Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FUJIFILM GFX 50R question

Post Thanks / Like

FUJIFILM GFX 50R question

Does anyone have an experience into the FUJIFILM GFX 50R? I am looking for a compact system and I have been interested the the GFX 50R, it is currently on sale for $3,500 and I am tempted to get this with the 50mm lens. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,
    Greg
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FUJIFILM GFX 50R question

I've been shooting a GFX 50R exclusively since July, 2019. I'm extremely pleased with this camera, but my use case plays to its strengths. For example, I'm not shooting sports, action, street, night clubs, etc. There likely are better tools for those purposes. I use it because it's so well suited to adapted lenses of many kinds for photography that requires camera movements. I just bought my first actual Fuji GF lens a couple weeks ago (the GF 63mm f/2.8) so that I can use the camera off tripod! I took that pairing for a walk today and am delighted at how light it is.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for you insight! I think our shooting situations are similar and also own some lenses that I could pair with it.
    Thanks again,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    I've been shooting a GFX 50R exclusively since July, 2019. I'm extremely pleased with this camera, but my use case plays to its strengths. For example, I'm not shooting sports, action, street, night clubs, etc. There likely are better tools for those purposes. I use it because it's so well suited to adapted lenses of many kinds for photography that requires camera movements. I just bought my first actual Fuji GF lens a couple weeks ago (the GF 63mm f/2.8) so that I can use the camera off tripod! I took that pairing for a walk today and am delighted at how light it is.

Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure Greg. Here's mine with my main "adapter" -- a Toyo VX23D.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great looking setup, thank you for the picture!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice! Can you please share more pics of the combo in action.

http://Www.deployant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can thoroughly recommend the 50R, we use it with the 32-64 and the 100-200 zooms. I love it, it's light enough yet the image quality is fantastic. The zooms are top notch.

I spent 32 days with it in Japan last year - carrying it every day and I couldn't have found a better camera. At its current price you can't pass it by. Ask Rob about the bag his setup is in - you need one of those too!!
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

That great to hear, thank you for the feedback! I have considered starting with the 32-64 instead of the 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    I can thoroughly recommend the 50R, we use it with the 32-64 and the 100-200 zooms. I love it, it's light enough yet the image quality is fantastic. The zooms are top notch.

I spent 32 days with it in Japan last year - carrying it every day and I couldn't have found a better camera. At its current price you can't pass it by. Ask Rob about the bag his setup is in - you need one of those too!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cannot say enough about the 50R. I use it for landscape and the occasional street work. The body with battery weighs the same as the Leica M10 or 1.7 lbs so it can be easily carried.

I mainly used the 32-64 and 100-200 in an article about using the 50R in the cold of winter. I have since acquired the 50mm lens and that combination is very small for a MF kit and at $500 you cannot go wrong.

https://photopxl.com/using-the-fuji-...old-of-winter/

Post Thanks / Like

Louis, that was a great article and looks like an amazing experience, thank you for sharing it as well as you insight.

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I cannot say enough about the 50R. I use it for landscape and the occasional street work. The body with battery weighs the same as the Leica M10 or 1.7 lbs so it can be easily carried.

I mainly used the 32-64 and 100-200 in an article about using the 50R in the cold of winter. I have since acquired the 50mm lens and that combination is very small for a MF kit and at $500 you cannot go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

50r+63, "feels" much lighter than my Leica SL+50 summilux

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Satrycon View Post
    The Leica SL is a camera I really wanted to like. The lenses are stunning, but the damn system is too heavy and the body uncomfortable in my hands. I used the 16-35 ONCE. That covers my favorite FoV range, and I couldn't stand using it. I'm beginning to think I may not need (want) a system between APS-C and MF. Full Frame seems for me like the "sour spot". This is purely personal. Many great photographers on this site love the Nikon, Sony, PanaLeica, and Cannon mirrorless FF options. I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own. "Shipping pallet of FF gear for only $XXXXX"

Matt

I just checked. An SL with the three zooms weighs more than my GFX100 walk around kit (23, 50, 100-200). Admittedly, that doesn't have quite the range, Nevertheless it's a strong statement. (The 32-64 is a great lens, but it's heavy, and I don't use that range much, so the 50 suffices.)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, my walk around camera is the Leica S, and I think I am ready for something lighter and more compact. I considered the Hasselblad X1D ll 50C, but price and inability to fit into my C1 workflow makes it an unlikely solution for me.

[QUOTE=MGrayson;812124]The Leica SL is a camera I really wanted to like. The lenses are stunning, but the damn system is too heavy and the body uncomfortable in my hands. I used the 16-35 ONCE. That covers my favorite FoV range, and I couldn't stand using it. I'm beginning to think I may not need (want) a system between APS-C and MF. Full Frame seems for me like the "sour spot". This is purely personal. Many great photographers on this site love the Nikon, Sony, PanaLeica, and Cannon mirrorless FF options. I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own. "Shipping pallet of FF gear for only $XXXXX"

Matt

I just checked. An SL with the three zooms weighs more than my GFX100 walk around kit (23, 50, 100-200). Admittedly, that doesn't have quite the range, Nevertheless it's a strong statement. (The 32-64 is a great lens, but it's heavy, and I don't use that range much, so the 50 suffices.)[/QUOTE

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MGrayson;812124]
    I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own.

I am thinking the same (Leica M), or look at a mirrorless MF for my Noctilux/Summilux lenses....

john
    used to be chiaroscuro_NZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Satrycon View Post
    Yes, I also liked the 63 at first, but it does not have Linear Motors (LM) like the 50/3.5 and perhaps this makes it hunt a bit from time to time.

I cannot figure out why Fuji is not putting LM in the 30mm due out in a year. After using and liking LM Fuji GF lenses, I am not inclined to buy non-LM lenses any longer, but that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John_McMaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own.
    I am thinking the same (Leica M), or look at a mirrorless MF for my Noctilux/Summilux lenses....

john
    For what it counts, I took this very same decision two years ago.
    I used to have a Canon FF reflex system, but it never produced enough quality for my fine-art works (colours and resolution) and it was too big and heavy for my reportage/street work (ie a scary weapon pointed to people faces).
    So I got rid of it and moved "down" to Fujifilm X APS-C system (an X-T2 with prime lenses only) and "up" to Hasselblad MF digital (now with the addition of Cambo WDS).

Never regretted this decision so far. FF was just in a middle useless point for my personal needs. Happy that I realised this before getting too old, I'm happy like a baby now.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mristuccia;812143]
    Quote Originally Posted by John_McMaster View Post

For what it counts, I took this very same decision two years ago.
    I used to have a Canon FF reflex system, but it never produced enough quality for my fine-art works (colours and resolution) and it was too big and heavy for my reportage/street work (ie a scary weapon pointed to people faces).
    So I got rid of it and moved "down" to Fujifilm X APS-C system (an X-T2 with prime lenses only) and "up" to Hasselblad MF digital (now with the addition of Cambo WDS).

Never regretted this decision, I'm happy like a baby. FF is just in a middle useless point for my personal needs. Happy that I realised this before getting too old, I'm happy like a baby now.
    I had a Fuji X-T1 with a few lenses but never liked it. Size is what the M has to offer, M(240)+35/f1.4 and CCD Monochrom +50/2 APO (really like this) is what I often carry. If the S(007) can shoot it then that is what I use, the M(240) colours are too lacking. Not really liked the 50MP Sony sensor, so the Fuji 100MP or a Sony A7Riv are the only alternatives...

john
    used to be chiaroscuro_NZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm beginning to think I may not need (want) a system between APS-C and MF. Full Frame seems for me like the "sour spot". This is purely personal. Many great photographers on this site love the Nikon, Sony, PanaLeica, and Cannon mirrorless FF options. I'm close to getting rid of every FF camera and lens I own.
    I had this same journey. I shoot Fuji APS-C and Pentax MFD. I was really nervous about going to APS-C rather than FF (FOMO), but I have not regretted it. Actually, I have found it quite liberating.

It is just like the old joke about a conversation between a ballet dancer and photographer. Ballet dancer: I love your photographs. You must have a really great camera. Photographer: I love your dancing. You must have really great shoes...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Greg,

It all depends on preferred focal lengths you prefer shooting with for that chip - I was very interested in the R but I didn't like the way the 100/2 and 250 +TC balanced on it, both my original S version and now the GFX100 are better body mounts for longer lenses. If you are going to use tripods - there is no issue.

You may not like hearing this but as an ex Leica S shooter - I don't think you will see much practical difference in IQ between your S and the Fuji R in terms of IQ as far as output from chip goes. Certainly the viewfinder experience in the S is a class above in terms of clarity. In order to see an appreciable jump - you may have to go to 100MP in Fuji. However there is no doubt in my mind that the R will give as good IQ as your S at a lower per lens cost to play tariff - significantly lower, and you get the benefit of being able to use C1 if that is an issue for you.

As to weight issues - I feel no particular difference between any of the systems mentioned. What you might find is that the feel in hand of any Fuji is not Leica - this may or may not be an issue - I am quite sensitive to how something feels in hand and it is a big issue for me eg I am happy to be out of Leica M which feels heavy and clumsy to hold in my hand compared to SL/SL2 - and I can also get accurate focus every time with my fast M glass on an SL/SL2 - something which can't be said in all honesty (for me ) with M use - ironically the 21/24 lux|50 Noctilux and newer 75 and 90 Nocti's all balance better on an SL/SL2 body - but why bother when the APO Summicrons for L mount blow them all away - anyway I digress.

On a purely cost/benefit basis the R is an absolute bargain - compared to anything out there.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the posts above I can attest to the really high quality of the files which can easily be printed to 40 inches. Of course this depends on disciplines being used to acquire the shot but the potential is there. I think you'll be very happy with the obvious bargain price of the 50r. Have not shot with the 50mm but the 45, 63 and 110 are very good.....

All of this applies to my 50s but the 'R' is basically the same camera.

Just go for it.....

Cheers

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post

Here's the bag Mike mentioned. I got the idea from him and built an insert for my setup. Pics and description: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...tml#post810506

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Nice! Can you please share more pics of the combo in action.
    Sure. Here are a couple. It's a very versatile setup in terms of the lenses you can use. I am using Pentax 645 lenses mostly, but for some specialized tasks I use lenses like this Schneider Kreuznach Apo Digitar 80mm f/4. I even have a few enlarger lenses that work very well, in particular a Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6, which is a lovely lens and provides a ton of room for movements.

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your insight Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Greg,

It all depends on preferred focal lengths you prefer shooting with for that chip - I was very interested in the R but I didn't like the way the 100/2 and 250 +TC balanced on it, both my original S version and now the GFX100 are better body mounts for longer lenses. If you are going to use tripods - there is no issue.

You may not like hearing this but as an ex Leica S shooter - I don't think you will see much practical difference in IQ between your S and the Fuji R in terms of IQ as far as output from chip goes. Certainly the viewfinder experience in the S is a class above in terms of clarity. In order to see an appreciable jump - you may have to go to 100MP in Fuji. However there is no doubt in my mind that the R will give as good IQ as your S at a lower per lens cost to play tariff - significantly lower, and you get the benefit of being able to use C1 if that is an issue for you.

As to weight issues - I feel no particular difference between any of the systems mentioned. What you might find is that the feel in hand of any Fuji is not Leica - this may or may not be an issue - I am quite sensitive to how something feels in hand and it is a big issue for me eg I am happy to be out of Leica M which feels heavy and clumsy to hold in my hand compared to SL/SL2 - and I can also get accurate focus every time with my fast M glass on an SL/SL2 - something which can't be said in all honesty (for me ) with M use - ironically the 21/24 lux|50 Noctilux and newer 75 and 90 Nocti's all balance better on an SL/SL2 body - but why bother when the APO Summicrons for L mount blow them all away - anyway I digress.

On a purely cost/benefit basis the R is an absolute bargain - compared to anything out there.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Victor!

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Aside from the posts above I can attest to the really high quality of the files which can easily be printed to 40 inches. Of course this depends on disciplines being used to acquire the shot but the potential is there. I think you'll be very happy with the obvious bargain price of the 50r. Have not shot with the 50mm but the 45, 63 and 110 are very good.....

All of this applies to my 50s but the 'R' is basically the same camera.

Just go for it.....

Cheers

Victor

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Haag View Post
    Matt, my walk around camera is the Leica S, and I think I am ready for something lighter and more compact. I considered the Hasselblad X1D ll 50C, but price and inability to fit into my C1 workflow makes it an unlikely solution for me.

Greg,

The Fuji system isnt as light as the X1D, but its lighter than the S, and works extremely well with C1.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt! Yes, I like the compact aspect of the X1D but I prefer the price and vertical integration opportunity with the Fuji. The thought that if at some point I wanted to move away from the P1 back and into the GFX 100 or next gen of it and have the ability to swap glass between to 50 and 100 is appealing. Also, being able keep everything within C1 is a big plus.

Greg,

The Fuji system isnt as light as the X1D, but its lighter than the S, and works extremely well with C1.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

It's a very versatile setup in terms of the lenses you can use. I am using Pentax 645 lenses mostly, but for some specialized tasks I use lenses like this Schneider Kreuznach Apo Digitar 80mm f/4. ...
    Are you using any short focal length lenses?

I also looked with great interest and hope at the GFX 50R for use on my technical camera.
    Unfortunately, with GFX adapter the required flange distance ruled out Digaron-S 23mm and 35mm - two critical focal length. (Digaron-W 32mm would have worked but I don't have that lens (yet)).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Are you using any short focal length lenses?

I also looked with great interest and hope at the GFX 50R for use on my technical camera.
    Unfortunately, with GFX adapter the required flange distance ruled out Digaron-S 23mm and 35mm - two critical focal length. (Digaron-W 32mm would have worked but I don't have that lens (yet)).
    The widest I'm using is 35mm and that's with a retrofocus medium format lens (SMC Pentax-A 645 35mm f/3.5). Pentax makes/made a 25mm 645 lens, but this lens doesn't have an aperture ring. The aperture can be controlled by an adapter, but I'd have to build a new lens board to use it because I don't have that adapter on my current board. Thankfully (for my wallet) I find 35mm to be wide enough, because the Pentax 645 25mm lens is both rare and very expensive.

Something else to keep in mind is lens cast. I did try the widest technical camera lens I could mount on my GFX 50R and hit infinity (Rodenstock Grandagon 55mm). Lens cast problems showed up as soon as I shifted even a few mm. I'm not willing to have to remember to shoot a second frame through translucent plastic and then combine them with lens cast correction software, so I didn't go any further with that lens. As I understand it, all symmetrical (or near symmetrical) lenses will have lens cast issues when shifted on a GFR 50R; that's not personal experience talking -- just what I've read from people who've tried.

Post Thanks / Like

The widest I'm using is 35mm and that's with a retrofocus medium format lens ... Something else to keep in mind is lens cast. I did try the widest technical camera lens I could mount on my GFX 50R and hit infinity (Rodenstock Grandagon 55mm). Lens cast problems showed up as soon as I shifted even a few mm.
    Thanks for replying.

The GFX 50R uses an older, front-illuminated sensor while the GFX 100 already uses a more modern, back-illuminated sensor. Lens cast is apparently a no-issue for back-illuminated sensor. I was hoping for/holding out for a GFX 100R (or bite the bullet and get the current GFX 100).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying.

The GFX 50R uses an older, front-illuminated sensor while the GFX 100 already uses a more modern, back-illuminated sensor. Lens cast is apparently a no-issue for back-illuminated sensor. I was hoping for/holding out for a GFX 100R (or bite the bullet and get the current GFX 100).
    I read that somewhere too. That's definitely good news.

Perhaps fortunately (again, for the wallet!) I can't use a GFX 100 on my VX23D setup because of that big grip. If Fuji ever puts out a successor to the GFX 50R, I sincerely hope they'll keep the grip the way it is in the 50R. The trend definitely seems to be to bigger grips with each version (unfortunately for people using them like I do).

The FFD of the GFX system may make this all beside the point though for me. The modern wide angle tech camera lenses tend to have large rear element groups that won't work with a camera that has such a long FFD. For instance, I would get a lot of use out of a Rodenstock 40mm f/4 HR Digaron-W Lens, but according to my calculations the rear of the lens would be well inside the GFX sensor cavity if it could fit, which it can't because of the 56mm rear diameter of the rear lens group.

Post Thanks / Like

Rodenstock 40mm f/4 HR Digaron-W Lens, but according to my calculations the rear of the lens would be well inside the GFX sensor cavity.
    I checked the Rodenstock brochure. The flange focal distance of the Digaron-W 40mm is stated to be 69.5 mm. (Same for the Digaron-W 32mm)
    Linhof states that its GFX adapter will take 50mm of the flange focal distance.
    Assuming all GFX adapters require the same dimensions as the Linhof GFX adapter, would still have nearly 20mm bellow for any tilt-shift or stitching. Not a lot but maybe enough.
    Using a recessed lens board also would give more bellow space.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the Rodenstock brochure. The flange focal distance of the Digaron-W 40mm is stated to be 69.5 mm. (Same for the Digaron-W 32mm)
    Linhof states that its GFX adapter will take 50mm of the flange focal distance.
    Assuming all GFX adapters require the same dimensions as the Linhof GFX adapter, would still have nearly 20mm bellow for any tilt-shift or stitching. Not a lot but maybe enough.
    Using a recessed lens board also would give more bellow space.
    I'm using the same numbers. The problem in my case is the shape and position of the standards and the lens board design I'm using.

Here's a clip from my spreadsheet. Remember this is specifically for the Toyo VX23D using a Fuji GFX 50R with the camera board I built for this setup. It assumes I'm using the deepest Toyo lens board (recessed 27.5mm).

Bellows distance isn't the problem: there's lots to work with so I could have a full range of tilt, swing, rise/fall and shift. The deal breaker on my setup is the number in red, "Air space between lens rear and camera board". When that number is negative, the lens is past the face of the camera board and inside the mount spacer and/or the camera itself.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how this lens would work on any GFX setup because to reach infinity it has to be the same distance from the sensor as mine. The rear part of the lens is simply very big at 44.3mm!

https://ibb.co/KxHKQHK

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the same numbers. The problem in my case is the shape and position of the standards and the lens board design I'm using.

Here's a clip from my spreadsheet. [/url]
    Have a hard time to visualize from your spreadsheet.

Below is the drawing of the Techno Adapter for the Fuji GFX G-Mount from Linhof's website.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Techno Adapter für Fuji GFX G-Mount.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	147713

"Here at Fuji Adaption: X = 23.3 mm, Y = 26.7 mm, Z = 50.0 mm:

The flange focal distance of the Digaron-W 40mm is stated by Rodenstock to be 69.5 mm. (Same for the Digaron-W 32mm). This would leave about 20mm for the bellow when using a standard (non-recessed) lens board.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with spreadsheets that aren't meant to be shared! Try it alongside this diagram.

The problem on my setup is the value labelled "(i)" in the spreadsheet and this diagram. To reach infinity on a GFX 50R mounted to my Toyo, the rear of the lens, the part labelled (c), goes past the camera board (the green bar labelled (g), and is inside the camera. I have lots of room between the rear of the lens board and the front of the camera board (j).

https://ibb.co/DVJLWkr

Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of room between the rear of the lens board and the front of the camera board (j)
    If (j) is 20mm then you should be able to focus at infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

This site: https://www.laszlopusztai.net/2017/0...r-the-actus-g/
    has some clear illustrations of the clearance issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Greg: there is a thread addressing the GFX 50R and 50mm lens combination here:
    https://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/67...alf-price.html
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that the rear end of the lens is 44.3mm in length. When it's focused at infinity on my setup, distance (j) is 30.15mm. It won't come anything close to infinity on my camera unless the rear end is 14.15mm past the camera board (d), which puts it inside my camera. That would work if the rear lens barrel was narrow, but it's not; diameter is 56mm.

The widest tech camera lens I could get on this thing was the Grandagon 55/4. It was 3.75mm past the face of the camera board (so inside), but the rear barrel was only 27.5mm in diameter, so I could shift it a tiny bit. Unfortunately, the lens cast problem made it not worth the bother.

I sincerely hope your camera has a design that allows lenses like this to work for you. I'm out of luck.

If (j) is 20mm then you should be able to focus at infinity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The thing is that the rear end of the lens is 44.3mm in length. When it's focused at infinity on my setup, distance (j) is 30.15mm. It won't come anything close to infinity on my camera unless the rear end is 14.15mm past the camera board (d), which puts it inside my camera. That would work if the rear lens barrel was narrow, but it's not; diameter is 56mm.

The widest tech camera lens I could get on this thing was the Grandagon 55/4. It was 3.75mm past the face of the camera board (so inside), but the rear barrel was only 27.5mm in diameter, so I could shift it a tiny bit. Unfortunately, the lens cast problem made it not worth the bother.

I sincerely hope your camera has a design that allows lenses like this to work for you. I'm out of luck.

Yes, the 55mm is about as wide as you can get with a GFX body.

The nice thing about being a dealer is you have access to a lot of gear and can confirm any charts, formulas, etc, by grabbing the gear and seeing what it does.

No way that a 32HR lens focuses at infinity on a GFX body - not even on a Sony A7R. You can get about 5 inches in focus. But even then, that lens is backed all the way up against the sensor faceplate - yikes!

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7342 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	147714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7341 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	147715  
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid me. Flange focal length may be 69.2mm but flange-to-lens-end is 46.9mm, this means that there is only 22mm free space behind the lens element. Linhof states that its GFX adapter will take 50mm of flange focal distance. Hence, the rear element has to fit about 28mm inside the GXF adapter for this to work.

Rear barrel diameter of the Digaron-W 32mm and 40mm is stated to be 56mm, Fujifilm G-mount inner diameter is stated to be 65mm. However, I don't know the thickness of the adapter which in effect reduces the diameter of the actual opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This may be helpful.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	147717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	147718
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid me. Flange focal length may be 69.2mm but flange-to-lens-end is 46.9mm, this means that there is only 22mm free space behind the lens element. Linhof states that its GFX adapter will take 50mm of flange focal distance. Hence, the rear element has to fit about 28mm inside the GXF adapter for this to work.

Rear barrel diameter of the Digaron-W 32mm and 40mm is stated to be 56mm, Fujifilm G-mount inner diameter is stated to be 65mm. However, I don't know the thickness of the adapter which in effect reduces the diameter of the actual opening.
    It's not like this isn't complicated as can be, especially when you don't have access to the equipment to try it out! No worries at all.

Yes, the G-mount inner diameter is 65mm. But that only gets you part way in there. I'd estimate about 1 cm. The rest of the distance down to the sensor itself is given up to a rectangular baffle.

One also has to take into consideration the diameter of whatever you're using to mount the GFX to whatever attaches to the camera. The diameter of the adapter I'm using to provide a mount for the board I built has an inner diameter of 56mm, which creates a choke point before you even get down to the throat of the GFX camera itself.

I've simply avoided any lenses that had to be inside the sensor cavity. For that reason, it's retrofocus for wider than 60mm on my setup. That has yet to present a barrier to me making the photographs I want to make. But I can see how it would be a problem for someone who uses ultra-wide lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    This may be helpful.

Steve Hendrix/CI
    That's a very helpful table Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Yes, the 55mm is about as wide as you can get with a GFX body.
    Unless one does some custom work!

Maybe could mount a camera mounting plate directly onto the GFX body and machine away the G-mount for a wider cavity?

Maybe not worth now but when there will be a GFX 100R inexpensive enough!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread, is anyone successfully using the 50R on a Tech Cam with longer lenses (55mm and above) without LCC issues. I am thinking about replacing my P45+ with the Fuji on my Linhof Techno.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd like to try my GFX50R on my Sinar F2 4x5.
    Any thoughts, experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beards View Post
    Interesting thread, is anyone successfully using the 50R on a Tech Cam with longer lenses (55mm and above) without LCC issues. I am thinking about replacing my P45+ with the Fuji on my Linhof Techno.
    You bet. I haven't seen lens cast issues with anything 60mm or longer. It's really only the shorter symmetrical designs that are the problem.

I'm mostly using retrofocus lenses now for the convenience and consistency in results. They're all fine at every focal length. The exception is 120mm where I'm still using my delightful Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6. Even though I have a very good 120mm retrofocus prime (the SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm f/4 Macro), I prefer my Rodie 120 because it's just about as sharp as the Pentax at all distances (including infinity), and it has a huge image circle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    I'd like to try my GFX50R on my Sinar F2 4x5.
    Any thoughts, experiences?
    The Sinar F2 is a great camera for 4x5, but 4x5 film seems to be much more forgiving of minor misalignments. I don't think you will be happy. I tried it with my Toyo D45M, which is an excellent old view camera, very sturdy and precise. It wasn't capable of keeping everything as perfectly aligned as is needed for a 33x44mm sensor.

Update: Sometimes it's not that hard to jury-rig a way to try it for yourself. There's nothing like the empirical answer...
    Last edited by rdeloe; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Rdeloe, thanks for you thoughts. As I mainly use longer lenses I might give the Fuji a go as I could also use it off a tripod. Regarding the Sinar, I think it could have the precision needed for the digital with longer lenses as the cameras were so well made (I have an F1) No good for short focal lengths as the bellows would be too thick, however one might get away with bag bellows. Someone on here must have tried this for real.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beards View Post
    Rdeloe, thanks for you thoughts. As I mainly use longer lenses I might give the Fuji a go as I could also use it off a tripod. Regarding the Sinar, I think it could have the precision needed for the digital with longer lenses as the cameras were so well made (I have an F1) No good for short focal lengths as the bellows would be too thick, however one might get away with bag bellows. Someone on here must have tried this for real.
    Being able to use the Fuji off a tripod was part of my rationale too. I mostly work from a tripod, where a Toyo VX23D serves as my "adapter" for the Fuji and lenses. However, having the ability to use the Fuji off tripod with a Fuji GF lens is handy from time-to-time.

As for a Sinar F2 working with a digital back, I'm of the opinion that one should find out by trying. My philosophy is, "If it works, it works". Apart from the expense of buying or renting a GFX 50R, the next largest expense may well be the cost of fabricating a board to mount the camera. If one has access to a skilled machinist, that doesn't have to be very expensive.

To use a GFX 50R on my Toyo VX23D, I had a machinist cut a Fotodiox Pentax 645 to GFX adapter; this left me with the mount ring and 6.5mm of the tube. He then milled a 1.5mm rim into the edge of the tube on the side that mounts to the board. The milled rim of the mount part fit snugly into a hole in an aluminum plate. Four screws held it tight to the board. With this design, the milled rim carries the weight of the camera; the screws simply hold it all together.

I eventually replaced the aluminum plate with a 3D-printed plastic board. It took a couple tries to get a design that is sturdy enough, but 3D printing is a viable option too if one has access to the proper printer and filaments.