The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR 9.2 ... IQ4 150 now supported!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
For those Phase One closet Lightroom users out there, or for those that just depend on LR’s Library module for it’s DAM features (much better than Capture one), todays release supports the IQ4 150!

Also Lightroom finally supports PSB files .... big deal for those using Lightroom and doing pano merges etc.

Paul2660

How do the files look when opened in LR? The LR conversion for the 3100 was less than stellar as any push in shadow areas had a red tint and way too much noise.

I have not looked at Adobe for the CMOS backs in a while due to problems I saw when LR announced 3100 support.

Paul C

Craig Stocks

So far it looks pretty good to me. I don't see any of the red shadow issue that was so common with IQ3100 files but I've only checked a couple of images.

dchew

Yeah looks pretty good. I am one of those who uses both programs. Glad we have options!

Dave

Greg Haag

Yeah looks pretty good. I am one of those who uses both programs. Glad we have options!

Dave
Same here, between all of my old Hasselblad files and current use of Leica S, I am very tied to Lightroom. It really threw my workflow off when I could not import Phase One files into Lightroom.

dchew

Same here, between all of my old Hasselblad files and current use of Leica S, I am very tied to Lightroom. It really threw my workflow off when I could not import Phase One files into Lightroom.
Yes, exactly my issue. I still have a big hole in my workflow. I've all but abandoned the master PS file concept. With the great layers capability in C1, I do very little in PS these days other than simple 2-image stitching. That means my "master" file is really the raw file in C1. That gets exported as a tiff into LR into my master catalog. But, obviously that is a single-layer tiff. If I ever want to change it I need to go back into C1 and re-export the tiff file into LR. The hole is a direct link to that raw file like a smart object.

I should know this, but is there a way to imbed the C1 raw file with all its adjustments (like an EiP) into an exported tiff that can then be reopened in C1? I know it would be a big file, but in my case that doesn't matter.

Dave

Greg Haag

I should know this, but is there a way to imbed the C1 raw file with all its adjustments (like an EiP) into an exported tiff that can then be reopened in C1?

Dave[/QUOTE]

Dave, to my knowledge there is not, the last I read C1 does not offer a way to save its adjustment data into xmp sidecars so that LR can read the adjustments.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I should know this, but is there a way to imbed the C1 raw file with all its adjustments (like an EiP) into an exported tiff that can then be reopened in C1?

Dave

Dave, to my knowledge there is not, the last I read C1 does not offer a way to save its adjustment data into xmp sidecars so that LR can read the adjustments.[/QUOTE]

This misunderstands what a raw file is.

C1 can (and does) write it's adjustments to a sidecar (happens to carry the file extension .cos but it's encoded in XML format). But that's irrelevant.

The final output of any raw editing software (LR/C1/Aperture/whatever) is [Raw data] + [Adjustment Settings] + [Math/Algorithms]

Since C1 does not use the same math as LR* having the same raw data and adjustment settings cannot result in the same image.

So you can either keep the flexibility of a raw file, or you can have the final image produced by C1, but (unless you remain in C1) you cannot have both. The closest you can come is outputting a 16-bit TIFF that is carefully adjusted to not contain any clipped whites or blacks; it's not the same as a raw, but it's as good as you'll get if you want to avail yourself of C1's color/detail/lens algorithms but use some other software to do the rest.

*In my heavily biased opinion this is a very good thing, since I find the math in C1 is much better

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
By the way, we (DT) coordinated with Adobe on capturing the required images to implement support for the IQ4 in LightRoom. I still advocate strongly that C1 is the best raw processor on the market, and frankly, with the tools added in 12 and 20, I think everything else is a distant second. BUT we believe in choice for our clients, and LR has some highly useful features C1 does not (e.g. pano stitching), so it made sense for us to spend our time to help make sure it was supported.

Glad its inclusion pleased some on the forum!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
By the way, we (DT) coordinated with Adobe on capturing the required images to implement support for the IQ4 in LightRoom. I still advocate strongly that C1 is the best raw processor on the market, and frankly, with the tools added in 12 and 20, I think everything else is a distant second. BUT we believe in choice for our clients, and LR has some highly useful features C1 does not (e.g. pano stitching), so it made sense for us to spend our time to help make sure it was supported.

Glad its inclusion pleased some on the forum!
Like support of Leica S and Hasselblad X1D files.

:angry::banghead:

Matt (yes, I complain about this constantly, and I should complain to C1...)

Stephan S

LR has some highly useful features C1 does not (e.g. pano stitching), so it made sense for us to spend our time to help make sure it was supported.
Doug, are you suggesting that the following workflow would now be possible?

1. Stitch pano from two IQ150 raws in LR.
2. Import the unadjusted and stitched raw pano to C1, and finalize the color, tone, sharpening in C1.

I doubt the lens correction code would translate to a pano, but do you happen to know if the basic adjustments would function normally?

-Stephan

Doug, are you suggesting that the following workflow would now be possible?

1. Stitch pano from two IQ150 raws in LR.
2. Import the unadjusted and stitched raw pano to C1, and finalize the color, tone, sharpening in C1.

I doubt the lens correction code would translate to a pano, but do you happen to know if the basic adjustments would function normally?

-Stephan
Stephan, you can edit LR stitched DNGs in C1 20 Pro. The C1 20 for Phase One version doesn't allow editing DNGs even when they come from a Phase One camera. When I worked with a 460MP DNG C1 performance was very slow on my PC. It's much faster to work with similar sized files in Photoshop. My stitched DNG had a different white balance bias compared to native IQ4 files. So you cannot use the same settings as for single shot IQ4 files for the same appearance.

-Dominique

rsinclair

The LR update w/ IQ4150 DOES recognize IQ4150 IIQ's, but DOES NOT recognize IQ4150 Achromatic IIQ's so they cannot be imported, nor does it include the XT Rodenstock lenses in the Lens Corrections.

_RS

Steve Hendrix

The LR update w/ IQ4150 DOES recognize IQ4150 IIQ's, but DOES NOT recognize IQ4150 Achromatic IIQ's so they cannot be imported, nor does it include the XT Rodenstock lenses in the Lens Corrections.

_RS

I would imagine if they did have Rodenstock lens profiles in LR (which I don't believe they do), those could be substituted for XT. The same could be said for Capture One (where the Rodenstock profiles do exist).

Steve Hendrix/CI

rsinclair

I would imagine if they did have Rodenstock lens profiles in LR (which I don't believe they do), those could be substituted for XT. The same could be said for Capture One (where the Rodenstock profiles do exist).

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,

Thanks for the comment. I did check for Roden's but they're not on the dropdown list. I prefer C1 anyway, but am currently working with someone that doesn't have it so we were hoping this LR update would offer a solution for him to view the IIQ's. He can view the IQ4's, but not the Achros unless I convert to DNG's, and only manual lens correction for all.

Thx,
Robert