The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

45 contax lens or wait for a 55

dseelig

Okay I can get a 45 contax lens brand new for essentially a 50 cron or get 900 bucks for my 50 cron. I want a 55 mm more but hard to get and getting a new 45 is not exactly bad so far I have a 35 and 80 for the contax . I defitnely more intrested in wide angles. Get the 45 brand new and wait till I can get a 55 or get the money and wait for a 55 . What do you guys think . David

carstenw

For digital or film? The 55 on digital is about a normal lens, whereas the 45 is a wide angle. The 55 is much less common, and I see them rarely. The 45 is easy and cheap to find.

D

ddk

Okay I can get a 45 contax lens brand new for essentially a 50 cron or get 900 bucks for my 50 cron. I want a 55 mm more but hard to get and getting a new 45 is not exactly bad so far I have a 35 and 80 for the contax . I defitnely more intrested in wide angles. Get the 45 brand new and wait till I can get a 55 or get the money and wait for a 55 . What do you guys think . David
This is something that you should decide by yourself, its mostly a question of fl otherwise not quality of IQ here. Yes, physically the 55mm is more compact but its also the slower lens.

Evanjoe610

David,

I have been hunting for a 55mm too. Its been a long time for my search. Consider this:
Buy the Contax 45mm because its BRAND NEW. Buy into at a later point, the MAM-1 adapter or the Novoflex Hasselblad to Contax 645 adapter. The Hasselblad 50mmF2.8 for the Focal plane camera is a sharp and fast lens. Granted that its not AF, but look at it from this perspective: at later point add on the 110mmF2.0 and the 180mm4.0 from the Hasselblad V system. Both lenses are widely available and are superb for what they are! In addition, the Hasselblad 60mm Distagon and 100mm Planar are very sharp too.

That way,, you also have an additional camera system as a backup - the Hasselblad V system!

Evan

A

andershald

Hi David.

Both the 45 and the 55 are great lenses. I recently had a chance to try the 55, and I cannot see any difference in quality between the two. The 45 is 2.8 and the 55 is 3.5. So I guess it depends on what you need, want, feel like. But getting a new 45, I think, is very interesting.

Anders