The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD models and DM33 - which is the latest that can be paired together?

buggz

Hello,

I am wondering what would the last model of Mamiya AFD that can use the Mamiya DM33 back?
I am looking for a body that will work with the manual focus Mamiya 645 lenses, I don't have any Mamiya 645 AF lenses.

Thanks.

Abstraction

AFAIK, you can use all Mamiya AFD cameras and DF (possibly DF+ as well) All of these cameras can use Mamiya manual focus lenses without modifications.

Qamaro

Yep if the DM33 is a Mamiya mount it will work with all AFD and DF models. I also think you'd be able to use it with an XF although that one I'd check.

Steve Hendrix

Yep if the DM33 is a Mamiya mount it will work with all AFD and DF models. I also think you'd be able to use it with an XF although that one I'd check.

Unfortunately, you cannot use it with an XF.

For the legacy AFD cameras, anything AFD can work (AFD/AFD II/AFD III).

Also, Phase One AF (same generation as AFD III), DF/DF+.

There are pros and cons for AFD vs DF generation.

Pro for AFD is that you can still shoot film.

However, if you do not shoot film, the the Pro of the DF/DF+ (which don't accept film backs) are that they are compatible with all of the newer Schneider-Kreuznach LF and BR lenses. Also, Leaf Credo and Phase One IQ were never officially supported for AFD generation, while DF/DF+ were.

So if shooting film is essential, AFD.

Otherwise, all the advantages are in favor of a DF/DF+:

- Compatible with Schneider-Kreuznac LF/BR lenses
- Compatible with Leaf Credo/Phase One IQ series
- Generally, more capable cameras

And there is not a huge difference in price (relatively, for a digital back owner) between an AFD generation and a DF/DF+ generation.

Steve Hendrix/CI