The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best MF Body for Manual Focus lenses

rawlit

Hello,

what are the best Medium Format bodies to use with manual focus lenses?

Best: bright and big viewfinder, handle well, focus can easily be achieved with manual focus lenses and are compatible with a Mamiya/Phase One Digital Back

Note that I would use a IQ260 digital back and adapt Hasselblad V lenses (110/2, 50/2.8, 150/2.8) and Mamiya 80/1.9

Thank you
rawlit

https://500px.com/aguarino

Sarnian

what are the best Medium Format bodies to use with manual focus lenses?

Best: bright and big viewfinder, handle well, focus can easily be achieved with manual focus lenses
Stop there and get a Leica S (S2, 006, 007 or S3).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You have to think about limitations before starting to drool over cameras. Which cameras can those lenses be adapted to. Next, the focusing screen is often more important than the choice of camera. Third, are you sure the old Hasselblad lenses can rersolve to the pixel density of an IQ260?

If it were me, I would go for a Hasselblad V body and buy the best focusing screen money can buy... if that back will actually work with the Hassy. I have no idea.

As a rule of thumb, focusing at large apertures, I prefer a WLF with a loupe. The WLFs where you can see past the loupe to compose are perfect. At smaller apertures... choose mirrorless and peaking. It's not the most accurate, but great for speed.

Me? I would get a Mamiya or P1 body and the 80/1.9. It's a very charming lens, and surprisingly sharp. Now I use GX680 and film. Only native and large format lenses will fit :cool:

rawlit

You have to think about limitations before starting to drool over cameras. Which cameras can those lenses be adapted to. Next, the focusing screen is often more important than the choice of camera. Third, are you sure the old Hasselblad lenses can rersolve to the pixel density of an IQ260?

If it were me, I would go for a Hasselblad V body and buy the best focusing screen money can buy... if that back will actually work with the Hassy. I have no idea.

As a rule of thumb, focusing at large apertures, I prefer a WLF with a loupe. The WLFs where you can see past the loupe to compose are perfect. At smaller apertures... choose mirrorless and peaking. It's not the most accurate, but great for speed.

Me? I would get a Mamiya or P1 body and the 80/1.9. It's a very charming lens, and surprisingly sharp. Now I use GX680 and film. Only native and large format lenses will fit :cool:
Thanks Jorgen,

What P1 or Mamiya camera have clearest and brightest view finder for pin sharp focus with manual lenses wide open?

Note, I would mostly use this camera for portrait work with fast adapted glass

Alex

anwarp

I used to use the focusing screen from an older manual focus mamiya 645 in my DF+ with very good results. I have a few manual focus lenses. It was the one with the split prism and 2 micro-prism collars around it.

I now use an Intenscreen by beattie (for Mamiya 645) with my XF. It's easier to use with the 80 1.9 and the 200 2.8 APO compared to the stock screen.

You may need to calibrate the focusing screen though to be able to focus accurately. You should be able to use the hasselblad adaptor on an older Mamiya DF or DF+ body without any issues (I have no experience with it though)

I picked up the screens from ebay a while ago.

Hope that helps.

Anwar