The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One body exposure bracketing question

Paul2660

I just found out that the old 1ds and 1ds MKII actually can go to up to 7 exposure brackets, by the use of the personal functions settings. The camera defaults to 3. Does anyone know if Phase might have added a similar setting in the Phase One/AFD III body, in one of the custom functions that would allow a user to increase the exposure bracketing up from 3?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
But it's pretty easy to do manually if you are already on a tripod -- just change the mode to M and go as far up or down from -0- as you want.

Paul2660

That is how I have been doing it, but every once and a while I get just a tad of movement which throws off the HDR tool I am using now, as it doesn't have an alignment step.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Paul I sent this in as a request to Phase One. Hopefully we will see this either in a firmware upgrade or a new body. But I agree it would be a useful option to have

etrump

Paul I sent this in as a request to Phase One. Hopefully we will see this either in a firmware upgrade or a new body. But I agree it would be a useful option to have
Ask them to increase the bracket to at least 2 stops. Currently the max you can do is one stop.

carstenw

If you have CS4 or Photomatix Pro, you can use it just to generate the HDR file, and use your tool to do the tone mapping. That might get you around the slight movement problem. I think Photomatix Basic (freeware) might even do the HDR file:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html

Paul2660

The tool I am using is Tim Farr's and by design it will not use the output from either Photomatrix or Adobe. His tool set IMO is worth the extra effort.

I totally agree on the bracketing increase, I forgot you can only go 1 stop, which for HDR many times is worthless.

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

Here is the link to his site

http://www.farrarfocus.com/ffdd/license.htm

IMO his method is the best I have used and I have tried them all. Tim takes it back to the old darkroom something I can appreciate.

In the process, you create dng output then run his script. This creates a linear tiff that you then process with his action set. I have asked him for a step that runs an alignment process, but so far, he has not created one that I know of. You also may have problems running the actions with CS4, they will work fine with CS3.

Tim is a working photographer with his wife and they travel to shows quite a bit, if you email him it may take a few day for him to reply, but he will get back to you.

If you can figure out a way to align within his method, it would be great.

Paul Caldwell