The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another Phase One countdown on their website. What now?

TheDude

it appears that in the medium format camera market there are only two stable companies; a large multinational (Fujifilm) and a family-owned (Leica)
For technical camera, Leica is no good because of the mirror the flange distance is too great, but Fujifilm GFX 100 is looking better the longer I think about it. Actually it is the only 44x33 camera with a back-illuminated sensor which is great for shifting and stitching (no color cast issues). And there are now Silvestri and Linhof adapters for mounting the Fujifilm GFX.

kdphotography

In a nutshell, I think the problem (and hence the resulting frustration and sarcasm here from IQ4 users about the silly countdown campaign) is that Phase One is taking the time/resources to develop campaigns to reach out to prospective "new" customers, but at the same time has done nothing or next to nothing to communicate or pass information about promised features/firmware/fixes to its current IQ4 user/client base. Adding insult to injury is that many, if not most, IQ4 users are longtime Phase One customers.

C'mon, Phase One. Just a few words of confidence, even if merely via your dealer network, to the residents of Dante's Inferno would go a long way. You could even post an IQ4 feature/firmware update countdown on your website. :scry:

Ken

Geoff

As to what's going on, who knows? A very rational, stable reasonable company shows signs of misdirection. Disconcerting. One thought is that the stabilizing top management was replaced with the new owners, and the "designers" and marketing folks are talking more directly, but without what one might call "senior leadership". Thus there is emphasis on making something new, the XT, which solves a design problem (lack of copal shutters, and suggests a better integrated solution) and market needs (lets go get all those young moneyed hobbyists, who want simpler operation than using clunky tech cameras), but misses a fundamental issue - that it requires significant upgrade of lenses to an expensive and a very small list (so far); isn't optimal with older lenses or backs; and costs a fortune. Not to mention that the emphasis should have been on the IQ4, which needs help. Remember existing customer base? In chasing after a new audience, they aren't quite looking after their faithful.

They have numbers we don't see - where their money comes from. Maybe its largely from software, with minor back sales needing a new platform. Seems odd - they have the digital back world pretty much to themselves (so far), and in the face of price pressure from below, it feels like they are encouraging folks to leave their system.

TheDude

Seems odd - they have the digital back world pretty much to themselves (so far)
Their only competitor, Hasselblad's H system, is also seeing little love from their well-heeled Chinese owner.

If they don't invest or show an interest in their hardware, the buying public should be hesitant to do likewise (unless severely discounted).

Wonder what's the future of the digital 645 format will be?

Craig Stocks

It does make me think the company is either teetering at the brink of bankruptcy or the new owners just aren’t making the return they want and aren’t willing to spend more to make things right. Either way they seem to be unable to move forward. Maybe some enterprising group of P1 back owners should form a consortium to buy controlling interest in the company.

Mexecutioner

It does make me think the company is either teetering at the brink of bankruptcy or the new owners just aren’t making the return they want and aren’t willing to spend more to make things right. Either way they seem to be unable to move forward. Maybe some enterprising group of P1 back owners should form a consortium to buy controlling interest in the company.
I’d rather spend my money buying an amusement park with bumping cars, a few cases of single malt, and then we can all go and release our frustrations.

For technical camera, Leica is no good because of the mirror the flange distance is too great, but Fujifilm GFX 100 is looking better the longer I think about it. Actually it is the only 44x33 camera with a back-illuminated sensor which is great for shifting and stitching (no color cast issues). And there are now Silvestri and Linhof adapters for mounting the Fujifilm GFX.
They have the HR Digaron S 5,6/23mm listed as being compatible with their Flexicam

https://www.silvestricamerashop.it/...meras/1217-fuji-gfx-adapter-for-flexicam.html

but that has to be a mistake right?

I thought all lenses below 60mm or thereabouts were no good?

TheDude

They have the HR Digaron S 5,6/23mm listed as being compatible with their Flexicam
The combination, Flexicam, Digaron-S 23mm, and Fuji GXF is not compatible.

The Digaron-S 23mm has an insufficient flange distance for use with the Fuji GXF.

Linhof's GXF adapter has 50mm between sensor and lensboard. I assume, similar for Silvestri's adapter. As far as I can tell, most Digaron lenses have an insufficient flange distance for not requiring their rear element inside the GXF adapter cavity, but their rear element is too large to fit!

P.S. But I wonder whether it would be possible to fixate a plain back adapter onto a GXF camera and then to machine away the G-mount for a larger and easier assessable cavity space inside the GXF camera for any rear lens element?
I assume, only a question of time before there will be a GXF 100R (with the 100MP sensor), which could make this a cost-efficient proposition.

Last edited:

DougDolde

Is anyone still buying Phase One backs after Fuji's $10K GFX100? You would have to have money to burn to pick P1 over Fuji and even then I doubt it would be a good decision.

Mexecutioner

Is anyone still buying Phase One backs after Fuji's $10K GFX100? You would have to have money to burn to pick P1 over Fuji and even then I doubt it would be a good decision.
Yes, not all of us are broke.

Even if it is a bad decision, it is still our decision.

Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug. You still here?

Some enjoy Phase One's digital backs for their capabilities with a technical camera. There really is not a substitute. The price-point of entry of the Fuji is one of its strong points, but that is far from the whole story or photographic journey in medium format digital. There are many choices and a lot of different price-points. I'm glad that there isn't a one-size fits all solution. That would be rather boring in the Inferno, no?

I hope you've grown tired of your Nikon DSLR. Have you tried the new Fuji GFX? It sounds like a solid re-entry in the Inferno for you.

I miss you, Doug.

--Dante

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Remember the translation rules of internet fora:

Company X must do Y to survive => I wish Company X would do Y
Only professionals do X => I do X
Only Hipster Posers use X => I can't afford X (See also Bankers, Doctors, Crazy people, etc.)
If Company X releases Camera Y for more than $Z, it will fail => I want Camera Y, but I probably can't justify $Z.
Company X is doomed since Company Y's new camera came out => I just bought Company Y's new camera.
Format X is vastly superior to Format Y => I just moved from Format Y to Format X (See also camera, lens, shoulder strap...)

Matt

dj may

Once upon a time, I heard a story about someone who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I heard many times, it is not wise to choose the lowest price.

Someone is reported to have said that one should buy the best that he/she can afford.

I have been known to say "price is irrelevant; value is what matters." This was both when I was buying and when I was selling.

Back to the program.

Gerd

...is something wrong with your eyesight?

Greetings Gerd

MrSmith

But does Phase One still offer value for money ? Thats the question
That depends on what you value.
If you desire 150mp images and value the ability to frame average at the push of a button (amount other features)then I would imagine phase is the ideal solution if you have the budget.

P1 doesn’t offer VFM for my business as at the end of the day there is no increase in ease of use or time saved on shoots. And fiscally it just doesn’t make sense when the £10-£30k saved by not jumping on that bandwagon can be spent on wine, mid century furniture, travel or just saved for a rainy day/retirement.

If clients want 150mp then hire and stick it on their bill.

If I was in the repro/cultural heritage business and had the volume to shoot I’m sure they would have my business, or if they released a product that suited my needs that wasn’t twice the price of the competition.

As you can see I apply logic not sentiment to purchasing so Dante has no hold over me.:D

Massive Si

That depends on what you value.
If you desire 150mp images and value the ability to frame average at the push of a button (amount other features)then I would imagine phase is the ideal solution if you have the budget.

P1 doesn’t offer VFM for my business as at the end of the day there is no increase in ease of use or time saved on shoots. And fiscally it just doesn’t make sense when the £10-£30k saved by not jumping on that bandwagon can be spent on wine, mid century furniture, travel or just saved for a rainy day/retirement.

If clients want 150mp then hire and stick it on their bill.

If I was in the repro/cultural heritage business and had the volume to shoot I’m sure they would have my business, or if they released a product that suited my needs that wasn’t twice the price of the competition.

As you can see I apply logic not sentiment to purchasing so Dante has no hold over me.:D
This is exactly my feeling

Phase had the ability to keep value in their range, even the IQ3, with firmware updates, but decide not to.