The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

whats with the Dante stuff?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm (a healthy) 75 year old whose children are very well off economically and don't need my estate. Dante told me that I can't take it with me (that sucks) so camera companies have become my beneficiaries, even if they're not mentioned in my will.

And actually, I have grown to like Dante. He has NEVER criticized me for buying another lens or body or accessory. A truly nice guy.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Spoken like a mathematician -- oh, wait a minute! :ROTFL:
:lecture:It's a HUGE problem analyzing historical performance of stocks or hedge funds. You take a bunch of companies that still exist and amazingly, their historical performance is great!:lecture:

On the other hand, "investing" in medium format digital gear is guaranteed to lose a ton of money, so that analysis is easy. :cool::cool:.

Pelorus

There must be something about the Grayson name and photography...I like both the Matt Graysons' work :ROTFL:

Survivor bias is deadly. Guess who's not posting in this thread?

By an insane coincidence, there is an LA photographer with the same name as me. Very different style, as you can see from his site. He was not so lucky wrt motorcycles. He lived, but - well, you can read his story here:

https://mattgrayson.com/about

Matt

Godfrey

I wouldn't wish the man's experience on anyone, but I think he was very lucky indeed. To have experienced a collision and injuries like that and to still be alive ... and walking! ... is very very lucky indeed. And speaks to an intense amount of bloodymindedness regarding staying alive and regaining your health. Bravo, Alternate Matt Grayson!

I ride, I cycle, and I drive: All three are "dangerous" activities. I make photographs; it's a lot less risky most of the time. Buying MFD equipment is a near guaranteed loss of money in the long run, I guess that puts it into the "risky" category... :D

If today is as superbly summer-like as yesterday around here, I'll take the motorcycle out for a putt. :thumbup:

G

fotoism

Back to Dante...

With the release of Phase One's XT, I guess Dante's grip is getting tighter and tighter......:ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
On the other hand, "investing" in medium format digital gear is guaranteed to lose a ton of money, so that analysis is easy. :cool::cool:.
It's one thing for a commercial photographer who's clients want and are willing to pay for them to own and depreciate that gear. It's another when your clients cannot see the difference between your MFDB capture and your higher end DSLR capture, and ultimately choose one of your less perfect technically DSLR images over your more perfect technically MFDB images. And frankly that's why I no longer own any MF capture gear. Do *I* miss having it? Sure, and almost every time I go out to shoot. But then financial realities ultimately interfered... But I still enjoyed the run --and Dante's grip-- while it lasted! :ROTFL:

Hausen

My worst accident was a photographic accident, a cliff fall, and my wife and adult kids staged an intervention while in hospital and all dangerous hobbies had to go. So the Rocket III and DH MTB had to go so now I can spend my $$ on MF Digital. You have to look at the bright side:)

Godfrey

...If today is as superbly summer-like as yesterday around here, I'll take the motorcycle out for a putt. ...
Never got the chance to take out the motorcycle. I had too much fun doing an upper body workout at the gym and a 19 mile bicycle ride, the latter in summer weight bicycle shorts and t-shirt.

Dante? Fuji? Phase One? Feh. I just want my Hasselblad... ;)

G

djonesii

Workshop Member
Unlike pro's, I don't have to justify my camera gear on ROI.

It's all toys. Just got to get the kids out of Uni, then I'm really off to the races! ( Still no Corvette, Motorcycle or Boat though )

Dave

:lecture:It's a HUGE problem analyzing historical performance of stocks or hedge funds. You take a bunch of companies that still exist and amazingly, their historical performance is great!:lecture:

Geoff

Never got the chance to take out the motorcycle. I had too much fun doing an upper body workout at the gym and a 19 mile bicycle ride, the latter in summer weight bicycle shorts and t-shirt.

Dante? Fuji? Phase One? Feh. I just want my Hasselblad... ;)

G
Some of us just get to shovel snow instead. And use our camera gear.

ErikKaffehr

I know nothing of Dante or the Medium Format Digital inferno. I just want a digital Hasselblad in the same form factor as my 500CM to complement my film Hasselblad.

Why? I like shooting with that kind of camera.

:D

G

We all get to be young and foolish in our lives.
If we survive that, we get to be old and foolish.
Nothing wrong with that! I guess you have some time to save up for it!

Best regards
Erik

darr

Nothing wrong with that! I guess you have some time to save up for it!

Best regards
Erik
Erik so true! :ROTFL:

From my own experience I always needed more cash for the Hassy gear. Starting at age nineteen I realized I wanted the 500C and in just a few years, it became my tool of trade after waiting and saving, and waiting and saving and ...

Now in 2020, still waiting and saving for more Hassy gear!

Best to you!
Darr

DougDolde

Only a person who hasn't experienced tens of thousands in depreciation of a medium format kit would understand the Dante reference

You only live once.

Follow your passion and live for experiences---such is the world of medium format digital photography.

Those here in Dante's Inferno are a *ahem* blessed group, and know to appreciate life.

And with recent offerings from Fuji (or even gently used MFDBs), not everyone has to spend tens of thousands of dollars to enjoy medium format digital photography, although the highest levels of Purgatory are reserved for the most dedicated purveyors of the Inferno.

I miss you, Doug. And I know your troubled heart misses me too.

xoxo Dante