The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Alexg

AFAIK the cameras are assembled and shipped from Sweden. The CFVII 50c back states "Made in Sweden" on the bottom of the back. The X1D and X1D II are also assembled in Sweden (they say "Handmade in Sweden" on top of the body), and the H-system cameras are also assembled in Sweden.

The XCD lenses are made by Nittoh in Japan. The HC/HCD lenses may be made by Fuji but I don't know. They were at one point I think.

Some of the X-system accessories are made in China. At least the dual charging battery hub package says authorized by Hasselblad and made by DJI. DJI has some ownership stake in Hasselblad, but the extent of the DJI/Hasselblad relationship is really only known by those inside the respective organizations.

Here is a tour of the Hasselblad factory in Sweden: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16977522/hasselblad-camera-factory-tour
Appreciate the explanation...I was not sure as I read many comments- mostly to no avail! I am familiar with Nittoh in (Suwa) Japan, well respected manufacturer/developer of quality optical glass for many years that at one point (perhaps - still) of strong relationship with Nikon. Anyway, thank you.

Godfrey

My XV Adapter returned from Hasselblad USA Service today—unchanged as expected, but still working just fine with two of my three V system lenses. It still doesn't work with my 21mm and 52mm extension tubes, which is a loss for me since I use those with the 80 and 120 Makro lens. But then I thought, "Wait a minute. All the bayonet latch does is prevent the extension tube from turning and falling out of the bayonet flange..." and in a jiffy had a little swatch of artist's tape locking the shorter extension tube in place on the XV Adapter. Now I can use a lens on that or the other extension tube and lens as well.

Until such time as Hasselblad sends me a revised XV Adapter that latches properly with all their legacy lenses and tubes, this will do.

So I then started playing with and testing with the two extension tubes using the 80 and 120 lenses to get a feel for maximum magnification, imaging qualities, and working space. My two tubes together with the 80mm, set to its minimum focus distance, nets 1.1:1 magnification and images superbly across the frame. The 120mm setup the same way nets 1:1.41, again with fantastic clarity and evenness of illumination.

Hasselblad's Zeiss lenses have always been a cut above. I'm so glad I kept all of this ancient equipment; I'd thought of offing it more than once.

Tomorrow some photos. :D

onwards! G

Godfrey

Godfrey, are your ex tubes later ones? If not why not try those.
Because I'm working with what I have for the present. If I were to buy new extension tubes, I'd likely want to buy X mount tubes (there are two available) but I already have these. If I were to buy new V system extension tubes, I'd have to have a way to determine how to tell what "later ones" looked like and find them since there are no serial numbers that I am aware of... :)

Here's a snap of the setup...
Slightly greater than life size with the Planar 80/2.8 T* (mm scale, full frame width, cropped vertical as uninteresting):

The 907x + XV Adapter + 2x extension tubes + Planar 80/2.8 T*:

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Is anyone here waiting for the 907x chrome version ? No rumors for delivery date ?
Here some news for the CFV II 50c chrome version .

I got it with an e-mail from the Linhof Studio in GB .
It looks as if the CFV back and the 907x can be bought seperately .
Please note , that the prices are just estimated .

Hasselblad CFV II 50c Digital Back & 907x Body
Our waiting list for the much talked about Hasselblad CFV II 50c digital back continues to grow. We were pleased to hear this week that Hasselblad intend to go full steam ahead with marketing for the CFV II 50c in August with supply in October.
We have a priority order already set up with Hasselblad and we anticipate to get a substantial quantity from the UK allocation. As soon as we can, we will arrange an open day with the new back which will be seen not only on the classic V series but on view cameras from Linhof, Cambo and Alpa.
The price point of course is one of the main reasons this digital back has so much interest. It is still estimated the CFV 50c MkII will be £4500+vat and the 907X body approximately £800+vat.

gnat

Here some news for the CFV II 50c chrome version .

I got it with an e-mail from the Linhof Studio in GB .
It looks as if the CFV back and the 907x can be bought seperately .
Please note , that the prices are just estimated .

Hasselblad CFV II 50c Digital Back & 907x Body
Our waiting list for the much talked about Hasselblad CFV II 50c digital back continues to grow. We were pleased to hear this week that Hasselblad intend to go full steam ahead with marketing for the CFV II 50c in August with supply in October.
We have a priority order already set up with Hasselblad and we anticipate to get a substantial quantity from the UK allocation. As soon as we can, we will arrange an open day with the new back which will be seen not only on the classic V series but on view cameras from Linhof, Cambo and Alpa.
The price point of course is one of the main reasons this digital back has so much interest. It is still estimated the CFV 50c MkII will be £4500+vat and the 907X body approximately £800+vat.

So ~$1000USD cheaper than the special edition assuming simple currency conversions is the only difference between countries.

I won't lose sleep over it as I hate waiting and the wife (owner of the camera) likes the all black look anyway. "Happy wife..." :salute:

Godfrey

So ~$1000USD cheaper than the special edition assuming simple currency conversions is the only difference between countries.

I won't lose sleep over it as I hate waiting and the wife (owner of the camera) likes the all black look anyway. "Happy wife..." :salute:
But hey, you'll be missing that little plaque on the side of the 907x special edition... That's worth a thousand bucks, eh? LOL!

Honestly, I like the black, and the chrome too. And I'm glad I ordered the Special Edition last July because I already have it and am enjoying using it immensely.

In the long run, the extra money really doesn't matter ... I'm not going to sell it any time in the foreseeable future and I don't care whether the back and body match with the 500CM. I have film backs with both finishes already, and I have both black and chrome bodies (and black and chrome lenses...!). It's equipment to make photographs with—Hasselblads to me have always been super quality, rather industrial appearing cameras, not pretty things to ooh and aah over.

:D

G

Godfrey

Getting a feel for my V system Hasselblad lenses on the 907x using the XV Adapter now.

My lovely old Sonnar 150/4 is 1967 issue and has a number of issues. It's hardly worth the cost of repair. I was thinking to 'replace' it with a CF Sonnar 150/4 or 180/4 when I find I'm using it a little more, although this ancient lens is still a fine performer.

Hasselblad 907x + C Sonnar 150mm f/4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/6

Then again, it still makes beautiful photographs, and elevates a simple office fan to a different level. :D

G

Godfrey

Okay, so you remember this setup from a few posts up-thread:

Hasselblad 907x + XV Adapter + 52 and 21mm extension tubes + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*

It made this photo:

Tiny Flower - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XV Adapter + Planar C 80mm f/2.8 T*
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 6 seconds

The flower is really very teensy, only a few mm long:

enjoy! G

Godfrey

Thanks for the likes on the previous photo!

---
Made on one of the walks about the neighborhood...

Almost Escher - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45mm f/4 P
ISO 1600 @ f/8 @ 1/100

Very glad I bought the XCD 45P ... it's a very handy, versatile lens.

enjoy! G

Hausen

I took my kit out with the XCD120 over the weekend. This rock formation is at Cosy Nook Bay which is close to the southernmost point of New Zealand. There was a big swell running. Next stop from here is Antarctica. I really like the 120.

Attachments

Godfrey

I'm not making many new photos right now because of my shoulder surgery, but I did test a couple of new extension tubes in conjunction with the V system 120 and 80mm lenses. I can now get up to 1.1:1 magnification with the 120 and 1.5:1 with the 80mm. The setup looks like a bazooka with a box on the back, but who cares about appearances? :)

G

jng

Godfrey,

I also have a stack of extension tubes: 21, 32 and 55 mm (the first and last of the older design), which I often use in combination. I like your bazooka analogy but lately have been trending toward accordians: just as I was about to sell my pristine 135/5.6 Makro-Planar kit (complete with lens, auto-bellows and lens shade), I rediscovered how convenient it is to use the bellows to dial in the desired amount of magnification. Here's a pic of my 120/5.6 S-Planar on the auto-bellows and X1D. Operation of the rail is not so smooth, so here I used a Kirk macro rail for focusing and stacking.

IMG_2064.JPG

The resulting image was previously posted here - I wasn't paying too much attention to the magnification but guess that it was in the range of 1.5~2:1.

I hope your recovery from surgery goes smoothly.

John

Godfrey

Thank you! My shoulder seems to be progressing well at this point... I'll see the doctor for my follow-up early Friday morning, but it just feels good so far. :)

That's a nice setup!

I thought of buying a bellows unit, they're not that expensive, but I already had two tubes (21 and 55mm) and adding two more (both 32) gives me all the flexibility I needed along with the 120 Makro-Planar for just $90. Tubes are less likely to collect dust compared to bellows as well, so "good enough" does fine for my purposes at this time.

G

Godfrey

A few photos taken on a walk some weeks ago ...

All: Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45mm f/4 P

Enjoy! :)

G

Joe BLP

Thanks for all the photos and great insight Godfrey. Does the CFV II 50c have GPS built in? The initial Hasselblad promotions and the current B&H listing seem to suggest it does, but the current Hasselblad documentation doesn’t seem to list it as a feature. Thanks!

Well, someone has to start this thread... :D

Battery 1 is charged. Battery 2 is almost charged. I've done a trivial poke and prod of the various controls and menus. Gods, this is a beautiful piece of equipment!

Hasselblad 907x Special Edition + XCD 21mm f/4

With the 21mm lens, it's a bit bulky, not overly heavy, and feels just right in my hands on balance and control organization.

Photos from the 907x to follow soon.

G

Godfrey

Thanks for all the photos and great insight Godfrey. Does the CFV II 50c have GPS built in? The initial Hasselblad promotions and the current B&H listing seem to suggest it does, but the current Hasselblad documentation doesn’t seem to list it as a feature. Thanks!
You're welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying the ramblings. :)
GPS: The 907x/CFVII 50c does not have GPS in it; the X1DII 50c does.

G

Joe BLP

Thanks for the quick reply. Bummer as I was really hoping B&H was right. The original X1D missed it and I have the external GPS now. Not a show stopper though, I’m looking forward to getting a 907x anyway.

You're welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying the ramblings. :)
GPS: The 907x/CFVII 50c does not have GPS in it; the X1DII 50c does.

G