The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New RS 40mm HR W, any tips?

med

It's not small, but not large either – certainly a lot smaller than I was expecting after all the comments. My RS55mm APO-SD is about a little bit smaller when I have the CF mounted, although the rear cell protrudes a lot less. That gives some context to the size issue?

One post note: I do wish the 40mm had a little extra room for movement so I could stitch 1:2 panos with it, but beggars can't be choosers....
Sorry, I may have confused the discussion by bringing up the RS 32 HR-W, which I think most of the size/weight comments were about. The 40 is perhaps large when compared against the 43XL but I think the size is quite manageable on most tech cameras.

Having shot with both, I think the 43XL is a step sideways, not down. Both have various things going for them but in terms of size, weight, rendering, lack of distortion and a huge image circle (~113mm vs 90mm), the 43XL is hard to beat on a DB like the IQ150 where you can shift it a long way without crazy color casts etc.

Either way, it's win win.

They certainly do both have distinct advantages. Most of my gripes with the 43XL (other than trying to get at the dang aperture lever in the recessed board) are to do with its performance on my IQ250. I’m looking forward to testing both side by side!

My inevitable purchase of an IQ4150 one day is yet another reason to keep the 43XL...

med

Well, my 40 HR is en route, and the 32 HR and 23 HR afterwards pending sale of another item... I purchased another tech camera, too (A Factum), so I can shoot all of the inevitable comparisons and tests. :bugeyes:

I wish I was kidding! (at least my pocketbook does...)

Mexecutioner

Well, my 40 HR is en route, and the 32 HR and 23 HR afterwards pending sale of another item... I purchased another tech camera, too (A Factum), so I can shoot all of the inevitable comparisons and tests. :bugeyes:

I wish I was kidding! (at least my pocketbook does...)

I don't see the IQ4 on the list...

f8orbust

Most of my gripes with the 43XL (other than trying to get at the dang aperture lever in the recessed board) are to do with its performance on my IQ250....
Yeah, it doesn't play well with the IQ250.

Linhof used to produce some snazzy levers for use with recessed boards, made adjusting things a load easier for those of us with adult size fingers.