The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S3

Giorgio

We all have our reasons for shooting an S camera with Leica lenses specifically designed for this platform.

Personally, I photograph people almost exclusively.

I use the S 006 if I can light the scene and do not need to employ follow focus.

I shoot a DSLR for the rest.

For my interests and uses the Leica S fits into a vacancy that the small camera cannot fill.

Sample, https://issuu.com/dailyfrontrow/docs/dailysummer_07142015

The sample images were all shot with the S 006.

The S3 (indeed any new Leica) will never be capable of doing what I need when people are moving fast, the DSLR will never give me the color I want.

Well if you have or are investing in a half dozen lenses that average about $7K each ....you might hope that newer generations after the S3 might keep your lenses relevant . :facesmack:
The 007 was introduced at Photokina 2014, and there was never any promise of another S.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The 007 was introduced at Photokina 2014, and there was never any promise of another S.
Thats a real stretch for an argument ? The question was why would you care ? And I responded because I have invested in a bunch of there lenses and hope to continue using them on improving cameras .

I am not expecting that Leica owes us another S and my expectation is that the S3 with be the last ..at least with an OVF . Having a bunch of great lenses ...I hope the S3 is an overwhelming success and that Leica will choose to develop and sell an S4.

Its pretty obvious that Leica lacks real commitment to the S product line ...so in all likely I expect they will build a few small limited edition runs and call it a day . .

Thats a real stretch for an argument ? The question was why would you care ? And I responded because I have invested in a bunch of there lenses and hope to continue using them on improving cameras .

I am not expecting that Leica owes us another S and my expectation is that the S3 with be the last ..at least with an OVF . Having a bunch of great lenses ...I hope the S3 is an overwhelming success and that Leica will choose to develop and sell an S4.

Its pretty obvious that Leica lacks real commitment to the S product line ...so in all likely I expect they will build a few small limited edition runs and call it a day . .
Roger, I was just responding to the idea that the S3 might be the last S. If so, so what? Does that mean that we who have invested in S lenses say no to the S3? Sure, we'd all like to see a future S down the line, but does that anything to do with our buying decisions today? I've put in my own preorder for an S3. If it's the last S, so be it. You only live once. Sometimes camera systems do too.

dave.gt

The past is gone and the future does not exist. But those lucky few who obtain the S3 will no doubt have a fine system that will be around for a long time.:thumbs:

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
As long as it does this, I'll be happy with the 007. If The S3 is better *enough* and I get a good *enough* trade-in, I might upgrade. But this morning's snapshot is fine:

Matt

(The Fuji GFX 100 versions, taken seconds later, are in the Fun with MF Images thread.)

Last edited:

dj may

Which did you prefer - S or GFX?

As long as it does this, I'll be happy with the 007. If The S3 is better *enough* and I get a good *enough* trade-in, I might upgrade. But this morning's snapshot is fine:

Matt

(The Fuji GFX 100 versions, taken seconds later, are in the Fun with MF Images thread.)

Paratom

Matt

SO you run both systems side by side? Which would you use for which purpose?

Steve Hendrix

Matt

Nice, Matt.

I've looked at both, and I prefer the Leica shot.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
SO you run both systems side by side? Which would you use for which purpose?
Which did you prefer - S or GFX?
I do run both systems. I've mostly used the Fuji since I acquired it. After the S, its lenses seemed free :grin:. There are things it does at the long end that the S can't touch. The 100-200 stabilized zoom is easy to focus, and is extremely sharp. The 250 and 1.4x have no parallel in the S world - fast, stabilized AF. Stabilization isn't (for me) for the photo. It's for magnified manual focusing. AF is good, but not so perfect that manual adjustment isn't needed. High ISO will fix the shutter speed problem, but it's no help with a shaky magnified manual focus. At the wider end, the 23mm is very sharp, and the 17mm Laowa is a blast, but here the S excels. The S24mm has a character that I love. Actually almost every S lens is the best available (for me) at their focal lengths. I am not comparing to Phase One gear, as I'm not familiar with it, or tech camera lenses as their use case differs so much.

I have the Fuji 110/2 and 120/4 macro, and never use them. The S100/2 and S120/2.5 macro make me happier. Disclaimer, I almost never shoot portraits, so things like face and eye detect, I'm no doubt undervaluing. If someone told me I had to take a portrait, I'd grab the Fuji and 110/2. Or an X-H1 and 56/1.2 or 50/2 :cool:

Color - The Fuji in Capture One is very good. The S is relegated to Adobe, and sometimes the blue sky is a bit cyan. For other landscape and skin tones, I'll take the S.

tl;dr - Chance of getting the shot is always better with the GFX 100. Resolution is usually better, but that almost never matters. If I *can* use the S, I prefer it.

Sorry for rambling. If anyone has a specific use case question, I'm happy to compare.

Matt

Nice, Matt.

I've looked at both, and I prefer the Leica shot.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I see we agree. :D

Last edited: