The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 35-75 Zoom

hcubell

The mythic Hasselblad XCD 35-75 Zoom for the X1D has finally been released into the wild some 2+ years after it was first announced. If the MTF charts are to be believed, the optical performance should be spectacular. I will try to shoot with it this weekend and post some photographs and initial observations.

IMG_6620.jpg

tcdeveau

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Thanks for sharing Howard.

Where/when did you order?

hcubell

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Thanks for sharing Howard.

Where/when did you order?
From Hasselblad last June when it was formally announced (as opposed to the informal "announcement" in November, 2017).

tcdeveau

From Hasselblad last June when it was formally announced (as opposed to the informal "announcement" in November, 2017).
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing your results.

They first announced it back in February of 2017 (https://www.hasselblad.com/press/pr...ad-announces-four-new-xcd-lenses-for-the-x1d/) and I've been waiting for it ever since. They originally said it would launch in 2018.

My original order was through B&H, but in the meantime, I gained a local dealer again and cancelled the B&H order and went with my local dealer. I'll get it when I get it, but I'm glad to see it shipping at least. My patience has also pretty much run its course with HB, and as much as I enjoy their products, the 35-75 might be my last with them.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
:worthless:

Someone had to say it. And I don't mean pictures OF the lens, attractive though it is. :D

Matt

Godfrey

Great stuff! I'm glad it's finally getting into the hands of users.
I look forward to hearing some user impressions and seeing some photos!

I'll continue to patiently wait for my 907x Special Edition. After all, it's not like I have no other equipment to keep me entertained in the meanwhile... including my 1978 Hasselblad 500CM, which was delivered to me on the "quick delivery through several other users" plan about five or so years ago. :)

These things are timeless... LOL!

G

D&A

Joe, appreciate your posting these images and also your initial impressions. Although I'm not currently a user of the X1D system, optics (their absolute technical performance as well as the way they draw and present an image), even more so than camera bodies have "always" been a keen interest of mine from way back when. Looking forward to seeing more images from this lens when better conditions prevail. We've been dealing with the same lousy weather as you, so I can truly sympathize.

Dave (D&A)

tcdeveau

The Hasselblad XCD 35-75mm zoom lens finally arrived!! The UPS man delivered it this afternoon. Unfortunately, it's been raining on and off for a couple of weeks and today was no exception. Not to be deterred, I went out in the rain and took a few photos in the front yard.

Looking closely at the performance of the lens over the focal length range, I'm impressed. This zoom may be better than the 45mm and 65mm primes. Since those are two excellent lenses, that would be quite a feat. I'll be able to tell more when we actually have some useful daylight and I can shoot at a lower ISO. The camera and lens (and I) got wet. No harm done.

I've been waiting since November 2017 for this lens. Although it's chunky and heavy, it balances well with the X1D II body. And it replaces 2-3 prime lenses in the bag. I'm sure the online reviewers will have more to say in the coming days and weeks.

BTW, IBIS would have been helpful today. C'est la vie.

Joe
Congrats Joe!

hcubell

I have now had the opportunity to test the new XCD 35-75 zoom against the two primes that I own that are within the range of the zoom, the 30mm and the 45mm XCD lenses. I would have been impressed if the zoom at 35mm and 45mm came very close to the two primes, which are highly regarded lenses in their own right. It does not. It actually surpasses them. I am totally astonished at the optical quality of the zoom. I do not have a 65mm prime to test it against, but the performance of the zoom at the longer end of the range also looks spectacular. The one drawback to the zoom is that is not light. 2.5 pounds. However, the zoom can replace three primes in your backpack, which weigh 3.6 lbs.
Here is a photograph with the zoom shot at 75mm f/16 yesterday. The level of detail is stunning, but the jpeg on the internet does not do it justice.

View attachment 147412

Attachments

pegelli

Congrats Howard, looks excellent (even at web size) so probably even better when viewd at full size.

Btw, looks like an interesting location, can you explore it a bit closer up and get inside (or between the buildings). These type of areas usually attract me like a magnet, allthough this particular one is most likely a bit far away for me.

hcubell

Congrats Howard, looks excellent (even at web size) so probably even better when viewd at full size.

Btw, looks like an interesting location, can you explore it a bit closer up and get inside (or between the buildings). These type of areas usually attract me like a magnet, allthough this particular one is most likely a bit far away for me.
Thanks. It is a bit far. Vermont! It is possible to get in between the buildings, but I have never tried to get inside. These buildings were originally built in the 60's as a granary, but some have been repurposed into other uses over the years. I have some other photographs from here that I will try to share.