The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

jng

Thank you, John!

(I suspect you meant "...if the flange to sensor distance is long, which would prevent focusing to infinity..." because a short mount register allows focus past infinity...)
Yes, of course! Brain f*rt on my part - as I was typing my message I was simultaneously thinking of the ones I had that were made a bit short, which at least allowed infinity focus albeit not at the hard infinity stop of most V series lenses.

For use with some heavy lenses and extension tubes, I wonder if there's a tripod mount that will engage the 907x camera's tripod screw mount point and also provide support for the lens at the middle to forward end of the adapter. That would place the center of balance forward and distribute the load a little more evenly.
Not sure about that. However the tripod collar that Hasselblad makes for their XH (non-dumb) adapter will fit their dumb XV adapter. The collar made by ppl.de also works quite well, although I think I read somewhere that they've been discontinued. On my X1D I use the ppl.de tripod lens collar as I don't like hanging so much mass off the front. The camera is so light that I don't mind it hanging off the back and in general have found this to be pretty stable even when shooting with my 250 Superachromat.

John

jng

You may look into the direction of the RRS long lens support which does exactly that, but it might be a little overdone for a 'regular heavy lens'. It's meant for long tele lenses, as the name suggests.
Yes, this might be overkill for the medium tele's. Here's a pic of my X1D mounted to the 250 Superachromat using the Fotodiox XV adapter, which has a pretty flimsy foot, together mounted on the RRS long lens support. I pretty much skip using the long lens support now that I have a beefier setup.

John

24846617907_77c45717af_k.jpg

sog1927

I agree. I was simply responding to the previous post wherein it was suggested I check that the lens' bayonet lock engaged properly with the adapter's engaging pin. A more complex adapter that allowed you to make exposures operating via the lens shutter might have been cool, but after all a Hasselblad 500CM body is probably the same price as what a new adapter of that type would cost, and if you want that kind of functionality, well, just use a 500CM body with the back. :)
G
Certainly true for those who have managed to get their hands on the new CFV, but not for those of us who are using the X1D (either first or second generation). I didn't buy the X1D until the Fotodiox XV adapter was available - and I got by with the electronic shutter on my rather large collection of V lenses for the first few months until I managed to accumulate some XCD lenses. The inability to use flash and the difficulty in dealing with moving subjects (to say nothing of the difficulty of doing serious photomacrogragraphy) was all discouraging, but the camera itself is a delight to use. If Hasselblad had come out with a fully-functional XV adapter, I would buy it in a hearbeat. As it is, I've stuck with the Fotodiox adapter and see no real point in buying the XV.

anyone

Yes, this might be overkill for the medium tele's. Here's a pic of my X1D mounted to the 250 Superachromat using the Fotodiox XV adapter, which has a pretty flimsy foot, together mounted on the RRS long lens support. I pretty much skip using the long lens support now that I have a beefier setup.

John

View attachment 149341
That's what I thought. Lovely tripod head! (of course, also spectacular lens, I also really much like the 250mm Superachromat, even it's a bit of a pain to use!)

Godfrey

Thanks for your thoughts. I looked at the RRS Long Lens Support and yes, it's more than I need.

... the tripod collar that Hasselblad makes for their XH (non-dumb) adapter will fit their dumb XV adapter. ...
If that's true, that's a no brainer. The tripod collar for the XH Adapter is not too expensive (about $150) and does exactly what I'd like: moves the tripod mount from the body to the adapter tube, and forward; it'll end up in about the same position as it is with the 500CM body. Add one of my Arca-Swiss camera plates and the setup is complete. Thanks!

In further, more detailed testing today, I found that the Planar 80, Makro-Planar 120, and Sonnar 150 all latch perfectly and securely on the XV Adapter. However, neither the Distagon 50 nor either of my V system extension tubes latch properly. Doing some measurements with my dial caliper, these three lenses' bayonet flange is 3.9mm thick when you measure the rectangular bit that stops the lens rotation and has the angled notch for the bayonet lock to drop into, whereas the ones that work properly are 3.75 to 3.8mm. All the lenses and extension tubes lock properly on both my 500CM bodies. The issue seems a minor thing, the lens needs to be able to rotate just a hair more to properly engages the lock pawl on the XV Adapter ... I'll send Hasselblad a note and see if they will correct this for me.

G

sog1927

John

View attachment 149341
I took the foot off of mine, measured it with a set of calipers and bought an appropriately sized tripod collar on Ebay. It's much more stable and easier to use now. I also found a collar that would fit my 500mm Apotessar, which makes it a lot easier to use with a rectangular format.

DaveS

The Bracket XH came with the XCD 135mm F2.8 when I purchased it with the 1.7X. It fits right on the converter, (but not the lens) to make a nice set up for the tripod. The only thing about the XH is the smaller Hasselblad shoe. But I have the old Hasselblad quick release plate from my 500C/M set up so you bolt that to the tripod head and the quick release plate allow you to quickly take it on or off. Of just bolt a Arca Swiss onto the bracket, etc.

And as mentioned above it fits perfectly on the XV adapter as pictured below.

Here is a picture of the setup with the 150mm F4, which works out quite well even hand held at F4.

Dave

IMG_4166.jpgIMG_4167.jpg

DaveS

Speaking of which (handheld at F4 with XV and 150mm, that is) here are two shots with that combo last night. At ISO 1600 around 1/160 sec.

I wasn't using the bracket last night, I just read this today and dug through my stuff and found it for the post above.0004 X1D w 150mm F4 V lens a.jpg0002 X1D w 150mm F4 V lens a.jpg

I know this isn't the exact right post for this, but since the conversation was going to the XV adapter....

The are not biting sharp, but do sharpen up well, and are very even across the frame. (The lens gest better at 5.6 and at F8 the detail is really nice, from some other shots I did)

here they are,
Dave

Godfrey

The Bracket XH came with the XCD 135mm F2.8 when I purchased it with the 1.7X. It fits right on the converter, (but not the lens) to make a nice set up for the tripod. The only thing about the XH is the smaller Hasselblad shoe. But I have the old Hasselblad quick release plate from my 500C/M set up so you bolt that to the tripod head and the quick release plate allow you to quickly take it on or off. Of just bolt a Arca Swiss onto the bracket, etc.

And as mentioned above it fits perfectly on the XV adapter as pictured below.

Here is a picture of the setup with the 150mm F4, which works out quite well even hand held at F4.
Thanks Dave. Yes, I expect I'll pick one up and use one of my Acratech camera plates for Hasselblad 500 on it ... It's tailor-made for the classic Hasselblad foot and fits perfectly.

I did some test shooting with the 80, 120, and 150 today, hand held. Yes, these lenses produces lovely quality imaging when you get them focused correctly. :)

I have the XCD 21 and 45P lenses now. I expect I'll eventually pick up a longer lens, either the 80 or 135 I think, but I'm not in a hurry to do so. For macro, currently, I'm working with the Makro-Planar 120/4 ... just a terrific lens ... Fitted with my two extension tubes, it nets just about a 1:1.1 reproduction ratio, which is more macro than I need. I can also fit any of my Leica R macro equipment as well.

I'm not cycling tomorrow, I'll be doing a nice long walk, and intend to have the 907x, one or two lenses, and my tripod along for it. :)

G

DaveS

I also am impressed with the Leica R 60mm F2.8 Macro on the Hasselblad, but it has a tiny bit of hard vignette in the corners but it doesn't really affect much if you crop a bit.

The lens that really surprised me is the super cheap Canon FDn 35mm F2.8. One of the cheapest lenses they made, and very cheap to buy today. it is very sharp and has no vignette on the Hasselblad. I use a H - Leica M, and then a Leica M to Canon FD adapter. The whole thing weights about 8 oz. and is tiny.

Here is a sample showing that one on the X1D ii. (It also works really well on the Leica SL. The only thing is normal, but strong vignette at 2.8 even on full frame, but stopping down a bit fades it away.)

Hasselblad X1D ii, Canon new FD 35mm F2.8 lens at F11.

Dave

HAS X1Dii w CAN FDn 35 at F11 a.jpg

Godfrey

I also am impressed with the Leica R 60mm F2.8 Macro on the Hasselblad, but it has a tiny bit of hard vignette in the corners but it doesn't really affect much if you crop a bit.
I usually crop to square so the little bits of corner vignetting have not been any issue for my use (scanning 6x6 negatives and Polaroid SX-70 prints).

That Canon 35/2.8 sounds like a nice find! I should try playing with a few more lenses ... I have the Fotodiox Pro adapters for M and R mount and several of each that I haven't tried yet (R28, R50Lux, M35lux, M50Cron, M75Rit, etc). One inexpensive lens I tried is the M-mount 1960 Hektor 135mm f/4.5 and I was pleasantly astonished at how nicely it images and covers the format ... most of the vignetting on full format came from its lens hood, the rest is certainly from the teensy M-mount diameter, I'm sure.

Fun stuff!

Oh yes: I sent a note to Hasselblad about the bayonet mount latching problem with my Distagon 50 and V-system extension tubes yesterday. I received a response this morning: They'll evaluate (and hopefully fix) the problem for me. Yay!

(I could just send it back to B&H in exchange for another, but to me that just transfers the problem to the next buyer unless B&H sends it back to Hasselblad as defective, which I doubt they'll do on a second-hand item return. I'd rather just have it fixed and work properly... I suspect the fix is extremely simple, just a matter of loosening the ring and letting it reposition itself before retightening it. The dimensions all seem very, very close when I measure things with my dial gauge; probably an assembly variance issue.)

Such entertainment. :D
G

postscript - I've packaged and shipped the X-V Adapter and a 21mm extension tube that illustrates the problem to Hasselblad Service. AND I've ordered the H-V Bracket tripod mount for it... That makes it much more usable for my needs.

Yeah, I'm optimistic. LOL! :D

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Godfrey

Can you please tell me : Whats in the box , when unpacking :salute:

I mean this in regard to battery and loading device , as well as storage card . I have found nothing on the HASSELBLAD site and nothing in this thread .
I am waiting for my chrome version , and would like to know , what additional part I should order .
I prefer to always have a second battery with me as well as a spare storage card . Also I would like charge the battery outside the camera .
What cards are you using ? ? ? Thank you . Jürgen .

tcdeveau

Hi Godfrey

I mean this in regard to battery and loading device , as well as storage card . I have found nothing on the HASSELBLAD site and nothing in this thread .
I am waiting for my chrome version , and would like to know , what additional part I should order .
I prefer to always have a second battery with me as well as a spare storage card . Also I would like charge the battery outside the camera .
According to the B&H website, the following is in the box for the 907x special edition:

Hasselblad 907X Special Edition Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
907X Special Edition Camera Body
907X Body Cap and Back Cap
CFV II 50C Special Edition Digital Back
CFV II 50C Back Cap
Hasselblad High Capacity Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery for X System (7.27V, 3400mAh)
Battery Charger
USB 3.0 Type-C Cable (2.6')
Focusing Screen Mask
Flash Input Sync Cable
Flash Output Sync Cable
Exposure Cable 503
Shoulder Strap
Special Edition Stickers
Limited 1-Year Warranty

With the chrome edition, the contents may be different....the dual battery charger for the X system (which I assume will also work for CFVII batteries) is a great X system accessory that doesn't come stock. Looking forward to more details on the chrome edition.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you .
In the meantime I have found similar information , not as extensive as above .
This info should be found on the HASSELBLAD site .
But it answered my question for the battery and charger . but not for the SD-CARD (16 , 32 , 64 GB)

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey

The Hasselblad 907x Special Edition user manual is available for download from the Hasselblad website and includes all the specifics of what's included in the box, as well as the BHPhoto listing that tcdeveau listed. Here's the page in the manual:

page12.jpg

I recommend downloading the 907x Special Edition user manual AND the CFVII 50c user manual. Together, they address the capabilities of both the complete 907x camera and of the CFVII 50c back for use with other bodies in great detail.

To charge batteries outside of the camera, you need to buy the optional "Hasselblad Battery Charging Hub for X System". This enables charging one or two batteries simultaneously external to the camera and isn't too horridly expensive ($155). It comes with a second USB-C to USB A type cable and power supply, interchangeable with the ones that come with the camera. The battery for the 907x is indeed the same battery for the CFVII and also for the X1D and X1DII cameras.

(Personally, I always like to have three batteries, number them, and use them in rotation. That way I can have one battery in use, one ready to be dropped in and fully charged, and one on charge at any given time. The dual charger makes this a piece of cake... I bought one additional battery with the camera, and added one more when I ordered the dual charger. :))

My camera came with a Lexar Pro 128G, 1667x card in it; this isn't listed as an "in the box" component but it was there. I have two more of these that I originally purchased for my Leica SL, as well as four Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G cards of similar performance. They all work beautifully, although I have to say a single 128G is more than I've ever filled in a single shooting session. The 907x/CVFII 50c has two slots and lets you organize which files go to which slots in the usual ways.

The other things I've bought for the 907x include:
  • "Hasselblad Release Cord X for X1D-50c Camera" ($80) - Got that with the camera too.
  • Peak Design "Leash" neck strap and wrist strap, three anchors (I had this stuff in stock).
  • Peak Design Arca-Swiss-compatible camera plate (that I leave on the 907x most of the time. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a camera plate that is custom for the 907x's thin body with its grip locating dowel receptacle..)
  • Fotodiox Pro lens mount adapters for Leica R and M lenses
  • XCD 21mm f/4 lens (Again, purchased with the camera)
  • XCD 45mm f/4 P lens
  • B+W 62mm "wide angle" lens hood (for the 45mm lens)
  • 62mm to Series VII step-down ring (for using the Leica ELPRO VIIa/b close up lenses on the 45P lens)
  • Apple USB-C/Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 cable (for use with 2018 - iPad Pro 11" 1T device or 2018 Mac mini)
  • Hasselblad XV Adapter and Hasselblad XH Bracket (for use of my V system lenses without the 500CM body)

Quite the laundry list, eh? :D
G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you very much Godfrey . Your post is very helpful :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: .
So all I need now is the 907X in chrome . My dealer could not give me a date of delivery yet .
But I can sort out what else to order .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I now have the 907x / CFV II 50 c user manual . It comes from cdn.hasselblad.com
That guide is far better written than the old CFV50 users guide .
It is not mentioned on the german HASSELBLAD site .

Godfrey

I now have the 907x / CFV II 50 c user manual . It comes from cdn.hasselblad.com
That guide is far better written than the old CFV50 users guide .
It is not mentioned on the german HASSELBLAD site .
I downloaded the manuals, and Phocus, through the Hasselblad USA website, as you would expect since I live in California... :)

G

Godfrey

My walks continue: I've been shooting a good bit and processing slowly, playing with various ideas using the Hasselblad 907x and CFVII 50c back, along with the 500CM and the same back. It's the only way I learn things.

I did my walk with the CVFII on the 500CM with Planar 80 a week or two back, and have been walking with the 907x and 45P lens this past week. Here are two walk pix I like. :)

Poppies - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 500CM/CVFII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*

Stone Unicorn - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45mm f/4 P

In the course of swapping lenses, backs, experimentation, I found on yesterday's walk pix a nice big bit of schmutz had gotten onto the sensor. It barely shows up at lens openings under f/5.6, is crystal clear at f/16. I took the back off, took out my Giottos Rocket blower, and with one puff the sensor is completely clean again. Whew! Also, I selected all the frames I made yesterday in LR and tapped the spot with the spotting tool: it's removed. Some of them need a little editing work, but overall it shows me that for my use I don't really need to do much more than normal care and diligence in swapping lenses and back with this system.

Be well, stay sane, keep on going!

G