The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iq4 150... Going to be approaching 1.5yrs of this release and still no IPad tethering

beano_z

Funny I was thinking the same thing just hours ago, even though I never used the wifi function much even with the IQ3 100. What prompted me was an add on my Instagram feed from SmallHD and I was thinking it might be nice to have a quick preview on a large screen right on location. But like the above post......no further comment, it's all been said and I don't think anything I'll write will have any added value...

pinktank

It's straight up ridiculous. The ipad pro is cheaper than a good field monitor and has the processing power to handle inefficient programming, and it has usb-c. Given that Hasselblad has had Phocus Mobile working for a while, it's a shame that we are limited to working jerry-rigging a Surface Pro. If they wanted to stepped developing where we start with a remote commander with live view and no storage, that still would be a start.

Craig Stocks

It’s absolutely ridiculous to take this long, and now even Adobe Lightroom supports the IQ4150 but Capture Pilot still doesn’t. As I’ve said before, either Phase One’s programming team is incompetent and doesn’t know how or they just aren’t working on it with any sense of urgency. Very disappointing either way. When people ask me about medium format now I recommend they look at Fuji.

Paul2660

It will be here soon, IQ5150! :salute:

On a more serious note Phase has been real quiet lately maybe something is in the works.

I agree it’s not on The iPad Pro side as they now have plenty of processing power, even for video editing.

Paul C

dchew

If they don't implement a Capture Pilot replacement AND the ability to adjust the electronic shutter directly while in live view for all tech camera users (not just for the XT), I will never buy another back. For me, it is that simple.

Dave

Craig Stocks

If they don't implement a Capture Pilot replacement AND the ability to adjust the electronic shutter directly while in live view for all tech camera users (not just for the XT), I will never buy another back. For me, it is that simple.

Dave
I agree. My fear is that they will come out with an IQ5150 and expect us to buy a $20K upgrade to get features we had every reason to expect in the current back. Personally, I'm getting off the upgrade train. I've lost confidence in Phase One. The only thing Phase can do to satisfy me is to provide the features for zero cost (no upgrades, no app purchases, etc.).

Boinger

Dave
I agree. My fear is that they will come out with an IQ5150 and expect us to buy a $20K upgrade to get features we had every reason to expect in the current back. Personally, I'm getting off the upgrade train. I've lost confidence in Phase One. The only thing Phase can do to satisfy me is to provide the features for zero cost (no upgrades, no app purchases, etc.).
I am pretty much in the same boat. I swapped from a H6D due to the poor firmware updates and features that were advertised but not in the camera from launch. I had to wait one year for simple functionality like the ability to shoot on a tech camera.

When I was buying into the system I was assured by the dealers oh Phaseone is not hasselblad etc. etc. low and behold history has repeated itself. I am beyond frustrated. I don't even think we have an intervelometer yet? The funny thing is the code is already there in the form of frame averaging it would be very simple to adapt and turn on the intervelometer.

Nothing much more to say.

mristuccia

Just following this thread out of curiosity.

If I can add my two cents, let me just say that from such high prices and state of the art technologies, and in such contemporary times I'd expect that a platform like the 4150 should offer from the beginning the possibility to script our own functionalities and to have an app store from where we could download new apps with features developed by other people.
If I've understood well the 4150 platform is based on a fully flagged OS underneath. That means this would be easily done by exposing a full set of API and a way to develop and install new functionalities.

Phase One itself could economically benefit from this idea by taking a fee from every app sold in the app store, just like Apple is doing right now.

Nowadays the world in which we are slaves begging for new functionalities made by the hardware vendor should be a past era. Vendors should only provide new hardware platforms and a base software set. A distinct and creative community of photographers and developers should provide new functionalities.

JeRuFo

Just following this thread out of curiosity.

If I can add my two cents, let me just say that from such high prices and state of the art technologies, and in such contemporary times I'd expect that a platform like the 4150 should offer from the beginning the possibility to script our own functionalities and to have an app store from where we could download new apps with features developed by other people.
If I've understood well the 4150 platform is based on a fully flagged OS underneath. That means this would be easily done by exposing a full set of API and a way to develop and install new functionalities.

Phase One itself could economically benefit from this idea by taking a fee from every app sold in the app store, just like Apple is doing right now.

Nowadays the world in which we are slaves begging for new functionalities made by the hardware vendor should be a past era. Vendors should only provide new hardware platforms and a base software set. A distinct and creative community of photographers and developers should provide new functionalities.
Apparently their resources are already stretched to the limit, so spending quite a bit of time and money on all that, plus all the legal and security ramifications doesn't seem wise right now. Plus, what developer wants to spend money on developing functionalities, for an extremely niche product, that the manufacturer allegedly is already working on.

jduncan

It’s absolutely ridiculous to take this long, and now even Adobe Lightroom supports the IQ4150 but Capture Pilot still doesn’t. As I’ve said before, either Phase One’s programming team is incompetent and doesn’t know how or they just aren’t working on it with any sense of urgency. Very disappointing either way. When people ask me about medium format now I recommend they look at Fuji.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that this days P1 is more and more a software company. Capture One revenue review is growing a lot.
There is not one week I don't hear about people testing or switching to Capture One.
It could be that they are smelling opportunity and they have all the programmers set to improve C1 first and make it easier to use.

P1 is not a big company. They should talk, but you know, HB does not talk either.

Best regards,

TheDude

a platform like the 4150 should offer from the beginning the possibility to script our own functionalities and to have an app store from where we could download new apps with features developed by other people.
On my smartphone I have various photo apps and use the one that offers best the features I need for the job in hand. Often that is the Apple Photo app, but often it isn't (for once, option of RAW files is still not available.)

I think, apps might be a bit of a jump for a digital back like P1, but on second thought, why not! Third parties or users (photographers) would in effect further develop usability of the digital back at no cost to P1.

TheDude

My fear is that they will come out with an IQ5150 and expect us to buy a $20K upgrade to get features we had every reason to expect in the current back.
Had to think about the Hasselblad CVF-50c digital back I use. Launched in 2014, live-view still sucks, no electronic shutter although the sensor does allow for it.

Gave up on software update and now wait for the announced CVF-50c Mark II to be finally released (talk is now April 2020 at the earliest). Still the same sensor (IMX161) but now hopefully (we don't know for sure) usable live-view and electronic shutter.

Last edited:

MrSmith

Surprised the dealers haven’t posted in this thread, the response is quite rapid if somebody is considering a P1 purchase.
They have posted in others in the last couple of hours, surely they have a direct line to P1 and can help their customers out?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Surprised the dealers haven’t posted in this thread...
I've posted the last, I don't know, half dozen times it's come up. As others have said, there isn't anything new to say. So I'll repeat from the past...

It will come (to the IQ4). It will be much better than previous/competitive iterations. It won't be especially soon. It's quite bad that it's taken so long, and worse that it's still not around the corner. Most problematic of all has been the poor communication and expectation setting around the issue, especially early on. Clients are (rightly) frustrated. Dealers are (rightly) frustrated. We (DT) have quite directly shared that frustration with P1 through formal and informal channels.

The IQ4 is still, in my highly biased opinion, the single greatest imaging platform ever created. There are dozens of reasons to say that. But it only takes a spot of mud to ruin a white dress. Phase One needs to resolve this, and they have committed to doing so; though it's not around the corner.

Steve Hendrix

Surprised the dealers haven’t posted in this thread, the response is quite rapid if somebody is considering a P1 purchase.
They have posted in others in the last couple of hours, surely they have a direct line to P1 and can help their customers out?

It may indeed surprise you, but we do after all have a direct line to Phase One and have pushed and pushed on this and other IQ4 issues. This is a running dialogue that we participate in on a regular basis with Phase One, as we always have with all products, whether it is suggested features/workflows, or emphasizing and querying delivery dates on missing features.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I've made my feelings known about this same topic in other threads on this forum. Adding to this thread does not in any way promote any engagement between us and Phase One, and those who are posting are already doing an adequate job of stating their objections about the situation.

If it means anything to you to say so that you can read it (again), we at CI share those objections.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I may be mistaken, but I believe that this days P1 is more and more a software company. Capture One revenue review is growing a lot.
There is not one week I don't hear about people testing or switching to Capture One.
It could be that they are smelling opportunity and they have all the programmers set to improve C1 first and make it easier to use.

P1 is not a big company. They should talk, but you know, HB does not talk either.
Just a quick fact check...

The vast majority of Phase One's revenue comes from hardware. In the past few years they have significantly ramped up investment in software as that business has high margins (great software is expensive to develop, but there is no meaningful cost to sell another license of it), reinforces the hardware they produce, and the only meaningful competition (LightRoom) seems to be re-orienting toward casual prosumer use, leaving a big gap for the serious enthusiast / pro.

To your point though... The two teams do not pool specific programmers, so it's not possible for the team of one to be pulled into a task for the other.