The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50R question

Greg Haag

Does anyone have an experience into the FUJIFILM GFX 50R? I am looking for a compact system and I have been interested the the GFX 50R, it is currently on sale for $3,500 and I am tempted to get this with the 50mm lens. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg

rdeloe

I've been shooting a GFX 50R exclusively since July, 2019. I'm extremely pleased with this camera, but my use case plays to its strengths. For example, I'm not shooting sports, action, street, night clubs, etc. There likely are better tools for those purposes. I use it because it's so well suited to adapted lenses of many kinds for photography that requires camera movements. I just bought my first actual Fuji GF lens a couple weeks ago (the GF 63mm f/2.8) so that I can use the camera off tripod! I took that pairing for a walk today and am delighted at how light it is.

Greg Haag

Thank you so much for you insight! I think our shooting situations are similar and also own some lenses that I could pair with it.
Thanks again,
Greg

I've been shooting a GFX 50R exclusively since July, 2019. I'm extremely pleased with this camera, but my use case plays to its strengths. For example, I'm not shooting sports, action, street, night clubs, etc. There likely are better tools for those purposes. I use it because it's so well suited to adapted lenses of many kinds for photography that requires camera movements. I just bought my first actual Fuji GF lens a couple weeks ago (the GF 63mm f/2.8) so that I can use the camera off tripod! I took that pairing for a walk today and am delighted at how light it is.

Pelorus

I can thoroughly recommend the 50R, we use it with the 32-64 and the 100-200 zooms. I love it, it's light enough yet the image quality is fantastic. The zooms are top notch.

I spent 32 days with it in Japan last year - carrying it every day and I couldn't have found a better camera. At its current price you can't pass it by. Ask Rob about the bag his setup is in - you need one of those too!!

Greg Haag

That great to hear, thank you for the feedback! I have considered starting with the 32-64 instead of the 50mm.

I can thoroughly recommend the 50R, we use it with the 32-64 and the 100-200 zooms. I love it, it's light enough yet the image quality is fantastic. The zooms are top notch.

I spent 32 days with it in Japan last year - carrying it every day and I couldn't have found a better camera. At its current price you can't pass it by. Ask Rob about the bag his setup is in - you need one of those too!!

algrove

I cannot say enough about the 50R. I use it for landscape and the occasional street work. The body with battery weighs the same as the Leica M10 or 1.7 lbs so it can be easily carried.

I mainly used the 32-64 and 100-200 in an article about using the 50R in the cold of winter. I have since acquired the 50mm lens and that combination is very small for a MF kit and at $500 you cannot go wrong.

https://photopxl.com/using-the-fuji-50r-to-shoot-steam-engines-in-the-cold-of-winter/

Greg Haag

Louis, that was a great article and looks like an amazing experience, thank you for sharing it as well as you insight.

I cannot say enough about the 50R. I use it for landscape and the occasional street work. The body with battery weighs the same as the Leica M10 or 1.7 lbs so it can be easily carried.

I mainly used the 32-64 and 100-200 in an article about using the 50R in the cold of winter. I have since acquired the 50mm lens and that combination is very small for a MF kit and at $500 you cannot go wrong.

https://photopxl.com/using-the-fuji-50r-to-shoot-steam-engines-in-the-cold-of-winter/

Satrycon

50r+63, "feels" much lighter than my Leica SL+50 summilux

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Leica SL is a camera I really wanted to like. The lenses are stunning, but the damn system is too heavy and the body uncomfortable in my hands. I used the 16-35 ONCE. That covers my favorite FoV range, and I couldn't stand using it. I'm beginning to think I may not need (want) a system between APS-C and MF. Full Frame seems for me like the "sour spot". This is purely personal. Many great photographers on this site love the Nikon, Sony, PanaLeica, and Cannon mirrorless FF options. I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own. "Shipping pallet of FF gear for only $XXXXX" :ROTFL:

Matt

I just checked. An SL with the three zooms weighs more than my GFX100 walk around kit (23, 50, 100-200). Admittedly, that doesn't have quite the range, Nevertheless it's a strong statement. (The 32-64 is a great lens, but it's heavy, and I don't use that range much, so the 50 suffices.)

Greg Haag

Matt, my walk around camera is the Leica S, and I think I am ready for something lighter and more compact. I considered the Hasselblad X1D ll 50C, but price and inability to fit into my C1 workflow makes it an unlikely solution for me.

The Leica SL is a camera I really wanted to like. The lenses are stunning, but the damn system is too heavy and the body uncomfortable in my hands. I used the 16-35 ONCE. That covers my favorite FoV range, and I couldn't stand using it. I'm beginning to think I may not need (want) a system between APS-C and MF. Full Frame seems for me like the "sour spot". This is purely personal. Many great photographers on this site love the Nikon, Sony, PanaLeica, and Cannon mirrorless FF options. I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own. "Shipping pallet of FF gear for only $XXXXX" :ROTFL:

Matt

I just checked. An SL with the three zooms weighs more than my GFX100 walk around kit (23, 50, 100-200). Admittedly, that doesn't have quite the range, Nevertheless it's a strong statement. (The 32-64 is a great lens, but it's heavy, and I don't use that range much, so the 50 suffices.)[/QUOTE

algrove

Yes, I also liked the 63 at first, but it does not have Linear Motors (LM) like the 50/3.5 and perhaps this makes it hunt a bit from time to time.

I cannot figure out why Fuji is not putting LM in the 30mm due out in a year. After using and liking LM Fuji GF lenses, I am not inclined to buy non-LM lenses any longer, but that's just me.

mristuccia

I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own.
I am thinking the same (Leica M), or look at a mirrorless MF for my Noctilux/Summilux lenses....

john
For what it counts, I took this very same decision two years ago.
I used to have a Canon FF reflex system, but it never produced enough quality for my fine-art works (colours and resolution) and it was too big and heavy for my reportage/street work (ie a scary weapon pointed to people faces).
So I got rid of it and moved "down" to Fujifilm X APS-C system (an X-T2 with prime lenses only) and "up" to Hasselblad MF digital (now with the addition of Cambo WDS).

Never regretted this decision so far. FF was just in a middle useless point for my personal needs. Happy that I realised this before getting too old, I'm happy like a baby now. :)

John_McMaster

For what it counts, I took this very same decision two years ago.
I used to have a Canon FF reflex system, but it never produced enough quality for my fine-art works (colours and resolution) and it was too big and heavy for my reportage/street work (ie a scary weapon pointed to people faces).
So I got rid of it and moved "down" to Fujifilm X APS-C system (an X-T2 with prime lenses only) and "up" to Hasselblad MF digital (now with the addition of Cambo WDS).

Never regretted this decision, I'm happy like a baby. FF is just in a middle useless point for my personal needs. Happy that I realised this before getting too old, I'm happy like a baby now. :)
I had a Fuji X-T1 with a few lenses but never liked it. Size is what the M has to offer, M(240)+35/f1.4 and CCD Monochrom +50/2 APO (really like this) is what I often carry. If the S(007) can shoot it then that is what I use, the M(240) colours are too lacking. Not really liked the 50MP Sony sensor, so the Fuji 100MP or a Sony A7Riv are the only alternatives...

john

Shashin

I'm beginning to think I may not need (want) a system between APS-C and MF. Full Frame seems for me like the "sour spot". This is purely personal. Many great photographers on this site love the Nikon, Sony, PanaLeica, and Cannon mirrorless FF options. I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own.
I had this same journey. I shoot Fuji APS-C and Pentax MFD. I was really nervous about going to APS-C rather than FF (FOMO), but I have not regretted it. Actually, I have found it quite liberating.

It is just like the old joke about a conversation between a ballet dancer and photographer. Ballet dancer: I love your photographs. You must have a really great camera. Photographer: I love your dancing. You must have really great shoes...

PeterA

Greg,

It all depends on preferred focal lengths you prefer shooting with for that chip - I was very interested in the R but I didn't like the way the 100/2 and 250 +TC balanced on it, both my original S version and now the GFX100 are better body mounts for longer lenses. If you are going to use tripods - there is no issue.

You may not like hearing this but as an ex Leica S shooter - I don't think you will see much practical difference in IQ between your S and the Fuji R in terms of IQ as far as output from chip goes. Certainly the viewfinder experience in the S is a class above in terms of clarity. In order to see an appreciable jump - you may have to go to 100MP in Fuji. However there is no doubt in my mind that the R will give as good IQ as your S at a lower per lens cost to play tariff - significantly lower, and you get the benefit of being able to use C1 if that is an issue for you.

As to weight issues - I feel no particular difference between any of the systems mentioned. What you might find is that the feel in hand of any Fuji is not Leica - this may or may not be an issue - I am quite sensitive to how something feels in hand and it is a big issue for me eg I am happy to be out of Leica M which feels heavy and clumsy to hold in my hand compared to SL/SL2 - and I can also get accurate focus every time with my fast M glass on an SL/SL2 - something which can't be said in all honesty (for me ) with M use - ironically the 21/24 lux|50 Noctilux and newer 75 and 90 Nocti's all balance better on an SL/SL2 body - but why bother when the APO Summicrons for L mount blow them all away - anyway I digress.

On a purely cost/benefit basis the R is an absolute bargain - compared to anything out there.

Pete

vjbelle

Aside from the posts above I can attest to the really high quality of the files which can easily be printed to 40 inches. Of course this depends on disciplines being used to acquire the shot but the potential is there. I think you'll be very happy with the obvious bargain price of the 50r. Have not shot with the 50mm but the 45, 63 and 110 are very good.....

All of this applies to my 50s but the 'R' is basically the same camera.

Just go for it.....

Cheers

Victor