Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

I was feeling a little under the weather yesterday—up too early, not enough sleep, couldn't get back to sleep, etc—but after a nap in the late afternoon I felt a lot better and went for a good long walk. I decided to carry the 907x plus XCD21 lens on a first walk outing.

For this purpose, I fitted a set of Peak Design anchors and a PD Leash. Set up like this, the 907x hangs nose down compactly and comfortably, just like the 500CM does, with the strap worn in a cross body configuration and adjusted to the right length. It's easy to grasp the camera by the lens with the left hand and flip it up to make an exposure, and (just like with the 500CM) the only slow down is to flip the screen out for waist-level viewing. I was wearing a set of bicycle gloves for the walk with smartphone-enabling pads in the two index fingers: working the camera's controls through the touch screen or with the button and control dial was no problem at all, and I never found a situation where I couldn't see adequately well enough to frame and select a focus point (although I did miss the focus point setting on a few photos ... my fault!). I walked briskly for about 2.5 miles/an hour or so, stopping occasionally to make a photograph: the 907x never became too heavy or "in the way".

Very pleasing! And I imagine that, when the 45P arrives, it will be even nicer since that lens is a quarter the size and weight of the 21mm.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the forty six exposures I made on my walk with the 907x yesterday.

Spiral Art - Santa Clara 2020
    Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4 lens
    ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/125

While I've done these sorts of photos with the Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm and found them successful and satisfying, I have to say the 907x + 21mm takes them to a different level in detail and tonal qualities.

I'll suspect I'll try more people oriented street shooting when the 45mm lens arrives.

enjoy!
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

907X - mOOn cAmerA - 90mm Leica Macro Elmar, not in Macro - Multiple Exposure

I guess it's just you and I Godfrey...Are we the only ones with this camera or are we the only two who post? Keep them coming I like your Walk-About's, this came from mine today...

Ionosphere
    by tOny endieveri, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering if they are shipping this camera. HB is a strange company which does not seem to care about the communication with the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtakeda View Post
    I am wondering if they are shipping this camera. HB is a strange company which does not seem to care about the communication with the market.
    From the examples posted here it seems like they are.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely photo, Tony!

These are two more from the walk the day before yesterday:

Flowers and Leaves – Santa Clara 2020
    Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
    ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/90

Semi-Hidden – Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/60

In answer to the question of whether Hasselblad is shipping this camera: Well, of course, yes; otherwise I wouldn't have one. But there's a little thing happening all around the world kinda getting in the way of further shipments just at the moment...

enjoy!
    G
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Europe a lot of companies paused their production lines - might be just the same also for Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Godfrey;815507]

Flowers and Leaves – Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/90

delicate colors, clarity and resolution!, and handheld, I guess?
    thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    delicate colors, clarity and resolution!, and handheld, I guess?
    thorkil
    Thank you! Yes, hand-held.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more photos from The Walk the other day ...

Cone & Fence

All Visitors, No Parking

The Tree at 1818

Convergent Alternatives

The Tree Behind The Stores

Locked Gate

Tested Brick Wall

Most taken at ISO 400 @ f/8 @ about 1/100 second.

enjoy!
    G
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting how you seem to get a "normal" viewpoint using the 21mm lens on the Hassy. Nicely done!
    www.gigi-photos.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Interesting how you seem to get a "normal" viewpoint using the 21mm lens on the Hassy. Nicely done!
    Thank you for the compliment!

Like the SWC's Biogon 38mm before it, the XCD 21 nets this very extreme angle of view without excessive distortion and with stunning corner to corner resolution. The key to keeping a "normal" look to the photos with these extreme angle of view objectives is becoming very sensitive to the plane of the subject matter and the plane of the sensor ... they MUST be very close to perfectly parallel or "wide angle distortion" ... aka: foreshortening ... becomes the dominant visual cue. The other part of wide angle distortion—the transformation of circles into ovoid shapes as they move off the optical axis—is also nicely controlled with minimal smearing and other artifacts in this lens.

These imaging factors together with the "little box with a lens on it" feel make me happy that I parted with the money for this one. It is a true digital successor to the SWC: I'm delighted to be able to own and use it!

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Like the SWC's Biogon 38mm before it, the XCD 21 nets this very extreme angle of view without excessive distortion and with stunning corner to corner resolution. The key to keeping a "normal" look to the photos with these extreme angle of view objectives is becoming very sensitive to the plane of the subject matter and the plane of the sensor ... they MUST be very close to perfectly parallel or "wide angle distortion" ... aka: foreshortening ... becomes the dominant visual cue. The other part of wide angle distortion—the transformation of circles into ovoid shapes as they move off the optical axis—is also nicely controlled with minimal smearing and other artifacts in this lens.

These imaging factors together with the "little box with a lens on it" feel make me happy that I parted with the money for this one. It is a true digital successor to the SWC: I'm delighted to be able to own and use it!

G
    Agree fully, but there is something else going on here: the images avoid the extreme prominence of the foreground so often the problem with superwides. It’s very interesting. Kudos.
    www.gigi-photos.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G
    Very nice indeed Godfrey. Did you shoot with the camera in 1:1 crop mode?
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Very nice indeed Godfrey. Did you shoot with the camera in 1:1 crop mode?
    Yes: I've so far almost always left the display in 1:1 proportion mode. When I fit the back on my 500CM, I found the matte-fresnel focusing screen with the SuperSlide crop lines is an almost exact match to the 33x33 format of the sensor as well. The nice part about this is that when I bring the raw files into Lightroom, if I was a little off on the framing in the horizontal dimension, I have some re-framing options available.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Yes: I've so far almost always left the display in 1:1 proportion mode. When I fit the back on my 500CM, I found the matte-fresnel focusing screen with the SuperSlide crop lines is an almost exact match to the 33x33 format of the sensor as well. The nice part about this is that when I bring the raw files into Lightroom, if I was a little off on the framing in the horizontal dimension, I have some re-framing options available.

G
    I know when I tried shooting the CFV50c in square mode, it does not actually crop the raw file, just the screen shows what the composition can look like. So I do not use it, as I can crop later in post without needing the screen crop.

The 21mm lens looks nice after cropping.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I know when I tried shooting the CFV50c in square mode, it does not actually crop the raw file, just the screen shows what the composition can look like. So I do not use it, as I can crop later in post without needing the screen crop.

The 21mm lens looks nice after cropping.
    Yes: I use the square cropping on the 907x's LCD as a framing aid, nothing more. It is identical to the default 1:1 crop that I apply in LR as part of my "on import" defaults for the CFVII 50c back and 907x, so what I thought I framed is the same as what I see immediately after import into LR. I can change it at any time to the full 33x44 format by simply resetting the Crop tool for a given exposure (or across as many exposures as I deem appropriate, of course).

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may end up selling my 907X/CFV II 50C Special Edition simply because I don't anticipate having any opportunities to use it anytime soon (and I didn't buy it as a "collector"). If anyone is interested in it, please contact me.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I may end up selling my 907X/CFV II 50C Special Edition simply because I don't anticipate having any opportunities to use it anytime soon (and I didn't buy it as a "collector"). If anyone is interested in it, please contact me.
    ? Why aren't you using it?

---
    Yesterday, I fitted the CFVII 50c to the Hasselblad 500CM and spent time working with the 120, 80, and 50 mm lenses, practicing focus and testing exposure settings using the camera in its standard mode (that is, not using the Live View and eShutter). The ISO calibration of the sensor is close to spot on: My tri-tone target images the expected three peaks on the histogram spaced as expected to within 0.3 EV of the settings suggested by my incident light meter.

I practiced focusing with both the matte fresnel screen and with the 45° split image screen. The latter makes focusing 50mm lens much more reliable, is a toss up with the 50mm lens, and the former works better with the 120mm lens. I completely forgot to pull out the Sonnar 150mm and test that too, but I suspect it will be the same as with the 120mm. With a little practice, I could hit critical focus wide open with all three lenses pretty consistently using the split-image, so I'll leave that in the camera and go for a walk with the 80mm soon.

Lamp - 120mm
    Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Makro-Planar 120mm f/4
    ISO 200 @ f/4 @ EV 6

Lamp - 80mm
    Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8
    ISO 200 @ f/2.8 @ EV 6

Swapping to the magnifying chimney hood makes critical focus a snap with either screen and all three lenses. Putting the camera on a tripod with close-range subject also makes critical focus much more consistent and reliable with all three lenses...

I played with the self timer on the 80mm lens to nab a photo of myself as part of my focusing test. I used the bicycle seat to get an accurate focusing target, then released the shutter with self-timer, and positioned myself in the frame. This was the first time I'd ever used the mechanical self timer on the Hasselblad 500CM! LOL! I learned that I had to use a locking cable release to hold the body shutter open until the lens shutter completed its cycle, and then release the lock for the body shutter to close and the digital back to complete the capture. It took a few tries to get a sharp picture, mostly because I found it hard to stand still for the required half-second exposure at ISO 200. I upped the ISO to 1600 and obtained a satisfactory result...

Self-Portrait - 80mm + self timer
    ISO 1600 @ f/2.8 @ EV 9

Fun stuff! I learned a lot that will be useful to using the 500CM with the CFVII 50c. It really is easy to use this setup, and a lot easier to nab a sharp capture if you stop down two stops too!

enjoy,
    G
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe
    Godfrey, the answer to that question is more complicated than I'd care to get into on the forum. The primary reason is that the COVID-19 crisis is keeping me at home 99% of the time, except for limited trips to the grocery or pharmacy. The stay-at-home order continues until May in North Carolina and may be extended. Since I'm in a demographic (age, pre-existing conditions, ethnicity) that's particularly vulnerable to the virus, I expect my travel will be severely limited for an extended period of time, possibly a year or more. Second, my main photographic interest is landscapes. I don't have a studio nor do I enjoy macro, street or portrait photography. Landscapes would have been the subjects for the 907X/CFV II 50C. Finally, this crisis has reminded me of the continued need for life simplification, i.e., reducing the amount of stuff that I have a tendency to accumulate in a short span of time. I don't need the Hasselblad Special Edition and it's pretty cool to own one. But why own a Ferrari if you can't get it out of the garage? That's more than you wanted to know and less than a full account of my thinking. Stay safe and be well.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, the answer to that question is more complicated than I'd care to get into on the forum. The primary reason is that the COVID-19 crisis is keeping me at home 99% of the time, except for limited trips to the grocery or pharmacy. The stay-at-home order continues until May in North Carolina and may be extended. Since I'm in a demographic (age, pre-existing conditions, ethnicity) that's particularly vulnerable to the virus, I expect my travel will be severely limited for an extended period of time, possibly a year or more. Second, my main photographic interest is landscapes. I don't have a studio nor do I enjoy macro, street or portrait photography. Landscapes would have been the subjects for the 907X/CFV II 50C. Finally, this crisis has reminded me of the continued need for life simplification, i.e., reducing the amount of stuff that I have a tendency to accumulate in a short span of time. I don't need the Hasselblad Special Edition and it's pretty cool to own one. But why own a Ferrari if you can't get it out of the garage? That's more than you wanted to know and less than a full account of my thinking. Stay safe and be well.

Joe
    Oh, I understand ... I have a tonne of equipment, but I don't generally feel the need to simplify or off it unless it's not being used AND is very valuable ... most of what I have is piddling value at this point.

As to the "why own a Ferrari if you can't get it out of the garage" notion ... Well, that's particularly amusing since the practical, real life truth is that most such exotic cars are rarely driven much at all. The owners keep them cosseted and coddled like Faberge Eggs, transporting them to exhibitions and meets, and swapping them like so much large-scale jewelry. It's rare that one ever gets used in anything like the way it was designed to be. LOL!!

Personally, for me, I just see the 907x and its back as a camera, and the back extends the use of my existing cameras, actually makes me use them more because what's been limiting my use for the past several years is that processing and scanning and managing film is not something I want to do/have much time or patience for nowadays. I can see that if your primary thrust is landscape photography and your ability to travel is going to be limited for a bit, it can be a bit frustrating. But that's when I just start testing and teaching myself more about the equipment, more about technique, and plan what new things I can do with the knowledge when the time comes.

If I already owned a couple of cameras with similar capability, I might think "yeah, I don't really need it and it's a lot of resources locked up in one thing" ... but that's not my personal situation. I'm happy to just put it to use even for things that, truthfully, some of the other cameras do better. Just to see what I can get out of it that's different..

G

Post Thanks / Like

907X
    I hope this phOtO Walk Alone has a calming effect on some...
    This will soon be over and Life will hopefully get back to normal.

Walk Alone
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Yesterday, I fitted the CFVII 50c to the Hasselblad 500CM and spent time working with the 120, 80, and 50 mm lenses, practicing focus and testing exposure settings using the camera in its standard mode (that is, not using the Live View and eShutter). The ISO calibration of the sensor is close to spot on: My tri-tone target images the expected three peaks on the histogram spaced as expected to within 0.3 EV of the settings suggested by my incident light meter.

I practiced focusing with both the matte fresnel screen and with the 45° split image screen. The latter makes focusing 50mm lens much more reliable, is a toss up with the 50mm lens, and the former works better with the 120mm lens. I completely forgot to pull out the Sonnar 150mm and test that too, but I suspect it will be the same as with the 120mm. With a little practice, I could hit critical focus wide open with all three lenses pretty consistently using the split-image, so I'll leave that in the camera and go for a walk with the 80mm soon.

Lamp - 120mm
    Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Makro-Planar 120mm f/4
    ISO 200 @ f/4 @ EV 6

Lamp - 80mm
    ISO 200 @ f/2.8 @ EV 6

Swapping to the magnifying chimney hood makes critical focus a snap with either screen and all three lenses. Putting the camera on a tripod with close-range subject also makes critical focus much more consistent and reliable with all three lenses...

I played with the self timer on the 80mm lens to nab a photo of myself as part of my focusing test. I used the bicycle seat to get an accurate focusing target, then released the shutter with self-timer, and positioned myself in the frame. This was the first time I'd ever used the mechanical self timer on the Hasselblad 500CM! LOL! I learned that I had to use a locking cable release to hold the body shutter open until the lens shutter completed its cycle, and then release the lock for the body shutter to close and the digital back to complete the capture. It took a few tries to get a sharp picture, mostly because I found it hard to stand still for the required half-second exposure at ISO 200. I upped the ISO to 1600 and obtained a satisfactory result...

Self-Portrait - 80mm + self timer
    ISO 1600 @ f/2.8 @ EV 9

Fun stuff! I learned a lot that will be useful to using the 500CM with the CFVII 50c. It really is easy to use this setup, and a lot easier to nab a sharp capture if you stop down two stops too!

enjoy,
    G
    Thanks for the posts on your experiences. Still on the fence about the 907x until I see more about how the back works with 500 film bodies. So, your posts are very helpful. I had put in a request for a demo prior to the pandemic, but...

Post Thanks / Like

907X - mOOn cAmerA - XCD 65mm - Optical Entanglement

Going Down

Going Up
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DK Miles View Post
    Thanks for the posts on your experiences. Still on the fence about the 907x until I see more about how the back works with 500 film bodies. So, your posts are very helpful. I had put in a request for a demo prior to the pandemic, but...
    You're welcome! The CFVII 50c works beautifully with the 500CM body. In the simplest methodology, you just throw the back onto the camera and it recognizes the camera immediately. You then go about shooting as you normally would, minding the format reduction (about the same format as a SuperSlide if you go to a square). I find that if I want the native FoV of 80mm on film, switching to the 50mm nets about the same thing on the digital back. The diagonal split-image focusing screen gives the best results for me with the 50 and 80, a plain matte-fresnel screen gives better results with the 120 and 150 mm lenses.

For the best critical focusing, you set the back to use electronic shutter. Then open the lens and shutter by setting B and releasing the shutter, flipping the locking lever to hold it open. Now press the Live View button on the LCD and you can see exactly what you're going to capture on the LCD. Double tap it for focus assist magnification and critical focus. In eshutter operation, you make your exposures by pressing a button on the lcd or using the back's remote release.

IME, it works very well for most of what I'd shoot with a Hasselblad ... The exposure readings I made with ISO @ aperture @ shutter or ISO @ EV using my Sekonic L358 in incident mode were right on the money, or at least well within the normal range of variability that I expect when using an incident reading to determine proper exposure (most of which have to do with metering technique, nothing about the meter itself or the camera!).

I'm very happy that I went the distance to buy the 907x Special Edition and feel incredibly lucky to have it early in the game, during this plague crisis. There's plenty to learn and practice with it and with the back used on my 500CM while I plan more extensive photo outings. I do want an XCD 45mm lens for it as well as the 21mm, when the time comes and Hasselblad is shipping them again.

G
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For the best critical focusing, you set the back to use electronic shutter. Then open the lens and shutter by setting B and releasing the shutter, flipping the locking lever to hold it open. Now press the Live View button on the LCD and you can see exactly what you're going to capture on the LCD. Double tap it for focus assist magnification and critical focus. In eshutter operation, you make your exposures by pressing a button on the lcd or using the back's remote release.
    Unless your 500 series body is of the newest generation, the 501cm and/or 503cw where Hasselblad removed the locking level at the shutter button. If so, you must use a locking shutter release cable to keep the lens/shutter open. I do this on my 501cm to focus via Live View. This is why I need to use a tripod to focus, but you can get use to it quickly if you shoot your Hasselblad often.

Thank you Godfrey for sharing your experiences and wonderful images with us Hasselblad users.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    website | blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is lovely.

Anyone who's going to make caustic comments about the commemorative sticker on the camera goes on my ignore list. I'm an ex-NASA person, I don't even want to see such dunderheads.

G
    You could always replace the sticker with "Over the moon - since 2020" :-).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    You could always replace the sticker with "Over the moon - since 2020" :-).
    Is that not cosmetic modification? I dont think Godfrey will make any changes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Unless your 500 series body is of the newest generation, the 501cm and/or 503cw where Hasselblad removed the locking level at the shutter button. If so, you must use a locking shutter release cable to keep the lens/shutter open. I do this on my 501cm to focus via Live View. This is why I need to use a tripod to focus, but you can get use to it quickly if you shoot your Hasselblad often.

Thank you Godfrey for sharing your experiences and wonderful images with us Hasselblad users.
    Thank you, Darr.
    I was specific with my comments to the 500CM since I have no experience with any of the later 500 series bodies. Your thoughts are very useful information where I lack insight!

G

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. I currently shoot film on my 2000FCW and understand there are compatibility issues and other limitations with the CFV II back. I’m thinking to get a 500 series body to pair with a CFV II back so I can use my CF lenses, but am I right in thinking that another option would be to get the 907x with an adapter instead of a 500 series body? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of one set up over the other? Thanks so much for any guidance you can give me!

Post Thanks / Like

907X - XCD 65mm - No Life-Still Life

Laboratory Experiment
    With all the recent down time I've had, I'll just say it has given me the needed push to get caught up on...

No Life - Still Life
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Five more walk photos with the 907x + XCD 21mm f/4 lens ...

Green Leaves - Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

Tree, Bark, Path, Light - Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/1250

White Fence - Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/320

Waste Gate - Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/250

Back Door El Paloma - Santa Clara 2020
    ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250

Enjoy!

G
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

If anyone is looking for an L Bracket to better handle a portrait orientation and to mount a cold shoe, the PEAK DESIGN ELLIE PD SHORT works perfectly!

Name:  Apr 23 2020DSCF0185 23 mm2Apr 23 2020.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  254.2 KB
    Name:  Apr 23 2020DSCF0200 23 mm8Apr 23 2020.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  175.3 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apr 24 202094143964_10157059119011269_1167134101145124864_o Apr 24 2020.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	149091
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apr 24 202094178529_10157059119131269_1445243588727275520_o Apr 24 2020.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	149092
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopgunCameras1 View Post
    Hello!

If anyone is looking for an L Bracket to better handle a portrait orientation and to mount a cold shoe, the PEAK DESIGN ELLIE PD SHORT works perfectly!
    I can't seem to find this on the PD website. Do you have a link?
    I have an Acratech Universal L Bracket #1138 that works well for the L-bracket capability, albeit it's a bit bulky.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I am completely new to the hasselblad system. Never shot film that wasn’t out of a disposable (digital took over when I was in high school).

I am very interested in a 503cw body, and mounting the cfv ii 50c. Is there anyway to link the shutter on the 503cw/lens to the digital back? Or is it required to keep the shutter open and use the electronic shutter on the CFV?

If I mount an older phase one digital back on the 503cw, is it the same issue that you must use the eShutter? My ideal set up would be to use the shutter on the 503 to trigger some sort of digital back, and also purchase some film to try out with an a12 back.

Thanks for the advice, forum gurus.

You're welcome! The CFVII 50c works beautifully with the 500CM body. In the simplest methodology, you just throw the back onto the camera and it recognizes the camera immediately. You then go about shooting as you normally would, minding the format reduction (about the same format as a SuperSlide if you go to a square). I find that if I want the native FoV of 80mm on film, switching to the 50mm nets about the same thing on the digital back. The diagonal split-image focusing screen gives the best results for me with the 50 and 80, a plain matte-fresnel screen gives better results with the 120 and 150 mm lenses.

IME, it works very well for most of what I'd shoot with a Hasselblad ... The exposure readings I made with ISO @ aperture @ shutter or ISO @ EV using my Sekonic L358 in incident mode were right on the money, or at least well within the normal range of variability that I expect when using an incident reading to determine proper exposure (most of which have to do with metering technique, nothing about the meter itself or the camera!).

I'm very happy that I went the distance to buy the 907x Special Edition and feel incredibly lucky to have it early in the game, during this plague crisis. There's plenty to learn and practice with it and with the back used on my 500CM while I plan more extensive photo outings. I do want an XCD 45mm lens for it as well as the 21mm, when the time comes and Hasselblad is shipping them again.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't seem to find this on the PD website. Do you have a link?
    I have an Acratech Universal L Bracket #1138 that works well for the L-bracket capability, albeit it's a bit bulky.

G
    It's from 3 Legged Thing, but compatible with the Capture Clip from Peak Design.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...universal.html
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try out this Waist Level Finder to try to mimic an EVF. I'll report back when I receive it and have a chance to use it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYV355Y..._jqxPEbNJ4XCBW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71n2KVzXl7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	149116  

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NRKStudio View Post
    I am completely new to the hasselblad system. Never shot film that wasn’t out of a disposable (digital took over when I was in high school).

I am very interested in a 503cw body, and mounting the cfv ii 50c. Is there anyway to link the shutter on the 503cw/lens to the digital back? Or is it required to keep the shutter open and use the electronic shutter on the CFV?

If I mount an older phase one digital back on the 503cw, is it the same issue that you must use the eShutter? My ideal set up would be to use the shutter on the 503 to trigger some sort of digital back, and also purchase some film to try out with an a12 back.

Thanks for the advice, forum gurus.
    I have no direct experience with the 503cw body, however in the CFVII 50c Instruction Manual (downloadable from Hasselblad), it is listed in section 1.10 Connectivity Chart - Mechanical Shutters as being the same as the 500C/M body in the Cable Free Operation panel. In other words, just fit the back to the camera, power the back on, set the ISO and other specifics on the back (such as crop, preview behavior, etc), then set focus/exposure with the body and lens, make your photos. It works seamlessly with the 500C/M this way; I can only presume that it works the same with the 503cw. When you want to use it in Live View mode, you set the back to work in that mode with electronic shutter specifically.

According to the same chart, the 503cw is also compatible for use with Phocus Remote Control operation when used with the Winder CW motor drive. This requires the exposure cable connection be used. The 500C/M is not compatible with Phocus in this way.

With all Hasselblad V system bodies (and V system back compatible alternative cameras), you can operate them via the CVFII 50c back's controls as a "shutterless lens" using the electronic shutter and Live View capabilities of the back. As with the 500C/M, just lock the camera with the back and lens shutters open and the lens stopped down, do the rest of the operation using the back's controls.

I also have no experience with Phase One digital backs. You should probably ask that question in a thread where people using those backs with Hasselblad 500 series bodies are conversing, or start a new thread pointed specifically at that topic.

It should be obvious, but for completeness: The 907x body is incompatible with Hasseblad film backs. It lacks the mechanisms to wind those backs' film transport, the shutter, and/or trigger the shutters with anything other than the CFVII 50c back.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 26th April 2020 at 05:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try out this Waist Level Finder to try to mimic an EVF. I'll report back when I receive it and have a chance to use it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYV355Y..._jqxPEbNJ4XCBW
    This collapsible LCD shade looks interesting but kind of clumsy to use given the 907x/CFVII 50c tilting screen. It looks like it fixes to the screen cover glass with a light adhesive. Given that a great deal of the camera and back's operation utilizes touch screen gesture operation on the LCD, it looks to me like it's going to get in the way more than help except in very specific circumstances.

I haven't found an LCD shade or magnifier to be needed so far. Perhaps I will at some point, but I'll want something I can slip on and off quickly with the screen in all three of its fixed positions so that I can operate the camera's controls and command menus.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful. Thanks.

I just watched Matt Grangers review on YouTube of the cvf50 (1st version) and he was using the mechanical shutter on a 503cw to capture photos with the cvf50. If you are using a 500c/m body, I may go that route due to the price.

From your advice below, it seems that is possible to use the mechanical shutter of the 500cm with the cvf50ii, when live view mode is turned off.

I am not familiar with Phocus, but if it’s worth the extra cost of acquiring a 503 instead of a 500cm, i may go that route.

Also of note, the old cvf50 was $15,000!

Thanks for your advice. Also, did you have to change your focus screen to match the crop factor of the cfv50ii instead of the fov of the a12 back?

Looking forward to trying this set up out, and hopefully also buying some film. Thanks again!

I have no direct experience with the 503cw body, however in the CFVII 50c Instruction Manual (downloadable from Hasselblad), it is listed in section 1.10 Connectivity Chart - Mechanical Shutters as being the same as the 500C/M body in the Cable Free Operation panel. In other words, just fit the back to the camera, power the back on, set the ISO and other specifics on the back (such as crop, preview behavior, etc), then set focus/exposure with the body and lens, make your photos. It works seamlessly with the 500C/M this way; I can only presume that it works the same with the 503cw. When you want to use it in Live View mode, you set the back to work in that mode with electronic shutter specifically.

According to the same chart, the 503cw is also compatible for use with Phocus Remote Control operation when used with the Winder CW motor drive. This requires the exposure cable connection be used. The 500C/M is not compatible with Phocus in this way.

With all Hasselblad V system bodies (and V system back compatible alternative cameras), you can operate them via the CVFII 50c back's controls as a "shutterless lens" using the electronic shutter and Live View capabilities of the back. As with the 500C/M, just lock the camera with the back and lens shutters open and the lens stopped down, do the rest of the operation using the back's controls.

I also have no experience with Phase One digital backs. You should probably ask that question in a thread where people using those backs with Hasselblad 500 series bodies are conversing, or start a new thread pointed specifically at that topic.

It should be obvious, but for completeness: The 907x body is incompatible with Hasseblad film backs. It lacks the mechanisms to wind those backs' film transport, the shutter, and/or trigger the shutters with anything other than the CFVII 50c back.

G

Post Thanks / Like

If I mount an older phase one digital back on the 503cw, is it the same issue that you must use the eShutter?
    Older Phase One backs do not have an e-shutter. How it works is that you hook up a cable to your flash sync socket and connect it to the digital back.

Post Thanks / Like

This collapsible LCD shade looks interesting but kind of clumsy to use given the 907x/CFVII 50c tilting screen. It looks like it fixes to the screen cover glass with a light adhesive. Given that a great deal of the camera and back's operation utilizes touch screen gesture operation on the LCD, it looks to me like it's going to get in the way more than help except in very specific circumstances.

I haven't found an LCD shade or magnifier to be needed so far. Perhaps I will at some point, but I'll want something I can slip on and off quickly with the screen in all three of its fixed positions so that I can operate the camera's controls and command menus.

G
    After sleeping on it I decided to cancel the order. You are right that it would be too much of a hassle to use the touch functions of the 907x/CFV ii 50c. It does attach and detach by magnet but I think it would not be worth the trouble.

Have you had any luck with finding a screen protector ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From your advice below, it seems that is possible to use the mechanical shutter of the 500cm with the cvf50ii, when live view mode is turned off.
    I am not familiar with Phocus, but if it’s worth the extra cost of acquiring a 503 instead of a 500cm, i may go that route.
    Thanks for your advice. Also, did you have to change your focus screen to match the crop factor of the cfv50ii instead of the fov of the a12 back?
    The CFV 50c back is quite different from the CFVII 50c back with respect to its operation, I think. I never had one of the earlier backs.

The default behavior of the CFVII 50c back when fitted to the 500CM is to just work like a film back does: you set the back for what sensitivity you want, and whatever other parameters you want. Otherwise, you use the camera as you always would with film and the back records the photo. That's it ... so yes, you're using the mechanical shutter in the lens. You have to set the back to a different mode, and the body to open the lens and body shutters, for Live View to operate. Completely different operation.

Again, I have no direct experience with the 503 model. I'd have to research what is different between it and the 500CM with respect to what the body supports. I've had three 500CMs, however, and they do everything I want.

Phocus is Hasselblad's image processing and camera control software. There's also Phocus Mobile for use with portable devices. Phocus comes with the 907x/CFVII 50c and is downloadable from their website. It's only useful in controlling the 503cw if you also have the motor drive, which is only compatible with the 503cw. It's always useful for processing the photos that you've captured with the back, if you choose that route of image processing. (I've used Lightroom Classic so far for my image processing.)

The CFVII 50c comes with a mask to place on the focusing screen of your Hasselblad SLR to give you an accurate framing tool. I haven't found it necessary: I can just visualize the difference pretty easily in my head. You can make one too. Here's a graphic of the format difference:

Name:  format.png
Views: 768
Size:  10.2 KB

The Blue is the film format, the Black is the digital format. Easy.

If I were you, I'd buy a camera and a film back, play with that a while and see whether it appeals to you. Then consider whether to spend the extra money to buy the digital back.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

After sleeping on it I decided to cancel the order. You are right that it would be too much of a hassle to use the touch functions of the 907x/CFV ii 50c. It does attach and detach by magnet but I think it would not be worth the trouble.

Have you had any luck with finding a screen protector ?
    I've never used screen protectors, so I haven't looked.

G

Post Thanks / Like

The CFV 50c back is quite different from the CFVII 50c back with respect to its operation, I think. I never had one of the earlier backs.
    I don't think it is. Hasselblad digital backs (whether they had live view or not) have used the mechanical coupling between the body and the magazine to synchronize operation with the leaf shutters in the lenses. This mechanical coupling was originally developed to trigger a small indicator on the film magazines which showed whether the current frame had been exposed. This indicator serves to warn the user of accidental double-exposure if a back is removed and then reattached without having been wound since the previous exposure,. This indicator is triggered by a "release bar" in the body which is actuated as part of the release sequence.

When Hasselblad started producing digital backs, they designed the backs to be triggered by this bar so that the backs would work seamlessly even with the oldest 500-series bodies. This is the "release bar sensor" shown on page 27 of the CFV-II-50c manual (https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/C...User-Guide.pdf) Third-party backs (Phase, Leaf, etc) lack this interface. They're triggered by the use of a PC cord connected to the lens (just like a flash). You can do this with the Hasselblad backs, too, in case something goes wrong with the mechanical coupling, or if you're attaching the back to a tech/view camera that lacks this coupling. An unfortunate side-effect of this is that it wasn't practical to make the backs rotatable, since the release bar would no longer line up if you rotated the back 90 degrees.

The whole idea here is to keep the operation of the camera and back as consistent as possible, whether you're using film or digital. You can just slap the digital back on your 63 year-old 500C and start shooting exactly the same way you did with film.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, thanks!
    I realize I was thinking more about the touch-screen interface. Is that the same on the CFV 50c as it is on the CFVII 50c?

G

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, my wait come to an end.
    907 work like magic, but I spent a weekend with the CVFII50C on my 501c, took me some time to figure out the connection. Seems hard to get capture right, not always a photo capture with my 501c. I also having trouble opening those files captured in Lightroom. I don't know why...

www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos! And good luck with your 907x SE!

I'm not sure why you're having trouble getting exposures with the 501c and CFVII 50c back, though. I wonder what's different about the 501c body vs my 500CM bodies ... I just stick the back on and go shooting, get exposures every time ... unless it's a problem with your specific 501c body.

Did you look at which body the back is set to when you fit it to the 501c? Perhaps there's something off kilter in the back's configuration.

One thing that's become plain to me: My lovely old Planar 80/2.8 T* and Distagon 50/4 T* are simply not so stunningly sharp when wide open as the XCD 21mm lens is. After many experiments and focusing trials, I've come to realize that for the kind of sharpness I get out of the XCD 21mm at f/4, I need to stop down either of those two lenses about two stops at least (f/5.6 and f/8 respectively), at least in the near focusing range. The focus is right on the money, they're just not as sharp wide open.

I'm going to take a walk with the 500CM+CFVII 50c+Planar 80mm tomorrow ...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, thanks!
    I realize I was thinking more about the touch-screen interface. Is that the same on the CFV 50c as it is on the CFVII 50c?

G
    No, the interface in the CFV50c is not the same as the CFVII 50c. The CFV50c is based on the interface of the H5D - there is no touch functionality and the screen is lower resolution I believe as well.

For me, the biggest differences between the CFV50c and CFVII50c are the improved live view and internal battery of the CFVII, in addition to the electronic shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned a CFV50c, I would say it was the beta version and now Hasselblad has released the fully sorted production one. Without the battery hanging off the bottom it is now a svelte combination with any camera body.