The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

SrMphoto

It is lovely.

Anyone who's going to make caustic comments about the commemorative sticker on the camera goes on my ignore list. I'm an ex-NASA person, I don't even want to see such dunderheads.

G
You could always replace the sticker with "Over the moon - since 2020" :).

Godfrey

Unless your 500 series body is of the newest generation, the 501cm and/or 503cw where Hasselblad removed the locking level at the shutter button. If so, you must use a locking shutter release cable to keep the lens/shutter open. I do this on my 501cm to focus via Live View. This is why I need to use a tripod to focus, but you can get use to it quickly if you shoot your Hasselblad often.

Thank you Godfrey for sharing your experiences and wonderful images with us Hasselblad users.
Thank you, Darr.
I was specific with my comments to the 500CM since I have no experience with any of the later 500 series bodies. Your thoughts are very useful information where I lack insight! :)

G

Monster1

Hello all. I currently shoot film on my 2000FCW and understand there are compatibility issues and other limitations with the CFV II back. I’m thinking to get a 500 series body to pair with a CFV II back so I can use my CF lenses, but am I right in thinking that another option would be to get the 907x with an adapter instead of a 500 series body? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of one set up over the other? Thanks so much for any guidance you can give me!

Godfrey

Five more walk photos with the 907x + XCD 21mm f/4 lens ...

Green Leaves - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

Tree, Bark, Path, Light - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/1250

White Fence - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/320

Waste Gate - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 800 @ f/8 @ 1/250

Back Door El Paloma - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/250

Enjoy!

G

TopgunCameras1

Hello!

If anyone is looking for an L Bracket to better handle a portrait orientation and to mount a cold shoe, the PEAK DESIGN ELLIE PD SHORT works perfectly!

Apr 23 2020DSCF0185 23 mm2Apr 23 2020.jpg
Apr 23 2020DSCF0200 23 mm8Apr 23 2020.jpg
Apr 24 202094143964_10157059119011269_1167134101145124864_o Apr 24 2020.jpg
Apr 24 202094178529_10157059119131269_1445243588727275520_o Apr 24 2020.jpg

Godfrey

Hello!

If anyone is looking for an L Bracket to better handle a portrait orientation and to mount a cold shoe, the PEAK DESIGN ELLIE PD SHORT works perfectly!
I can't seem to find this on the PD website. Do you have a link?
I have an Acratech Universal L Bracket #1138 that works well for the L-bracket capability, albeit it's a bit bulky. :)

G

NRKStudio

I am completely new to the hasselblad system. Never shot film that wasn’t out of a disposable (digital took over when I was in high school).

I am very interested in a 503cw body, and mounting the cfv ii 50c. Is there anyway to link the shutter on the 503cw/lens to the digital back? Or is it required to keep the shutter open and use the electronic shutter on the CFV?

If I mount an older phase one digital back on the 503cw, is it the same issue that you must use the eShutter? My ideal set up would be to use the shutter on the 503 to trigger some sort of digital back, and also purchase some film to try out with an a12 back.

Thanks for the advice, forum gurus.

You're welcome! The CFVII 50c works beautifully with the 500CM body. In the simplest methodology, you just throw the back onto the camera and it recognizes the camera immediately. You then go about shooting as you normally would, minding the format reduction (about the same format as a SuperSlide if you go to a square). I find that if I want the native FoV of 80mm on film, switching to the 50mm nets about the same thing on the digital back. The diagonal split-image focusing screen gives the best results for me with the 50 and 80, a plain matte-fresnel screen gives better results with the 120 and 150 mm lenses.

For the best critical focusing, you set the back to use electronic shutter. Then open the lens and shutter by setting B and releasing the shutter, flipping the locking lever to hold it open. Now press the Live View button on the LCD and you can see exactly what you're going to capture on the LCD. Double tap it for focus assist magnification and critical focus. In eshutter operation, you make your exposures by pressing a button on the lcd or using the back's remote release.

IME, it works very well for most of what I'd shoot with a Hasselblad ... The exposure readings I made with ISO @ aperture @ shutter or ISO @ EV using my Sekonic L358 in incident mode were right on the money, or at least well within the normal range of variability that I expect when using an incident reading to determine proper exposure (most of which have to do with metering technique, nothing about the meter itself or the camera!).

I'm very happy that I went the distance to buy the 907x Special Edition and feel incredibly lucky to have it early in the game, during this plague crisis. There's plenty to learn and practice with it and with the back used on my 500CM while I plan more extensive photo outings. I do want an XCD 45mm lens for it as well as the 21mm, when the time comes and Hasselblad is shipping them again. :)

G

Godfrey

I am completely new to the hasselblad system. Never shot film that wasn’t out of a disposable (digital took over when I was in high school).

I am very interested in a 503cw body, and mounting the cfv ii 50c. Is there anyway to link the shutter on the 503cw/lens to the digital back? Or is it required to keep the shutter open and use the electronic shutter on the CFV?

If I mount an older phase one digital back on the 503cw, is it the same issue that you must use the eShutter? My ideal set up would be to use the shutter on the 503 to trigger some sort of digital back, and also purchase some film to try out with an a12 back.

Thanks for the advice, forum gurus.
I have no direct experience with the 503cw body, however in the CFVII 50c Instruction Manual (downloadable from Hasselblad), it is listed in section 1.10 Connectivity Chart - Mechanical Shutters as being the same as the 500C/M body in the Cable Free Operation panel. In other words, just fit the back to the camera, power the back on, set the ISO and other specifics on the back (such as crop, preview behavior, etc), then set focus/exposure with the body and lens, make your photos. It works seamlessly with the 500C/M this way; I can only presume that it works the same with the 503cw. When you want to use it in Live View mode, you set the back to work in that mode with electronic shutter specifically.

According to the same chart, the 503cw is also compatible for use with Phocus Remote Control operation when used with the Winder CW motor drive. This requires the exposure cable connection be used. The 500C/M is not compatible with Phocus in this way.

With all Hasselblad V system bodies (and V system back compatible alternative cameras), you can operate them via the CVFII 50c back's controls as a "shutterless lens" using the electronic shutter and Live View capabilities of the back. As with the 500C/M, just lock the camera with the back and lens shutters open and the lens stopped down, do the rest of the operation using the back's controls.

I also have no experience with Phase One digital backs. You should probably ask that question in a thread where people using those backs with Hasselblad 500 series bodies are conversing, or start a new thread pointed specifically at that topic. :)

It should be obvious, but for completeness: The 907x body is incompatible with Hasseblad film backs. It lacks the mechanisms to wind those backs' film transport, the shutter, and/or trigger the shutters with anything other than the CFVII 50c back.

G

Last edited:

Godfrey

I'm going to try out this Waist Level Finder to try to mimic an EVF. I'll report back when I receive it and have a chance to use it :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYV355Y/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_jqxPEbNJ4XCBW
This collapsible LCD shade looks interesting but kind of clumsy to use given the 907x/CFVII 50c tilting screen. It looks like it fixes to the screen cover glass with a light adhesive. Given that a great deal of the camera and back's operation utilizes touch screen gesture operation on the LCD, it looks to me like it's going to get in the way more than help except in very specific circumstances.

I haven't found an LCD shade or magnifier to be needed so far. Perhaps I will at some point, but I'll want something I can slip on and off quickly with the screen in all three of its fixed positions so that I can operate the camera's controls and command menus.

G

NRKStudio

Very helpful. Thanks.

I just watched Matt Grangers review on YouTube of the cvf50 (1st version) and he was using the mechanical shutter on a 503cw to capture photos with the cvf50. If you are using a 500c/m body, I may go that route due to the price.

From your advice below, it seems that is possible to use the mechanical shutter of the 500cm with the cvf50ii, when live view mode is turned off.

I am not familiar with Phocus, but if it’s worth the extra cost of acquiring a 503 instead of a 500cm, i may go that route.

Also of note, the old cvf50 was $15,000!

Thanks for your advice. Also, did you have to change your focus screen to match the crop factor of the cfv50ii instead of the fov of the a12 back?

Looking forward to trying this set up out, and hopefully also buying some film. Thanks again!

I have no direct experience with the 503cw body, however in the CFVII 50c Instruction Manual (downloadable from Hasselblad), it is listed in section 1.10 Connectivity Chart - Mechanical Shutters as being the same as the 500C/M body in the Cable Free Operation panel. In other words, just fit the back to the camera, power the back on, set the ISO and other specifics on the back (such as crop, preview behavior, etc), then set focus/exposure with the body and lens, make your photos. It works seamlessly with the 500C/M this way; I can only presume that it works the same with the 503cw. When you want to use it in Live View mode, you set the back to work in that mode with electronic shutter specifically.

According to the same chart, the 503cw is also compatible for use with Phocus Remote Control operation when used with the Winder CW motor drive. This requires the exposure cable connection be used. The 500C/M is not compatible with Phocus in this way.

With all Hasselblad V system bodies (and V system back compatible alternative cameras), you can operate them via the CVFII 50c back's controls as a "shutterless lens" using the electronic shutter and Live View capabilities of the back. As with the 500C/M, just lock the camera with the back and lens shutters open and the lens stopped down, do the rest of the operation using the back's controls.

I also have no experience with Phase One digital backs. You should probably ask that question in a thread where people using those backs with Hasselblad 500 series bodies are conversing, or start a new thread pointed specifically at that topic. :)

It should be obvious, but for completeness: The 907x body is incompatible with Hasseblad film backs. It lacks the mechanisms to wind those backs' film transport, the shutter, and/or trigger the shutters with anything other than the CFVII 50c back.

G

anyone

If I mount an older phase one digital back on the 503cw, is it the same issue that you must use the eShutter?
Older Phase One backs do not have an e-shutter. How it works is that you hook up a cable to your flash sync socket and connect it to the digital back.

TopgunCameras1

This collapsible LCD shade looks interesting but kind of clumsy to use given the 907x/CFVII 50c tilting screen. It looks like it fixes to the screen cover glass with a light adhesive. Given that a great deal of the camera and back's operation utilizes touch screen gesture operation on the LCD, it looks to me like it's going to get in the way more than help except in very specific circumstances.

I haven't found an LCD shade or magnifier to be needed so far. Perhaps I will at some point, but I'll want something I can slip on and off quickly with the screen in all three of its fixed positions so that I can operate the camera's controls and command menus.

G
After sleeping on it I decided to cancel the order. You are right that it would be too much of a hassle to use the touch functions of the 907x/CFV ii 50c. It does attach and detach by magnet but I think it would not be worth the trouble.

Have you had any luck with finding a screen protector ?

Godfrey

From your advice below, it seems that is possible to use the mechanical shutter of the 500cm with the cvf50ii, when live view mode is turned off.
I am not familiar with Phocus, but if it’s worth the extra cost of acquiring a 503 instead of a 500cm, i may go that route.
Thanks for your advice. Also, did you have to change your focus screen to match the crop factor of the cfv50ii instead of the fov of the a12 back?
The CFV 50c back is quite different from the CFVII 50c back with respect to its operation, I think. I never had one of the earlier backs.

The default behavior of the CFVII 50c back when fitted to the 500CM is to just work like a film back does: you set the back for what sensitivity you want, and whatever other parameters you want. Otherwise, you use the camera as you always would with film and the back records the photo. That's it ... so yes, you're using the mechanical shutter in the lens. You have to set the back to a different mode, and the body to open the lens and body shutters, for Live View to operate. Completely different operation.

Again, I have no direct experience with the 503 model. I'd have to research what is different between it and the 500CM with respect to what the body supports. I've had three 500CMs, however, and they do everything I want.

Phocus is Hasselblad's image processing and camera control software. There's also Phocus Mobile for use with portable devices. Phocus comes with the 907x/CFVII 50c and is downloadable from their website. It's only useful in controlling the 503cw if you also have the motor drive, which is only compatible with the 503cw. It's always useful for processing the photos that you've captured with the back, if you choose that route of image processing. (I've used Lightroom Classic so far for my image processing.)

The CFVII 50c comes with a mask to place on the focusing screen of your Hasselblad SLR to give you an accurate framing tool. I haven't found it necessary: I can just visualize the difference pretty easily in my head. You can make one too. Here's a graphic of the format difference:

format.png

The Blue is the film format, the Black is the digital format. Easy.

If I were you, I'd buy a camera and a film back, play with that a while and see whether it appeals to you. Then consider whether to spend the extra money to buy the digital back.

G

Godfrey

After sleeping on it I decided to cancel the order. You are right that it would be too much of a hassle to use the touch functions of the 907x/CFV ii 50c. It does attach and detach by magnet but I think it would not be worth the trouble.

Have you had any luck with finding a screen protector ?
I've never used screen protectors, so I haven't looked. :)

G

sog1927

The CFV 50c back is quite different from the CFVII 50c back with respect to its operation, I think. I never had one of the earlier backs.
I don't think it is. Hasselblad digital backs (whether they had live view or not) have used the mechanical coupling between the body and the magazine to synchronize operation with the leaf shutters in the lenses. This mechanical coupling was originally developed to trigger a small indicator on the film magazines which showed whether the current frame had been exposed. This indicator serves to warn the user of accidental double-exposure if a back is removed and then reattached without having been wound since the previous exposure,. This indicator is triggered by a "release bar" in the body which is actuated as part of the release sequence.

When Hasselblad started producing digital backs, they designed the backs to be triggered by this bar so that the backs would work seamlessly even with the oldest 500-series bodies. This is the "release bar sensor" shown on page 27 of the CFV-II-50c manual (https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/CFV-II-50C-User-Manual/1.0.0.0/CFV-II-50C-User-Guide.pdf) Third-party backs (Phase, Leaf, etc) lack this interface. They're triggered by the use of a PC cord connected to the lens (just like a flash). You can do this with the Hasselblad backs, too, in case something goes wrong with the mechanical coupling, or if you're attaching the back to a tech/view camera that lacks this coupling. An unfortunate side-effect of this is that it wasn't practical to make the backs rotatable, since the release bar would no longer line up if you rotated the back 90 degrees.

The whole idea here is to keep the operation of the camera and back as consistent as possible, whether you're using film or digital. You can just slap the digital back on your 63 year-old 500C and start shooting exactly the same way you did with film.

Godfrey

Good to know, thanks!
I realize I was thinking more about the touch-screen interface. Is that the same on the CFV 50c as it is on the CFVII 50c?

G