or about Dante everyday, normally the conversation end with "buy it".

I'm really liking that Don Libby guy. And definitely---"Buy it."

Life is short. Appreciate what you have.

Enjoy your passions in life---and especially all things dealing with photography, and of course, medium format digital.

--Dante

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Survivor bias is deadly. Guess who's not posting in this thread?

By an insane coincidence, there is an LA photographer with the same name as me. Very different style, as you can see from his site. He was not so lucky wrt motorcycles. He lived, but - well, you can read his story here:

https://mattgrayson.com/about

Matt

Steve Hendrix

Survivor bias is deadly. Guess who's not posting in this thread?

By an insane coincidence, there is an LA photographer with the same name as me. Very different style, as you can see from his site. He was not so lucky wrt motorcycles. He lived, but - well, you can read his story here:

https://mattgrayson.com/about

Matt

Holy crap. Glad that wasn't you, Matt. I love his opening sentence.

Steve Hendrix/CI