The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Sonnar Lens Recommendation with Phase IQ4

Smoothjazz

I wanted to ask opinions on a longer lens to use with my Cambo technical camera with a Phase One IQ4 digital back. I now have the Zeiss/Hasselblad adapter to mount these lenses on the tech camera.
For a longer lens I was looking at either the Zeiss/Hasselblad 180mm 4.0 Sonnar T CF lens, or the 250mm 5.6 Sonnar T CF lens. Both would work, and have good reviews. In addition there is the SuperAchromat version for the 250mm lens. Some say the 250mm lenses are similar whether superachromat or standard type lens; would the IQ4 digital back discern a difference in optical qualtity?
Thanks for your input.

John

ErikKaffehr

I wanted to ask opinions on a longer lens to use with my Cambo technical camera with a Phase One IQ4 digital back. I now have the Zeiss/Hasselblad adapter to mount these lenses on the tech camera.
For a longer lens I was looking at either the Zeiss/Hasselblad 180mm 4.0 Sonnar T CF lens, or the 250mm 5.6 Sonnar T CF lens. Both would work, and have good reviews. In addition there is the SuperAchromat version for the 250mm lens. Some say the 250mm lenses are similar whether superachromat or standard type lens; would the IQ4 digital back discern a difference in optical qualtity?
Thanks for your input.

John
Hi,

I have the Sonnar 180, it is a good lens. The 250/5.6 is not a Sonnar but a Tessar, seeing Hasselblad's MTF data, I didn't buy it.

The Superachromat is said to be good.

I am pretty sure that the IQ 4 would show a difference.

Best regards
Erik

dchew

I use the 250 Superachromat with the IQ4 on an Alpa. Great lens out to about 100mm image circle.

Dave

jng

The 180/4 is excellent and the 250/5.6 Superachromat is superb, with no discernible CA and, as Dave mentions, an image circle that allows pretty generous shifts. I routinely stitch using +/- 15mm shifts - here's an example of such a stitched image shot on my Cambo + IQ3100 with the 250 SA:

https://jngai58.prodibi.com/a/dw5kz...=ppnPPTMojanWCejxuVQQWZtODLMdEbJGH66RoF6qEXE=

As Erik alludes to, the 250/5.6 Sonnar is not known to be the sharpest tool in the shed, although I have no personal experience with this lens.

John

Smoothjazz

Very nice photograph- great detail!

The 180/4 is excellent and the 250/5.6 Superachromat is superb, with no discernible CA and, as Dave mentions, an image circle that allows pretty generous shifts. I routinely stitch using +/- 15mm shifts - here's an example of such a stitched image shot on my Cambo + IQ3100 with the 250 SA:

https://jngai58.prodibi.com/a/dw5kz...=ppnPPTMojanWCejxuVQQWZtODLMdEbJGH66RoF6qEXE=

As Erik alludes to, the 250/5.6 Sonnar is not known to be the sharpest tool in the shed, although I have no personal experience with this lens.

John