Site Sponsors

Thread: Iq4 150... Going to be approaching 1.5yrs of this release and still no IPad tethering

Post Thanks / Like

Iq4 150... Going to be approaching 1.5yrs of this release and still no IPad tethering

Anyone else a bit annoyed by this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Iq4 150... Going to be approaching 1.5yrs of this release and still no IPad tethe

Yes... and no further comment.
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iq4 150... Going to be approaching 1.5yrs of this release and still no IPad tethe

Funny I was thinking the same thing just hours ago, even though I never used the wifi function much even with the IQ3 100. What prompted me was an add on my Instagram feed from SmallHD and I was thinking it might be nice to have a quick preview on a large screen right on location. But like the above post......no further comment, it's all been said and I don't think anything I'll write will have any added value...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have anything nice to say.

Post Thanks / Like

It's straight up ridiculous. The ipad pro is cheaper than a good field monitor and has the processing power to handle inefficient programming, and it has usb-c. Given that Hasselblad has had Phocus Mobile working for a while, it's a shame that we are limited to working jerry-rigging a Surface Pro. If they wanted to stepped developing where we start with a remote commander with live view and no storage, that still would be a start.

Post Thanks / Like

Itís absolutely ridiculous to take this long, and now even Adobe Lightroom supports the IQ4150 but Capture Pilot still doesnít. As Iíve said before, either Phase Oneís programming team is incompetent and doesnít know how or they just arenít working on it with any sense of urgency. Very disappointing either way. When people ask me about medium format now I recommend they look at Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It will be here soon, IQ5150!

On a more serious note Phase has been real quiet lately maybe something is in the works.

I agree itís not on The iPad Pro side as they now have plenty of processing power, even for video editing.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    either Phase One’s programming team is incompetent and doesn’t know how or they just aren’t working on it with any sense of urgency.
    I wonder whether it's a hardware issue?
    Last edited by TheDude; 16th February 2020 at 04:03.

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't implement a Capture Pilot replacement AND the ability to adjust the electronic shutter directly while in live view for all tech camera users (not just for the XT), I will never buy another back. For me, it is that simple.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    If they don't implement a Capture Pilot replacement AND the ability to adjust the electronic shutter directly while in live view for all tech camera users (not just for the XT), I will never buy another back. For me, it is that simple.

Dave
    I agree. My fear is that they will come out with an IQ5150 and expect us to buy a $20K upgrade to get features we had every reason to expect in the current back. Personally, I'm getting off the upgrade train. I've lost confidence in Phase One. The only thing Phase can do to satisfy me is to provide the features for zero cost (no upgrades, no app purchases, etc.).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    I agree. My fear is that they will come out with an IQ5150 and expect us to buy a $20K upgrade to get features we had every reason to expect in the current back. Personally, I'm getting off the upgrade train. I've lost confidence in Phase One. The only thing Phase can do to satisfy me is to provide the features for zero cost (no upgrades, no app purchases, etc.).
    I am pretty much in the same boat. I swapped from a H6D due to the poor firmware updates and features that were advertised but not in the camera from launch. I had to wait one year for simple functionality like the ability to shoot on a tech camera.

When I was buying into the system I was assured by the dealers oh Phaseone is not hasselblad etc. etc. low and behold history has repeated itself. I am beyond frustrated. I don't even think we have an intervelometer yet? The funny thing is the code is already there in the form of frame averaging it would be very simple to adapt and turn on the intervelometer.

Nothing much more to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just following this thread out of curiosity.

If I can add my two cents, let me just say that from such high prices and state of the art technologies, and in such contemporary times I'd expect that a platform like the 4150 should offer from the beginning the possibility to script our own functionalities and to have an app store from where we could download new apps with features developed by other people.
    If I've understood well the 4150 platform is based on a fully flagged OS underneath. That means this would be easily done by exposing a full set of API and a way to develop and install new functionalities.

Phase One itself could economically benefit from this idea by taking a fee from every app sold in the app store, just like Apple is doing right now.

Nowadays the world in which we are slaves begging for new functionalities made by the hardware vendor should be a past era. Vendors should only provide new hardware platforms and a base software set. A distinct and creative community of photographers and developers should provide new functionalities.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mristuccia View Post
    Just following this thread out of curiosity.

If I can add my two cents, let me just say that from such high prices and state of the art technologies, and in such contemporary times I'd expect that a platform like the 4150 should offer from the beginning the possibility to script our own functionalities and to have an app store from where we could download new apps with features developed by other people.
    If I've understood well the 4150 platform is based on a fully flagged OS underneath. That means this would be easily done by exposing a full set of API and a way to develop and install new functionalities.

Phase One itself could economically benefit from this idea by taking a fee from every app sold in the app store, just like Apple is doing right now.

Nowadays the world in which we are slaves begging for new functionalities made by the hardware vendor should be a past era. Vendors should only provide new hardware platforms and a base software set. A distinct and creative community of photographers and developers should provide new functionalities.
    Apparently their resources are already stretched to the limit, so spending quite a bit of time and money on all that, plus all the legal and security ramifications doesn't seem wise right now. Plus, what developer wants to spend money on developing functionalities, for an extremely niche product, that the manufacturer allegedly is already working on.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s absolutely ridiculous to take this long, and now even Adobe Lightroom supports the IQ4150 but Capture Pilot still doesn’t. As I’ve said before, either Phase One’s programming team is incompetent and doesn’t know how or they just aren’t working on it with any sense of urgency. Very disappointing either way. When people ask me about medium format now I recommend they look at Fuji.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that this days P1 is more and more a software company. Capture One revenue review is growing a lot.
    There is not one week I don't hear about people testing or switching to Capture One.
    It could be that they are smelling opportunity and they have all the programmers set to improve C1 first and make it easier to use.

P1 is not a big company. They should talk, but you know, HB does not talk either.

Best regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mristuccia View Post
    a platform like the 4150 should offer from the beginning the possibility to script our own functionalities and to have an app store from where we could download new apps with features developed by other people.
    On my smartphone I have various photo apps and use the one that offers best the features I need for the job in hand. Often that is the Apple Photo app, but often it isn't (for once, option of RAW files is still not available.)

I think, apps might be a bit of a jump for a digital back like P1, but on second thought, why not! Third parties or users (photographers) would in effect further develop usability of the digital back at no cost to P1.

Post Thanks / Like

My fear is that they will come out with an IQ5150 and expect us to buy a $20K upgrade to get features we had every reason to expect in the current back.
    Had to think about the Hasselblad CVF-50c digital back I use. Launched in 2014, live-view still sucks, no electronic shutter although the sensor does allow for it.

Gave up on software update and now wait for the announced CVF-50c Mark II to be finally released (talk is now April 2020 at the earliest). Still the same sensor (IMX161) but now hopefully (we don't know for sure) usable live-view and electronic shutter.
    Last edited by TheDude; 17th February 2020 at 11:10.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised the dealers havenít posted in this thread, the response is quite rapid if somebody is considering a P1 purchase.
    They have posted in others in the last couple of hours, surely they have a direct line to P1 and can help their customers out?
    They are just tools for a job.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Surprised the dealers haven’t posted in this thread...
    I've posted the last, I don't know, half dozen times it's come up. As others have said, there isn't anything new to say. So I'll repeat from the past...

It will come (to the IQ4). It will be much better than previous/competitive iterations. It won't be especially soon. It's quite bad that it's taken so long, and worse that it's still not around the corner. Most problematic of all has been the poor communication and expectation setting around the issue, especially early on. Clients are (rightly) frustrated. Dealers are (rightly) frustrated. We (DT) have quite directly shared that frustration with P1 through formal and informal channels.

The IQ4 is still, in my highly biased opinion, the single greatest imaging platform ever created. There are dozens of reasons to say that. But it only takes a spot of mud to ruin a white dress. Phase One needs to resolve this, and they have committed to doing so; though it's not around the corner.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Surprised the dealers havenít posted in this thread, the response is quite rapid if somebody is considering a P1 purchase.
    They have posted in others in the last couple of hours, surely they have a direct line to P1 and can help their customers out?

It may indeed surprise you, but we do after all have a direct line to Phase One and have pushed and pushed on this and other IQ4 issues. This is a running dialogue that we participate in on a regular basis with Phase One, as we always have with all products, whether it is suggested features/workflows, or emphasizing and querying delivery dates on missing features.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I've made my feelings known about this same topic in other threads on this forum. Adding to this thread does not in any way promote any engagement between us and Phase One, and those who are posting are already doing an adequate job of stating their objections about the situation.

If it means anything to you to say so that you can read it (again), we at CI share those objections.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: ē Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad ē
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: ē Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar ē

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I believe that this days P1 is more and more a software company. Capture One revenue review is growing a lot.
    There is not one week I don't hear about people testing or switching to Capture One.
    It could be that they are smelling opportunity and they have all the programmers set to improve C1 first and make it easier to use.

P1 is not a big company. They should talk, but you know, HB does not talk either.
    Just a quick fact check...

The vast majority of Phase One's revenue comes from hardware. In the past few years they have significantly ramped up investment in software as that business has high margins (great software is expensive to develop, but there is no meaningful cost to sell another license of it), reinforces the hardware they produce, and the only meaningful competition (LightRoom) seems to be re-orienting toward casual prosumer use, leaving a big gap for the serious enthusiast / pro.

To your point though... The two teams do not pool specific programmers, so it's not possible for the team of one to be pulled into a task for the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase one is a strange company. I have never figured out their closed door policy.

They have be reading these posts in this site and other forums. Great image quality is just part of the total equation. Feature and function are also important. Currently their top back has less features than previous backs and is still buggy at least mine is with the inconsistent frame size being the most current issue. This is the first back I can thing of besides the IQ1 and USB3 support, that has taken this long to stabilize. However the IQ1 was solid at announced and ship date. I feel the 4150 is still really running on a beta firmware based on the issues I still see. And when new features for the 4150 rollout they are veiled in confusion. Example is frame averaging and 16 bit files. That went back and forth for weeks and no one even the dealer channel knew who was on first base.

Dealers are the way Phase One sells but it would not be a bad idea for P1 to consider reaching out to owners of the 4150 with a timeline. They should know 99 percent of them. Based on past P1 products and past announced backs by Sept 2020 the next back should be announced. P1 also does not continue to add features to previous backs once a new product has been announced so this does not leave a lot of time for the fixes.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

The IQ4 is still, in my highly biased opinion, the single greatest imaging platform ever created. There are dozens of reasons to say that. But it only takes a spot of mud to ruin a white dress. Phase One needs to resolve this, and they have committed to doing so; though it's not around the corner.
    I guess thatís whatís makes it a bit surprising, Iím not an engineer/programmer (or whatever it takes to program/test that functionality) but from an outsider POV it canít be that difficult?!
    They are just tools for a job.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Based on past P1 products and past announced backs by Sept 2020 the next back should be announced.
    I do not expect any such announcement or product this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I share all of the frustrations posted. But most of all I am completely baffled and upset as to how primitive this piece of electronics is. Extremely limited user input which is my biggest beef. Can't input what lens focal length I'm using???? Come on how difficult is that!! It took forever for the f stop to finally become a sticky. Even though I wouldn't completely rely on it 'Auto Exposure' should be an easy piece of coding considering its available in the cheapest camera available. At least Auto Exposure would get you into the window quickly instead of going through a manual clumsy back and forth implementation as exists on the 4150.

I felt like king of the photographic world after receiving my 3100. Not so much with this latest incarnation. I sense this club is getting smaller and smaller and Phase seems to go out of their way to piss off their loyal customer base who have stayed with them through thick and thin.

Don't know where all of this is going but I sure don't feel good about it......

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    I do not expect any such announcement or product this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Besides the wifi tethering, i also would like to bring up the topic of a fully functioning capture one on the ipad, lets be honest here, its possible.

the USB-3 desaster for the iq1 series, bad firmware for the iq4 and missing wifi tethering are no good signs for phase one, i dont own any backs from them anymore, but would love to use capture one on the ipad for my gfx.

phase has changed quite drastically.

anyway, phase must feel the impact by now that fuji and hasselblad made with their new "affordable" cameras, and i dont care if doug is telling us how strong sales still are and that "we" are not even the core of business for phaseone.

we see the frustration of people over and over again, leaving phase, like gerald.d and others who are simply fed up by different things, ie. non performing services.

if phase would still be supporting the contax system, who knows maybe i would still be using them.

just my 2 cents

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Would you actually pay to upgrade your back for a 2020 new product? I sure wouldn't. The only new product they could announce would have to be a major hardware upgrade which does not include a new sensor. There are no new sensors from Sony as of now. If Sony were to make available a new sensor with smaller pixel dimensions it would severely cripple the usefulness for many of the current Phase/Rody/Schneider lenses.

Any software upgrades should be available for free.... at least that's what has been touted by dealers.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

My two cents: I've been working solidly with the Iq4150 the last 14 months now.

Yes there are features that need work, but from a working architectural photographer, I currently have almost everything I need to get the job done.

It's been a workhorse, there have been some problems, but I've personally found it a pleasure to use and reliable 99% of the time.
    That 1% was resolved pretty quickly and turned out to be a faulty old battery.

I would love to see lens selection and shift movements as dialed in options, but the back is working and we shot over 80 projects last year for our clients with it.
    A great piece of gear and it's paying for itself in the time we're saving on the computer.

A
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave
    unfortunately without Capture Pilot support, my Phase gear sits in the safe. Not sure what is going on, I know they want to ďrewriteĒ it, but at this point they should have figured out a way to make the old one work.

I started with a Phase one P25. and have upgraded to p45, p45+, p65, IQ180, IQ3100, and now IQ4150 - thatís a pretty big investment. Phase has been stellar until now, but to offer a buggy back and the only updates fix a few things and add a nice feature (that has limited usability) is ridiculous. (not to mention that it seems every update is full of bugs). I was OK at first and excited about the new back, but after so little news and updates for features and fixes that should have happened with a few months Iím getting beyond frustrated ... bitter is probably a better word. Iíll be honest Iíve told a few to not upgrade ... donít get burned like I have. Had I been told about this up front I wouldnít have purchased the back. I just assumed they would continue to offer great customer service and would roll out the necessary fixes and features in pretty short order. It appears they decided to focus on a new ďcameraĒ ... really looks like they donít think much of their customer base. I think they pushed it out early to generate cash flow to work on their ďpetĒ project ... the XT.

And now Iím wondering if itís even worse than that... they really blew it and the hardware wonít support what they need to do ... so their solution is to stick their head in the sand.

The GFX 100 is giving me some really nice files, and it might be time to cash in the phase gear. Not sure when Iíll even be able to use it effectively and efficiently again, and the A7r4 is no slouch either. Lately theyíre the only one getting used.

they might believe that their back can deliver the ďqualityĒ that others canít, but we all know itís not the camera that makes a photographer great. None of my clients care what camera I used, and I just printed a 70Ē print from the GFX 100 that is terrific, I donít think the final print would have been any different had I used the phase. Pretty easy to shoot a stitch, much like when I was using the IQ180.

And the Fuji kit is 10 lbs lighter, I have a greater focal length range, and I can even hand hold it if Iím so inclined, the IS works quite well.

Donít be surprised to see my Phase gear showing up in the for sale forum if they donít get a solution soon(and a surface isnít a solution for field work. Heck I donít even want to use it on an iPad, Capture Pilot on a iPhone Max is a great combination for a tech camera in the field).
    wayne
    My gallery
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well said Wayne.

Situation is troubling and lack of communication has been disappointing. I fully agree on the point you made on the XT.

Paul C