The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MaxMax is now offering monochrome-converted GFX 50R and 50S

rdeloe

Sample RAW and JPEG files are provided at the site, which is helpful. However, I'd like to see sample RAW files from a converted and unconverted camera of the same scene shot at the same time with the same lens.

Hopefully one of these days some kind soul who has a converted and unconverted GFX 50R will make some available! ;)

Oren Grad

Lloyd Chambers has posted stock D850 vs MaxMax D850M comparisons for his subscribers. If you've seen Leica M9 vs MM or M240 vs M246 comparisons, you've got the idea. To my eye the difference in subtlety of fine detail and in apparent acuity is substantial; one may or may not like the tonal scale. I expect the converted Fujis will behave similarly.

tcdeveau

This was a different conversion than the monochrome conversion subject to the thread.

Kens conversion by Kolari was a full-spectrum conversion. The cover glass on the sensor (that normally blocks UV and IR light) was replaced by a cover glass that passes UV and IR light. It still shoots and record color information and could act the same as a stock GFX with a UV/IR blocking filter on (sometimes called a “hot mirror”).

The MaxMax conversion is one where the color filter array on the actual sensor itself is stripped away. They can also replace the cover glass with the stock cover glass so that it is monochrome - visible light only, or can also put on a cover glass that passes UV and IR so that it is monochrome - UV/visible spectrum/IR capable.

I emailed MaxMax yesterday regarding conversions and they said you can send them your existing camera and they’ll do the monochrome - UV/visible light/IR conversion for $3500. Not cheap but cheaper than a P1 Achromatic, and not much different than a D850 monochrome that Lloyd chambers has written up recently.

I imagine the difference is the same or similar as the D850/D850 monochrom, Leica M/M Monochroms, or P1/P1 achromatic. More detail, more subtle tonal conversion, etc. of course it’s subjective - these types of differences are night and day to some, subtle and not worth it to others. You also lose the ability to change the color filters of the BW image conversion (yellow, orange, red, etc) in post and have to do it on the lens.

My understanding is there’s also another processing step in that the camera doesn’t know the RAW file is monochrome only, so you may have to convert the raw first with a program like monochrome to DNG or the like to get the most out of it. I’m more curious about the post-processing than image comparisons but hopefully someone gets around to it!

rdeloe

I imagine the difference is the same or similar as the D850/D850 monochrom, Leica M/M Monochroms, or P1/P1 achromatic. More detail, more subtle tonal conversion, etc. of course it’s subjective - these types of differences are night and day to some, subtle and not worth it to others. You also lose the ability to change the color filters of the BW image conversion (yellow, orange, red, etc) in post and have to do it on the lens.
I've been watching developments in monochrome cameras for a few years now. Each time I look into it again I do my own personal benefit-cost analysis. So far I've always concluded it's not worth it to me. I don't relish the prospect of carrying around filters again, and the benefits of being able to adjust channels in post are huge for me.

But I keep watching... And that's why I want to see some good side-by-side comparisons. I have noted a fair bit of magical thinking and confirmation bias among devotees. ;) Therefore, I need to see the alleged benefits for myself, on screen and in print. One of these days the benefit-cost ratio may flip.

My understanding is there’s also another processing step in that the camera doesn’t know the RAW file is monochrome only, so you may have to convert the raw first with a program like monochrome to DNG or the like to get the most out of it. I’m more curious about the post-processing than image comparisons but hopefully someone gets around to it!
That's correct. You need to process the file with a program like Monochrome2DNG before you bring it into whatever software you use to work on the files. I used to process my X-T2 RAFs with Iridient X Transformer to create DNGs before importing into Lightroom. The amount of effort is about the same (i.e., not a lot).

Oren Grad

My understanding is there’s also another processing step in that the camera doesn’t know the RAW file is monochrome only, so you may have to convert the raw first with a program like monochrome to DNG or the like to get the most out of it.
Strictly speaking, the problem is that the raw converter software doesn't know it's monochrome, and applying the usual conversion matrix that assumes RGGB with particular weightings can yield artifacts. But the practical implication is as you say - you need to do a pre-conversion step.

algrove

All meaningful comments here.

With my 50R I shoot in Acros-Red. Then once processing in C1 I select from the profile drop down list (which has 20 profiles to choose from) Monochrome-red so that when I process via the Levels Tool it will adjust as one would expect. Otherwise if you shot with the Acros profile and also process an image "as shot" then Levels will do nothing to the image from my experience.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hmm, $3500 to convert an existing camera? I must resist ... although I have been wondering what to do with my ‘spare’ well used GFX50S after upgrading to the GFX100 and also buying Ken’s full spectrum GFX50S outfit. :facesmack: :bugeyes:

kdphotography

H ... although I have been wondering what to do with my ‘spare’ well used GFX50S after upgrading to the GFX100 and also buying Ken’s full spectrum GFX50S outfit. :facesmack: :bugeyes:
The answer is obvious. GFX50S + GFX100 + GFXS Full Spectrum = Range Rover + Jeep Wrangler + _______________ ? It's gotta be an AMG G Wagon to fill in the blank.

:thumbup:

JaapD

Quickly jumping in this post…

For those considering taking the monochrome route please aware that you’re not able to apply the chromatic lens corrections anymore. In practice you might lose more in the corners than you win by going monochrome.

… and even more quickly leaving this website…

Regards,
Jaap.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think I'll stick with FP4+. :cool:

:ROTFL::watch: I didn’t want to get into the film vs digital discussion for B&W. I’d shoot my Rollei 6x6 6008 if shooting film. Damn those rollei batteries though :chug: That said, I could buy a lot of replacement batteries for the Rollei or film for my Leica M3 for $3500!

Last edited: