The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firewire cable for Aptus II Back

aminio

Hi everyone,

After some time with only 120 film on my Mamiya, I was finally able to pull the trigger on a DM33 back. Unfortunately it cam without the firewire cable to connect it to my (old) MacBook pro (late 2011, with firewire port). As it is the only way to update the firmware, as far as I know, and to tether the back, I'd like to get one for sake of completeness (I don not really plan to tether the back much, for sure not while travelling).
I've looked online and the one has a stellar price, nearly $200, in my opinion crazy for a cable that almost no computer can plug in. So I looked around for alternatives, other firewire 800 IEEE 1394B 9 Pin double male cables and cheaper alternatives are still available with a wide range of prices. What worry me in the choice, however, is the size of the plug that I'm not certain will fit. Looking at the port in the bottom of the back I see that the opening around the port is pretty tight.
Does anyone have experience with a non-original cables (and non-original-cable-price) that do fit the back and are still available? I know I can buy a cheap one that "seems" to fit and eventually shave the sides of the plug holder, but I'd rather avoid this DIY things.

Thank to anyone in advance,
Andy

MartinN

I have 'shaved' some aftermarket firewirecables in the price range 15-30€ and the operation is quite easy. Otherwise getting a non-original cable the fit will be something of a gamble. Yes, indeed, the original cables are way too expensive.

ODYSSEUS

I have 'shaved' some aftermarket firewirecables in the price range 15-30€ and the operation is quite easy. Otherwise getting a non-original cable the fit will be something of a gamble. Yes, indeed, the original cables are way too expensive.
Buy any cable on Amazon or else and shave it a little bit with a dremel tool for example or use a nail file

It works perfeclty

a cable on Amazon is around 8 € and a leaf's cable is more than 280 € Crazy world !!