Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Well, someone has to start this thread...

Battery 1 is charged. Battery 2 is almost charged. I've done a trivial poke and prod of the various controls and menus. Gods, this is a beautiful piece of equipment!

Hasselblad 907x Special Edition + XCD 21mm f/4

With the 21mm lens, it's a bit bulky, not overly heavy, and feels just right in my hands on balance and control organization.

Photos from the 907x to follow soon.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Hubba hubba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    ... this is a beautiful piece of equipment!
    Hard not to agree.

Very remarkable how well the CVF-50c II also looks and works on old Hasselblad cameras.

However, the attached anniversary sticker "On the Moon since - 1969- " may invite a few caustic remarks.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty camera! Looking forward to seeing pictures taken with it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Hard not to agree.

Very remarkable how well the CVF-50c II also looks and works on old Hasselblad cameras.

However, the attached anniversary sticker "On the Moon since - 1969- " may invite a few caustic remarks.
    It is lovely.

Anyone who's going to make caustic comments about the commemorative sticker on the camera goes on my ignore list. I'm an ex-NASA person, I don't even want to see such dunderheads.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey thats a fine looking Weapon
    Mine arrives Monday and first thing I will do is go shoot at NASA down the street...

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Godfrey!
    Looking forward to your posts regarding this setup.

Best to you,
    Darr

PS: I like your special edition; it is totally Hasselblad style.
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a great piece of kit from H/B.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks beautiful, but how does it work?!

We know the image quality will be great with same proven sensor and basic innards as the X1d et al. I'm interested in AF accuracy (I've read many reports of late about the X1d II AF being something of a lottery in some situations,) and ease of use / haptics.

I know many people will use this handheld with the screen flipped back, so I also wonder about how visible it is in bright light etc.

Questions, questions, questions...

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have convinced my wife. Will be ordering Monday. Looks gorgeous. perfect kit with my XCD21 and with my ACTUS G.
    David
    Queenstown, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great looking and non-mainstream. That's what I like the most.
    Regarding the quality there's nothing to fear, that sensor is great even nowadays, we already know it very well.

Being an owner of the CFV I 50c I'm happy for you and all the future owners of the II version.

Congrats!
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey, I'm sure that you are a nice chap, very kind, a wonderful photographer...but there is something deeply unsettling about this thread

I do not need another camera
    I do not need.....

Well, someone has to start this thread...

Battery 1 is charged. Battery 2 is almost charged. I've done a trivial poke and prod of the various controls and menus. Gods, this is a beautiful piece of equipment!

Hasselblad 907x Special Edition + XCD 21mm f/4

With the 21mm lens, it's a bit bulky, not overly heavy, and feels just right in my hands on balance and control organization.

Photos from the 907x to follow soon.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    Godfrey, I'm sure that you are a nice chap, very kind, a wonderful photographer...but there is something deeply unsettling about this thread

I do not need.....

I didn't either. But ... to heck with it. "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess."

ANYWAY, I've been so busy this week dealing with another matter (completely unrelated to photography) that I've only barely begun to study and understand this camera. I'm experimenting first with just the setup as you see it above plus a tripod.

While I love shooting the SWC (same form factor, same FoV, etc) hand held, I also tend to use these types of cameras on a tripod the majority of the time. A pair of PD anchor buttons on the neck strap lugs lets me use the both the PD neck straps and their wrist strap as apropos, and remove either for use on the tripod.

I found that I have a Benro camera plate that is just about the same size and length as the Acratech plates I have on my 500CM bodies. Its thin rubber feet compress perfectly when fitted and hold it to the body securely, without any twisting or damage. It juts forward of the body by a quarter of an inch as I fit it, and snaps onto my A-S quick-release tripod clamp, the RRS lever lock clamp, and Peak Design travel tripod head's clamp securely (I removed one of the anti-slide lock screws in the PD tripod head to accommodate it, just like I do with the other Hassies). I could probably use the PD plate on all three of the above and not have to remove the anti-slide screw; haven't tried that yet (it's on another camera at present and I don't feel like taking it off there; need to get a second one) but it would be thinner and less obtrusive. The Benro plate blocks removing and interchanging the back so it isn't quite ideal ... the 907x body is so short that I don't think there's any plate that isn't going to be the same yet gives good purchase on the body and clamp. The securing bolt on this plate is 4mm hex, same as the larger of the two hex keys in the PD tripod tool, so removing and replacing the plate is not something terribly inconvenient.

Beyond that, I'm still learning and experimenting. I might carry the camera on my Saturday morning walk today, presuming it's not raining out...

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 7th March 2020 at 13:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post

I do not need.....

"Need"?!! "Need"?!! Mike, be forewarned. Using the word "need" can result in your being banned from Dante's Inferno. We don't utter that word here. Our spouses or partners may use that word, especially when new shiny objects enter the house, but they are to be ignored or distracted. Just sayin'.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, drop-dead, gorgeous. Enjoy and I too will be very interested to see the resulting photographs.

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Joe, I needed your post, I'll be chuckling all day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    "Need"?!! "Need"?!! Mike, be forewarned. Using the word "need" can result in your being banned from Dante's Inferno. We don't utter that word here. Our spouses or partners may use that word, especially when new shiny objects enter the house, but they are to be ignored or distracted. Just sayin'.

Joe
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know any links to proper reviews / tests yet?

Asking for a friend...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the attraction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few first snaps with the Hasselblad 907x and XCD 21mm lens. None of these are "great photos", rather they're me figuring out how to hold and use the controls on this machine. I've finished reading the instruction manual: The controls are all cleanly laid out and sensible, both for use on a tripod, use as a hand-held quick shooter, or use as the back on a 500CM. All three of these were made before I'd read a word of the manual and the camera was very easy to figure out even without reading...

Me, Taken with Hasselblad 907x
    Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
    ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/100
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b81030fd_o.jpg

I handed the camera to my partner (not a photographer). He aimed and pressed the button. It did pretty darn well as a snapshooter's camera!

ISO 3200 @ f/4 @ 1/800 + 3EV in processing
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...789355e4_o.jpg

In this exposure, I wanted to see how underexposure would affect the quality of the image. Seems to handle +3EV @ ISO 3200 nicely.

ISO 3200 @ f/4 @ 1/100
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7760d6de_o.jpg

I adjusted the exposure in-camera before capturing this frame.

All three of these were made at f/4 as I was experimenting with focus zone. I'm very happy to see that at f/4, I can get a nice little bit of OOF in the background, the advantage of working with a larger format and an ultra wide lens without need for ultra fast speed.

Lightroom Classic sucked all of these in without any complaint and did very nice adjustments. Hasselblad raw files from this sensor are very malleable and easy to correct. Next download, I'll play with Hasselblad's own software, Phocus.

The image presented here in the forum is based on a 1600x1600 pixel, quarter resolution image. Click on the photo to get to the Flickr page or on the URL below it to look at the half-resolution image (3000x3000) stored on Flickr.com.

enjoy!
    G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on that beauty.

I wonder if the 907X base plate is like the SWC or 503CW. If it is then I have a plate which fits into the bodies and works extremely well with no movement on the Smart Flex L which I am selling at around half of retail. Also have a plate for the Phase XF body too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Congrats on that beauty.

I wonder if the 907X base plate is like the SWC or 503CW. If it is then I have a plate which fits into the bodies and works extremely well with no movement on the Smart Flex L which I am selling at around half of retail. Also have a plate for the Phase XF body too.
    The 907x body has no 'foot' or baseplate like the SWC and 500 series bodies do. The base of the camera is quite narrow and has electrical contacts for the accessory grip (soon to come) along with a locating peg hole and the tripod mounting screw hole.

The Benro PU50 plate I've screwed onto it sits partially on the base of the back and feels very solid, like it was a built in piece of the camera.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, can you please describe a bit about the use of the camera at waist level with the rear screen flipped out? Easy to see with bifocals, sturdiness of the screen flip-mount, reflections, ease of magnification, etc?

Thanks...gregg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glaiben View Post
    Godfrey, can you please describe a bit about the use of the camera at waist level with the rear screen flipped out? Easy to see with bifocals, sturdiness of the screen flip-mount, reflections, ease of magnification, etc?

Thanks...gregg
    I've only wandered about the condo and patio with it so far. I wear progressive lenses myself, have no problem seeing images and controls on the screen (unless the sunlight is blasting it out of range ... like any LCD, it needs a hood for that circumstance; I could see making a little black cardboard chimney to shade it when working in harsh sunlight). The flip seems sturdy and secure (of course, Hasselblad recommends folding the screen down to its rest position for transport of the camera). Focusing magnification is a simple double-tap on the screen, double tap again to go back to normal view.

Like an SWC or a 500CM, it feels solid, precise, all of a piece. The ergonomics of the essential controls are in traditional Hasselblad style, which I find very comfortable. The more I play with it, the more interesting ideas and shooting situations float into my head. The quick snaps I've been making all look superb with very little fooling around in Lightroom at the default raw conversion spec.

My first impressions border on a rave review, but I don't want to sound like Steve Huff...

G

Post Thanks / Like

My first impressions border on a rave review, but I don't want to sound like Steve Huff...

G
    ha ha..

Thanks for sharing. My order arrives tomorrow, have been waiting a long time like everyone else.

Any impressions on using the back with 500CM? Also, you mentioned the grip as 'soon to come'. I had seen one artist impression of the grip some time last year, never heard anything on it since. Do you have any news on that?

Best,

dexmus

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dexmus View Post
    Any impressions on using the back with 500CM? Also, you mentioned the grip as 'soon to come'. I had seen one artist impression of the grip some time last year, never heard anything on it since. Do you have any news on that?
    On the grip, all I can say is that I saw the same thing at announcement time and the contacts, locating peg hole, etc, to support it are in place on the body. I'm sure it will surface soon, but use of the term "soon" is a judgement call.

I haven't gotten to using the back on the 500CM yet, nor have I experimented with the 907x used in electronic shutter mode yet. I'm tired of putzing about at my desk at the moment and am heading outdoors for a little exercise now. I might carry a camera, but likely not. Just want to walk ... or go to the gym.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Wwwhat? You didn't see the Anniversary sticker on the side?

I say it's a pretty neat addition for Hasselblad users. It's Dante-approved.

Well, thankfully there are other medium format digital camera systems here for you, Doug.

--Dante
    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

Coming soon: "The Devil's Workshop"---Medium Format Digital Photography Workshops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Alighieri View Post

Well, thankfully there are other medium format digital camera systems here for you, Doug.

--Dante
    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

As a lover of photography and medium format in particular, I can see the appeal even though I doubt that I will ever own a 907X. Lovely to see new things like this coming out and being enjoyed by others. Most of all, I take pleasure from the positive vibe on this thread, based on people doing what they love, having fun and (mainly) taking pleasure in others' enjoyment.
    Last edited by Ed Hurst; 8th March 2020 at 18:03.
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have relented, I paid the deposit this morning. Sounds like I will have the only one n NZ. My wife isn't happy so I will have to sell some stuff to placate her.
    David
    Queenstown, NZ.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    I have relented, I paid the deposit this morning. Sounds like I will have the only one n NZ. My wife isn't happy so I will have to sell some stuff to placate her.
    A happy wife.... a happy life.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are only so many cameras one can own and I think Godfrey is demonstrating a most important thing as far as enjoyment goes - pick a camera you want to use and makes you happy using it.
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Regards attaching the 907x to a tripod:
    In addition to that illustration (from the instruction manual), this is how I've configured mine with the Benro PU50 camera plate:

This plate has about the same dimensions as the Acratech plate that fits the Hasselblad 500 system bodies, which makes it easy to swap the 907x and a 500CM onto the same tripod setup if you're working with both cameras, with minimal change to the setup.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... So it can shoot any adapted lens then with a universal electronic shutter?
    Yes.

Flowers – Santa Clara 2020
    Hasselblad 907x + Leica Elmar-R 180mm f/4 + 2x Extender-R
    ISO 3200 @ f/11 @ 1/5

Shooting setup:

There are, of course, drawbacks to the electronic shutter. But once you understand what it does, and can do, you can make some nice photographs with any lens you can find an adapter for.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One more test/example for now, this time using the electronic shutter, a Fotodiox XCD to Leica M mount adapter, and the classic Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 lens.

Jumble on the Bookcase
    Hasselblad 907x SE + Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2
    ISO 3200 @ f/2 @ 1/40

DoF is vanishingly tight at this focus distance with a 50mm lens @ f/2. You can see it drop off outside of about a 3/4 inch in-focus zone...

fun fun fun!

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Alighieri View Post

--Dante
    Dante...... I think you and Doug are destined to become lifetime buddies....

Cheers....

Victor B

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the camera...Beautiful!!

I put it on the 500CM, pretty good integration - it recognized the 500CM body automatically. Here is a quick snap from the backyard, using 500CM body, 80 2.8 lens and the CFV-II-50C back...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Dante...... I think you and Doug are destined to become lifetime buddies....

Cheers....

Victor B

Truth be told, there is a little bit of Dante in all of us---and hence, all patrons here are lifetime---nay, eternal inferno buddies.

Doug misses me---he's just not ready to admit it yet. That's why he keeps checking back into this forum.

The Fuji GFX could be calling for Doug or maybe he'll surprise me with the eventual "IQ5" sticker on the side of a digital back.

But he does miss me.

--Dante
    Last edited by Dante Alighieri; 10th March 2020 at 04:19.
    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

Coming soon: "The Devil's Workshop"---Medium Format Digital Photography Workshops
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for Godfrey, or anyone else who has received the camera. There is a small button on the side (called Shift button) that, per the manual, is supposed to switch the function of the scroll wheel (around the shutter) from Aperture to Shutter speed. Is that working for you?

For me, scroll wheel is only able to change the Aperture and the side button press is not doing anything. I did make sure that the camera is set to M mode and not one of the other priority modes.

Best,

Abhi
    Last edited by dexmus; 9th March 2020 at 21:03.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dexmus View Post
    I have a question for Godfrey, or anyone else who has received the camera. There is a small button on the side (called Shift button) that, per the manual, is supposed to switch the function of the scroll wheel (around the shutter) from Aperture to Shutter speed. Is that working for you?

For me, scroll wheel is only able to change the Aperture and the side button press is not doing anything. I did make sure that the camera is set to M mode and not one of the other priority modes.
    I had the same problem until I understood how it works. You press and hold the button while you turn the control dial ...

In M mode, it switches the dial from setting aperture to shutter time.
    In A mode, it switches the dial from setting aperture to EV Compensation.
    etc...

Once you get it and practice a little bit, it becomes natural and easy to control exposure in all modes without having to touch the LCD for speedy shooting. Great for hand-held shooting at waist level with the LCD flipped horizontal!

G

Post Thanks / Like

Truth be told, there is a little bit of Dante in all of us---and hence, all patrons here are lifetime---nay, eternal inferno buddies.
    Well sentiment doesn’t work on me (previous HB 500cxi owner) and i’m brand agnostic but it has to be said that there seems something intrinsically ‘right’ about the camera in it’s packaging/size/looks and from the sounds of it usability that is quite attractive. something the likes of Fuji/Phase could maybe do with.
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

907X SE mOOn camera XCD 65mm
    First quick test shots to get a feel of camera. NASA-DARPA and a Airplane More to come...

NASA DARPA-2
    by tOny endieveri, on Flickr

mOOn camera 1st test_0239-2
    Last edited by phOtOny teXas; 10th March 2020 at 18:24.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I took the back off the 907x body and fitted it onto my black 500CM body. At first, I had the Distagon 50mm f/3.5 lens fitted ... The body had a microprism screen fitted and, wow, was that hard to focus! I switched the screen to a plain matte fresnel type screen and that was a lot easier. Then I switched that for a split image screen and with that, all focusing issues with the Distagon 50mm disappeared.

The CFVII 50c is superb to fit onto a classic Hasselblad 500CM. It automatically recognizes the camera and just works, no fuss and no funky setup or cable triggering to deal with. I made a couple of dozen exposures with the Distagon 50 and several are quite nice.

Then I decided to go for a longer lens test and fitted the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 to the body, and switched the plain ground glass screen back into place. WOW! Totally different feel to this lens ... The image snaps in and out of focus on the focusing screen with alacrity, the test exposures are instantly beautiful. This particular matte fresnel focusing screen has guidelines for SuperSlide format on it, which turns out to be just about an exact match to what the sensor when cropped square will see.

I made several really nice test shots with this setup, but I have to say this abstract of my Brompton bicycle just hits the numbers for me.

Brompton – Santa Clara 2020
    Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Makro-Planar 120mm f/4

The 907x/CFVII 50c is such a great kit, and the back is similarly a great kit if you have a 500CM as well!

Oh yes: Nearly forgot, this is the shooting configuration of the camera.

enjoy, G
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Todays eXperiment with the mOOn camera-907X SE

mOOn Hobby Control Tower 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the true spirit of "fun with", I received my kit yesterday (directly from Hasselblad) and was able to get outdoors (in the rain) this afternoon to test "proof of life".

Two "moon rocks", the CFV-II 50C/907X with the XCD 35-75mm zoom (forgive the iPhone snaps):

Behind the scene:

At 35mm:

At 75mm:

As you can see from the scene, the light was not bright and I was able to focus with no difficulty using the "flippy" rear LCD. I'll mount the CFV-II 50C back on the 503CW this weekend and see how that works. Happy so far.

Joe

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the true spirit of "fun with", I received my kit yesterday (directly from Hasselblad) and was able to get outdoors (in the rain) this afternoon to test "proof of life".

Two "moon rocks", the CFV-II 50C/907X with the XCD 35-75mm zoom (forgive the iPhone snaps):

Joe
    You know, the screen should slide on tracks up onto the top of the back. Maybe with a hood...

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see from the scene, the light was not bright and I was able to focus with no difficulty using the "flippy" rear LCD. I'll mount the CFV-II 50C back on the 503CW this weekend and see how that works. Happy so far.

Joe
    Congrats Joe!

Unrelated to the 907, but how does the 35-75 do with the triobal and Novoflex legs? Still no ETA on my lens but I’m curious about stability with those legs

Post Thanks / Like

907X mOOn camera XCD65mm
    I realize this is not typical Get DPI photography but I am using the 907X for helping with my vision of photography.
    I will leave the in-depth camera reviews to the more competent. I can say the 907X is the best user interface of any digital camera I have ever touched.

mOOn Hobby Control Tower 1
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phOtOny teXas View Post
    907X mOOn camera XCD65mm
    I realize this is not typical Get DPI photography but I am using the 907X for helping with my vision of photography.
    I will leave the in-depth camera reviews to the more competent. I can say the 907X is the best user interface of any digital camera I have ever touched.

mOOn Hobby Control Tower 1
    I applaud your originality.
    I like abstract art, and photography that ventures in it.

Best to you,
    Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe
    Congratulations Joe- use it in good health. Looks like a great evolution of the CFV line of backs providing a lot of amenity for those who own/use XCD and V lenses.

Cheers
    Pete
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone doesn't like the Aniversary sticker, I'll buy it from you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    I was reading your post about ordering the 907x, and you said your wife wasn’t happy so you will have to sell.....I immediately thought you would say that you were going to to have to sell your wife! After all, this is the Inferno.