The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Godfrey

While I'm waiting for the outdoor temperatures to warm up a little before heading out on my bicycle for today's isolation exercise ride, I was thinking of the question: "How will I carry the 907x with one lens on a bicycle ride?"

My most secure and smallest bicycling-friendly bag suitable for carrying a bulky camera in is a Wotancraft Mini Rider. I pulled it out, set it on the kitchen counter, and collected the minimum set of stuff that I'd need to carry in it. And then I squeezed all of it in:

The bag, its harness, and the entire kit all fits .. even without expanding the bag to its full capacity! .. and weighs 7 kilograms.

In the front zippered pocket, there's just enough room to fit my wallet, AirPod power case, and the spare Hasselblad battery.

In the main zippered compartment, my eyeglasses case (for sunglasses) lays on the bottom, the camera with XCD 21mm lens fits on top of it, and my iPhone slides into the rear zippered and padded pocket.

In actual cycling practice, I'll likely slide the glasses case as well as my small bottle of water and my small bicycle lock into the saddlebag instead. And when the 45P lens arrives, there will be more space in the main compartment of the bag (and it will be a bit lighter too). More space means more convenient to carry and to get things in and out of.

But at least I now know that I can carry a minimum kit of this camera in a secure and not overly intrusive way, safely and with some options for actually using it. I have a couple of larger sling bags (the regular sized Wotancraft Easy Rider and the Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L) that will handle a larger kit when I'm willing to carry the additional load, but the goal today was to see whether this bag would address the minimum kit. It does, I'm happy: Another bag NOT to buy is always good news to me...

:D

Onwards,
G

phOtOny teXas

Being in Lockdown and all this time on my hands I have to shoot something with this Beautiful Camera. I may be sucking the bandwidth of this thread, sorry but I'm learning the camera and trying to show others what a fine tool it is. When I can get out-and-about I'll shoot more recognizable pics ;) for now some of my painting is what I'm posting... zOOm iN fOr deTaiL
Lay-Low and Stay Safe
tOny

Six Feet Under
by tOny endieveri, on Flickr

Last edited:

sog1927

Being in Lockdown and all this time on my hands I have to shoot something with this Beautiful Camera. I may be sucking the bandwidth of this thread, sorry but I'm learning the camera and trying to show others what a fine tool it is. When I can get out-and-about I'll shoot more recognizable pics ;) for now some of my painting is what I'm posting... zOOm iN fOr deTaiL
Lay-Low and Stay Safe
tOny

Six Feet Under
These are all absolutely fascinating and quite stunning.

Godfrey

Experimentation day... Using the 907x plus an adapted Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 for film scanning.

Juice Shop - San Francisco 2019
Hasselblad 500CM + A12 + Distagon 50mm
Ilford HP5 - Kodak HC-110 1:49, 8 min, continuous agitation
Scanned: Hasselblad 907x + Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8

So yes, it works. It works very well!

The full resolution upload I made to Flickr is a half resolution, 3000x3000 pixel image, if you want to look at that just click on the image above.

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Leaving SF on CalTrain...

Riding Trains - San Francisco 2019
Ilford XP2 Super - Kodak HC-110 1:49, 8 min, continuous agitation

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

No explanation needed...

Waiting - San Francisco 2019

BTW, just noticed that it wasn't HP5 but Ilford XP2 Super that I used in the camera for the past three photos I've posted. Oops! :)

enjoy!
G

JoelM

Are you placing glass over the negative? It looks like you are. May I suggest using anti-Newton ring glass. It works well for me, but just a suggestion.

Joel

No explanation needed...

Waiting - San Francisco 2019

BTW, just noticed that it wasn't HP5 but Ilford XP2 Super that I used in the camera for the past three photos I've posted. Oops! :)

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Are you placing glass over the negative? It looks like you are. May I suggest using anti-Newton ring glass. It works well for me, but just a suggestion.

Joel
Yes ... I noticed the newton rings last evening. Sigh.

I made an error when capturing this set in that I had the negatives turned face down for correct orientation in the viewfinder on capture. That puts the glossy back of the negative in contact with the glass, causing newton rings. I'll have to recapture with the negatives flipped over (I reflip L->R in Lightroom) which eliminates this problem. My light source has a micro-matte diffuser surface so that eliminates the rings in that orientation.

I generally don't like scanning with glass-sandwiched negatives for this reason (and the possibilities of scratching and dirt, etc); the glass also cuts the negatives' sharpness by a tiny amount too. I have a much much better/easier to use glassless negative carrier for 120 roll film scanning on the way, but with all the hoohah of the coronavirus plague going on, it's hard to say when it will appear. Not much to be done in the meanwhile, just go back and re-scan properly.

Thanks for the note!

G

sog1927

I think the X1D and the CFV should have two V-notches on the edge of the capture area, just for old time's sake.;)

I miss them.

Godfrey

I think the X1D and the CFV should have two V-notches on the edge of the capture area, just for old time's sake.;)

I miss them.
The question is, which edge?
Easy enough to add as part of the image processing workflow, however. :D

I have four or five Minox subminiature cameras. Each of them has it's distinctive notch in the film gate too, they're all placed differently!

G

Godfrey

I'm still in the "play and learn" phase of ownership with the Hasselblad 907x. One amusing thought that came to me the other day was "What if I fit the Leica M to Hasselblad X adapter, and then stick the Skink Pinhole with Zone Plate f/71 disk on it?" I wondered how the Live View and electronic shutter would work.

I set the camera up and looked at the LCD. Hmm. ISO 3200 and I can only see things if I'm out in sunlight. Eshutter limited to 1 second exposures … Oh well, I'll just use Bulb. And, eh?, all the exposures are going to be several if not tens of seconds, let's just try hand-held… LOL!

So off I went around the condo looking at Things In Place… Most exposures were between 3 and 8 seconds, many were simply discarded, but I found six out of the bunch that I thought were amusing enough to show. And then I thought, "These are way too low-fi to present in a big image … they kinda look like Polaroid shots in a way … Hmm, I can use the Shake-It Photo app on the iPhone to work them into a Polaroid SX-70 frame …" So I did.

Click on photo to see the rest of the gallery - Six photos total.

Don't laugh at me too much. :)

enjoy!
G

"Only the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

Godfrey

Quite the run of abstracts, Tony! :D

I've been putzing about the condo today, experimenting with the XCD 21mm lens.

Dining Table - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/6

Red Sofa - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 3/4

Mexican Bear - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/2

Kitchen Sink - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/10​

Great art...? LOL! But it's fun and I'm getting to know the camera pretty well now. :D

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

I was feeling a little under the weather yesterday—up too early, not enough sleep, couldn't get back to sleep, etc—but after a nap in the late afternoon I felt a lot better and went for a good long walk. I decided to carry the 907x plus XCD21 lens on a first walk outing.

For this purpose, I fitted a set of Peak Design anchors and a PD Leash. Set up like this, the 907x hangs nose down compactly and comfortably, just like the 500CM does, with the strap worn in a cross body configuration and adjusted to the right length. It's easy to grasp the camera by the lens with the left hand and flip it up to make an exposure, and (just like with the 500CM) the only slow down is to flip the screen out for waist-level viewing. I was wearing a set of bicycle gloves for the walk with smartphone-enabling pads in the two index fingers: working the camera's controls through the touch screen or with the button and control dial was no problem at all, and I never found a situation where I couldn't see adequately well enough to frame and select a focus point (although I did miss the focus point setting on a few photos ... my fault!). I walked briskly for about 2.5 miles/an hour or so, stopping occasionally to make a photograph: the 907x never became too heavy or "in the way".

Very pleasing! And I imagine that, when the 45P arrives, it will be even nicer since that lens is a quarter the size and weight of the 21mm. :D

G

Godfrey

One of the forty six exposures I made on my walk with the 907x yesterday.

Spiral Art - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4 lens
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/125

While I've done these sorts of photos with the Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm and found them successful and satisfying, I have to say the 907x + 21mm takes them to a different level in detail and tonal qualities.

I'll suspect I'll try more people oriented street shooting when the 45mm lens arrives. :D

enjoy!
G

phOtOny teXas

907X - mOOn cAmerA - 90mm Leica Macro Elmar, not in Macro - Multiple Exposure

I guess it's just you and I Godfrey...Are we the only ones with this camera or are we the only two who post? Keep them coming I like your Walk-About's, this came from mine today...

Ionosphere

mtakeda

I am wondering if they are shipping this camera. HB is a strange company which does not seem to care about the communication with the market.