The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Godfrey

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and can't sleep on my right side. Sleeping on my back at a semi-reclined position means that I wake up after about two-three hours and have to get up, walk around, and sit upright for a bit before I can get back to sleep. I've been going through this cycle once or twice per night.

Last night I left the desk lamp in my office on when I went to bed at midnight. At 3:00 I awakened and this quiet, very low light emanated through the bedroom door from the hallway. It was beautiful; I had to make a photograph.

Light at Three AM - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x - XCD 21mm f/4
ISO 400 @ f/4.8 @ 32 sec

I set the camera up on a tripod and leveled it in the office so as not to awaken my partner. Quietly tiptoed back into the bedroom and place it where I thought would work, pointed it in the right direction.

Hmm. What exposure? It was too dark for anything to show up on the LCD at all. I made an exposure on A mode and got nearly perfect exposure with the e-shutter: 32 seconds long. And then I realized the second problem: how to focus it. Hmm. hmm.

I went back to the office and found my little pencil beam flashlight, shone it on the doorknob, and manually focused the camera. Reframed just a little by turning the camera and tripod just a little to the left. Made a second exposure. Perfect.

As I step out of the bedroom carrying the camera and tripod, I hear this noise from behind me. "Go back to sleep," I said. Noise ceased.

Onwards.

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Hi

Is the 907x and back weather sealed, I couldn't find any information about on the Hasselblad site?
Yes. There is good weather sealing around all the openings in the body and back, and all the XCD lenses are weather-sealed as well. Even the 907x body back-cap and CFVII 50c back's front-cap have sealing ridges. :)

G

Godfrey

Another set of photos from an isolation walk around the neighborhood.

All: Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45mm f/4 P

I think I made these about four weeks ago. It takes a while to get to all the exposures! :)

enjoy, G

Godfrey

A little tree grows on my patio:

Sapling - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45mm f/4P
ISO 1600 @ f/4 @ 1/200

Enjoy!
G

Hausen

Wow, nice shots! What lens / filter setup is this? I see a CPL in there and I'm guessing ND of some kind?
The Lake pic is the 21mm F11 45s and the Waterfall pic is the 120mm F11 256s. I have been using the Benro FM100M2 ND kit which works really well if not in direct sunlight. Then you have to use the little lens/cage tents which can be PITA if you are in a precarious position.

Godfrey

I am readying another little set of 907x photos to post, but I took this one yesterday morning and thought you'd like it...

Salt & Pepper - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XV Adapter + 32mm extension tube + Makro-Planar CF 120mm f/4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/10

They're part of my kitchen art ... I don't like many knick-knacks, but these shakers are a nice little sculpture. :D

This was the capture setup:

The 120 macro lens doesn't quite focus close enough, so I threw a 32mm extension tube in to bring the focusing range down to what I needed. Auto-exposure did an almost perfect job ... I think I pushed up the exposure by .5 EV and tweaked the curve around the white figure to separate it from the background a little better.

enjoy!
G

nameBrandon

I am readying another little set of 907x photos to post, but I took this one yesterday morning and thought you'd like it...

Salt & Pepper - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XV Adapter + 32mm extension tube + Makro-Planar CF 120mm f/4
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/10

They're part of my kitchen art ... I don't like many knick-knacks, but these shakers are a nice little sculpture. :D

This was the capture setup:

The 120 macro lens doesn't quite focus close enough, so I threw a 32mm extension tube in to bring the focusing range down to what I needed. Auto-exposure did an almost perfect job ... I think I pushed up the exposure by .5 EV and tweaked the curve around the white figure to separate it from the background a little better.

enjoy!
G

Awesome! Love seeing the behind the scenes shot. I bought a few macro adapters this weekend but no 32.. I wasn't paying attention and I nabbed 2 55mm's and 2 21mm's.. :) I guess I can always stack 2 21's together if I need less than 55 and more than 21..

Godfrey

Here's another little set of 907x + XCD 45P photos. I made these on a walk somewhere between the middle May and the beginning of June date (just before I hurt my shoulder ... aargh).

Remove Wrikles - Santa Clara 2020

Pool - Santa Clara 2020

Corner and Wall - Santa Clara 2020

Chalk Art - Santa Clara 2020

No Soliciting - Santa Clara 2020

Tree Bark #193 - Santa Clara 2020

Fence with Rotten Picket - Santa Clara 2020

Enjoy!

G

SrMphoto

Really like the 907x. It is more convenient to use on a tripod than the X1DII.

907x + XCD 120mm @ f/8.0 (focus stack of 64 images)

BLS.jpg

tcdeveau

Really like the 907x. It is more convenient to use on a tripod than the X1DII.

907x + XCD 120mm @ f/8.0 (focus stack of 64 images)

View attachment 150501
Definitely agree. On a tripod, I've found I also prefer the 907x as it gives better access to the remote port and the memory card slots than the X1D with an L-bracket in place.

For my own uses, handheld is a different story though and I prefer the X1D handheld.

nathantw

Arctic Valley, Alaska.

Shot with

907x CFV II 50c + 80mm F1.9 / 21mm F4.0

Snow in May is pretty normal in Alaska. Slopes are empty due to the Pandemic. Stay strong everyone !
Arctic Valley was where I learned to ski. I had never done it before and my friends put skis on me and showed me how to stop, then they took off and let me fend for myself. The tow rope was terrible because I kept falling. Little kids thought I was such a novice. LOL It was nice to see photos of the place I hadn't set eyes on for about 40 years. Thanks!

On a different note, I just saw a CFV II 50c and 907x in stock on the big online store. I clicked out of it and then went back not more than 5 minutes later and it suddenly became out of stock! Argh! I always said that if you see something you really want, get it right then and there or it might disappear. The proof is in the pudding.

Godfrey

Some nice new work being posted! Thank you!

I've not been out shooting with the 907x for a few weeks (at least!), but still have some photos to post from it. I'll get to them soon.

However, I was looking for something in a drawer and came upon a couple of old converter lenses from an Olympus E-10/20: A WCON-08b and TCON-14b. They have a 62mm threaded fitting, same size as the XCD 45P lens, so for a goof I fitted them and took a couple of test photos.

They were designed for a MUCH smaller sensor (5/8" IIRC) camera so I didn't really think they'd be great on the 907x, but they do provide a not-so-useful additional wide increment and a slightly-more-useful tele increment in FoV change, and they're quite sharp on center and out to about the 1/4-in mark on the frame. The effect of their blurring is interesting too.

I'll likely never do anything with them, but it's fun to try things and see what I get. :)

G