The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4150 Issues, Problems and bugs (Please add yours to the list)

vjbelle

Paul...... I just want to mention and thank you for continuing to harp about the poor focusing in live view. Anyone coming from a 3100 has to instantly see it..... and it's a major step backwards. It's not as bad as a GFX but it's nowhere near as good as a Sony who seem to have solved this issue in a camera 1/12 the price of a 4150. It's one thing to focus at a given target but quite another to see where the image goes in and out of focus so that you can gauge whether there is a front or rear focus bias. That, to me, is the most important aspect of focusing. It was rare for me to miss my focus with a 3100..... very different with the 4150 and a lot more work.

Focus, to me, is the first rule of a good image.

Maybe the next iteration with a $25,000 upgrade premium will solve this issue.....

Victor B

algrove

Paul...... I just want to mention and thank you for continuing to harp about the poor focusing in live view. Anyone coming from a 3100 has to instantly see it..... and it's a major step backwards. It's not as bad as a GFX but it's nowhere near as good as a Sony who seem to have solved this issue in a camera 1/12 the price of a 4150. It's one thing to focus at a given target but quite another to see where the image goes in and out of focus so that you can gauge whether there is a front or rear focus bias. That, to me, is the most important aspect of focusing. It was rare for me to miss my focus with a 3100..... very different with the 4150 and a lot more work.

Maybe the next iteration with a $25,000 upgrade premium will solve this issue.....

Victor B

No, 1/14th for the color and 1/15th for the Achromatic.:grin:

Paul2660

Victor B
Victor

Its been a complaint of mine since day one. Amazing that Phase can’t get the live view to be of the quality of the 3100, 350, 250, and 150.

Paul C

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Features that are Missing:

1. No adhoc wifi and Capture Pilot, enough said. Still amazing to me that nothing has been done for this. I still feel it's a tech package issue in that adhoc was left out of the design. I have been told this is not the case, but with wifi, most addressing issues are still hard wired to a card or board, so I am still curious to see why adhoc has not arrived. I guess since there is no support for Capure Pilot for the 4150, there is no need for adhoc, card leading or following the horse issue. For field use there is just no excuse for this. And please Phase One, don't blame it on the current iPad tech as the iPad has grown into a extremely powerful device, easily now capable of editing 4K video.
I think the problem with Capture Pilot is Phase has decided to roll out some new “powerful” version that allows far more than the previous version, for example putting features that are currently in Capture One that can be done at the time of shooting on a device.

And I assume there are many who might find this useful.

I’m afraid they don’t realize that a great many users are using it for just what it is ... Capture Pilot. All I need is the ability to see and focus the image, and make a few changes and take a shot. Capture Pilot had all the functionally I needed. I’m too busy when shooting to worry about anything other than capturing the data. All I need to know is if it’s sharp, and if I exposed correctly. Yes you can do all of this from the back, but there are times when the back isn’t clear enough, and often when the back isn’t viewable because it’s either too high or too low.

I wish they would have just made the the previous capture pilot work, or rolled out their “new” thing with limited functionality and then added the new stuff instead of making their customers wait two years to get what they had.

I just got back from Death Valley, and I did take my Cambo DS with the IQ4 150, only because I didn’t want to focus stack at Badwater. But I didn’t take my XF kit. Headed to Hawaii soon, and the Fuji will be with me. First trip to Hawaii since 2007 that I won’t have a Phase Kit with me. And it’s not weight, if I leave out the 240 (which I rarely use, to the point I’m going to sell it) the Phase and Fuji systems are almost identical in weight. The Fuji app isn’t great either, but at least it’s functional.

Paul2660

Wayne,

I also hope Phase manages to release something that just gives back the basics like Capture Pilot.

Personally, I would not want the ability to work on a raw from the 4150 on a iPad or similar device, as my workflow usually involves a lot of layers and masking, one of the great strengths of C1. I want to work on the image at home on a large screen.

I still wonder if an adhoc wifi solution is really even something that can be brought forward, since most wifi capability is hard wired to a board at build (comparing this to a PC). But Phase has been quiet on this since day one. They seemed to be much more focused on the ability to attach to a "real" network in a studio and seem to have given those users a great solution, but overlooking possibly the needs for field use. The other solution of attaching to a surface pro, via USB, is not really a solution for me as I don't want to carry the extra weight and the cable limits usability.

Paul C

I completely agree with Paul and Wayne. All that is needed is a Capture Pilot app that works with the IQ4150. All we need to do is check focus/exposure and change camera settings. We are not going to be editing 150 megapixel files in the field on an iPad. It could even be a proxy file that is sent to phone or tablet.

Henrik Håkonsson needs reassign the whole mobile app development team and license an app from a third party. Talking to Profoto about their app developer would be a great idea.

Something all of the Phase One employees and Axcel need to keep in mind is they may be majority stockholders but they are minority stakeholders. The endusers are the majority stakeholders, we hold the ultimate power on whether or not the company survives as a hardware/software company or just a software company. It might be wise for Phase One to reflect upon that.

Cheers,
Weldon

dchew

...Henrik Håkonsson needs reassign the whole mobile app development team and license an app from a third party. Talking to Profoto about their app developer would be a great idea...
Cheers,
Weldon
Yes, and reassign them to the firmware development team!
:thumbup:

Its fun being part of the Armchair Executive Management Team, but the compensation sucks.

Dave

I’ve been reflecting upon this thread for a while and I think a call to action is in order. All the marketing hype surrounding the IQ4150 was just that, hype. There does not appear to be any movement on the part of Phase One to fix any of these problems and/or bugs.

I’ve had some really good experiences with Phase One support but I think they lack the leverage to actually enact change. I’m going to list the people that do and I would encourage everyone reading this to reach out to to them. In a professional and courteous manner we as majority stakeholders must ask that these problems are fixed immediately. We also need to be kept informed of the progress on a regular basis.

Quick background on current Phase One management/ownership (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) Phase One is 60% employee owned and 40% owned by Axcel. Axcel acquired their share on June 17th, 2019 from Silverfleet Capital. (Change of ownership could be part of the problem.) The key people are Henrik Håkonsson, CEO of Phase One and Christian Bamberger Bro, Responsible Partner for Phase One at Axcel.

Henrik Håkonsson
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christian-bamberger-bro-5652a5?originalSubdomain=dk

Christian Bamberger Bro
Email: [email protected]
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/henrik-håkonsson-9b244435?originalSubdomain=dk

I firmly believe in a stakeholder rather than a shareholder company governance. Customers are the majority stakeholder in any business. Without them you don’t have a business. Phase One needs to understand their role and make the customers a priority.

If you do email either of these gentlemen please do so in an extremely polite manner. As they say, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

All the best,
Weldon

Pemihan

Quick background on current Phase One management/ownership (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) Phase One is 60% employee owned and 40% owned by Axcel. Axcel acquired their share on June 17th, 2019 from Silverfleet Capital. (Change of ownership could be part of the problem.) The key people are Henrik Håkonsson, CEO of Phase One and Christian Bamberger Bro, Responsible Partner for Phase One at Axcel.
According to this press release Axcel acquired the majority stake, by how much I don't know, maybe it's the other way around.
Axcel | Axcel invests in Phase One

onasj

Can a Phase One dealer please confirm if Phase One is even aware of and working on a fix for the “your ES captures randomly replace the top part of your frame with pure black” bug? (That’s #4 in Paul’s list below). It’s crazy that we have to choose between, for example, better live view and not having our frames randomly cropped by buggy firmware. Embarrassing. 🙄

alistairsimmons

From support: The non-capture of full frame is to do with a known issue with the IQ4 in ES mode. This is a known firmware issue and we are waiting for a fix from R+D. What happens is a black bar appears in the top of the image in ES mode. From our testing, it seems that it only appears if you wait a full 10-11 seconds after the initial 1st shot. Seems if you fire 2 shots closer together, the issue does not happen. So very odd, and our firmware guys are busy analysing the code to try to find the cause. This will be fixed.

Paul2660

Which is why I notice only with a tech camera use as with the XF, I can fire much faster.

Thanks for the info.

Paul C

dchew

My quick test of Dual Exposure + reminded me of another problem/bug/feature:

When in both Frame Averaging and Dual Exposure + modes, you cannot really tell if the ES button recognized the press. There is no programed delay countdown.

Dave

vjbelle

Yes Dave..... When I tried Dual Exposure for the first time I thought that the Back didn't accept my 'touch' so I gave it another quick touch and then the back went a little bizerk and never made the capture. The recognition delay of the press is something that hopefully will be fixed.....

Victor B

Boinger

Yes Dave..... When I tried Dual Exposure for the first time I thought that the Back didn't accept my 'touch' so I gave it another quick touch and then the back went a little bizerk and never made the capture. The recognition delay of the press is something that hopefully will be fixed.....

Victor B
Lol another one of those things that should never have made it into a tested firmware.

Paul2660

Scratch the Live view issues from the list.

With the latest firmware live view on the 4150 is now working like it did in previous Phase One CMOS products.

Paul C

alajuela

Hi

I would like the focus mask confirmation on the shot after taken (like the IQ3100), but still keep the focus peaking for manual focusing.

Thanks

Phil