The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XT + Schneider BR Lenses (and other MAM645 lenses)

Mexecutioner

Very useful information about the BR lenses shift limits with this adapter. Thanks!

I wonder how safe it is to hang a 40-80 or a 150 2.8 from it?

Paul2660

Any chance in future we might see a XT adapter that is smart? Controlling the aperture and possibly the leaf shutter?

Also why is the IC so limited on the 35mm and 45mm allowing so little shift. Is this due to mirror box design/retro focus? Did you test past the 4 mm of horizontal shift?

That would be a game changer IMO.

THANKS for the write up Doug.

Paul C

Mexecutioner

Any chance in future we might see a XT adapter that is smart? Controlling the aperture and possibly the leaf shutter?

Also why is the IC so limited on the 35mm and 45mm allowing so little shift. Is this due to mirror box design/retro focus? Did you test past the 4 mm of horizontal shift?

That would be a game changer IMO.

THANKS for the write up Doug.

Paul C

A smart adapter would be sweet, maybe in the future we will see something like that.

Christopher

Just publish the stupid lens data... I could finally use my XF lenses on my Arca Swiss and GFX....

I really wish there would be more interest in smart adapters, but most people don’t care.

Then again you could argue that only a very few lenses actually make sense to adapt and are really great.

Smoothjazz

So you really have to decide what aperture you want to use before you put the lens onto the adapter. I can't see doing this in the field very often; I would not want to expose the sensor and switch backs too often.
More likely I would take my 110mm lens for example, and set it to f8, and just keep it set there for use on my Cambo WRS. If depth of field is an issue for a particular scene, then just do a series of shots for focus stacking.
Would you say this is a reasonable approach?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So you really have to decide what aperture you want to use before you put the lens onto the adapter. I can't see doing this in the field very often; I would not want to expose the sensor and switch backs too often.
More likely I would take my 110mm lens for example, and set it to f8, and just keep it set there for use on my Cambo WRS. If depth of field is an issue for a particular scene, then just do a series of shots for focus stacking.
Would you say this is a reasonable approach?
I think this calls for a set-it-and-forget it aperture. For a given lens and user, for example, they might set f/11 and leave it there indefinitely.

Whether that is an acceptable workflow is, of course, totally up to a user. I know several of our clients who won't find that to be problematic at all, and several who would find it totally laughable; both views are correct for those that hold them :)

I hope to see a fully-integrated version of this in the future; it's one of the top requests we've received for XT feedback. In the meantime this one will work for some users (and not for others) and is a pretty good price (I would guess a fully-integrated version would be significantly more expensive, but that's just a guess).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Keep in mind the LS BR lens line was developed for use on an SLR where there are no movements.

So this is an "off label" use of the lens.

That stands in contrast to a lens like the Rodenstock 32HR which was explicitly/exclusively developed for use on a tech camera with movements.

alajuela

Hello

I thought about this when it first came out - I think last week.

I don't really get it - I don't see where it is worth the hassle. Also Mexecutioner's point about hanging anywhere from a 2 - 4 pound lens on a tech camera is something I won't do - I don't like torqueing in general and this has gotta torque - this is conjunction with fixed aperture - I guess if your life depended on it. But I would consider taking my XF. Which I think is a fantastic camera

If you really want a cheaper way to put additional SLR lenes on the tech, get the Cambo Hasselblad adapter and use Hasselblad lenes (Zeiss) at least they are manual.

I would rather Phase makes an adapter for the back of the body of the XT for so I can use my 90 and 120. This adapter can be "dumb" - that would make sense to me and give the XT more versatility

Thanks

Phil

Smoothjazz

I plan to try both adapters and see how they work; the Phase Adapter for my Blue ring lenses, and the Hasselblad Cambo adapter for a Zeiss/Hasselblad lens. I have been looking at them carefully; you are right that they are plentiful and cheap, especially in the 150mm and 180mm ranges.

Hello

I thought about this when it first came out - I think last week.

I don't really get it - I don't see where it is worth the hassle. Also Mexecutioner's point about hanging anywhere from a 2 - 4 pound lens on a tech camera is something I won't do - I don't like torqueing in general and this has gotta torque - this is conjunction with fixed aperture - I guess if your life depended on it. But I would consider taking my XF. Which I think is a fantastic camera

If you really want a cheaper way to put additional SLR lenes on the tech, get the Cambo Hasselblad adapter and use Hasselblad lenes (Zeiss) at least they are manual.

I would rather Phase makes an adapter for the back of the body of the XT for so I can use my 90 and 120. This adapter can be "dumb" - that would make sense to me and give the XT more versatility

Thanks

Phil