The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca RM3 + Aperture control board + 11-24mm Canon

Schafphoto

I didn't even want to put the "sensor in question" into the title of the post since it's technically not MF.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 12.32.34 AM.jpg

Dreaming of shifting a Canon EOSR (Canon R Mirrorless) body on the back of a ARCA tech-cam with an ARCA 110x110 Canon aperture control lens board ... that would be my ultimate setup.

The Fuji GFX50 fits on the back of the Arca. Would the full-frame Canon R (or R5)? I'm looking to use my 11-24mm Canon zoom for the sweet spot of 18, 20, 22 and 24mm Shifting, and my Canon 16-35mm L3 for the 24, 26, 28, 30, 35mm shifting. That way I only travel with three lenses, with a seamless field of view of 16mm to 35mm zoomed and shifted and then the 50mm TSE. No fiddling with tiny shift knobs on the 17/24 TSE lenses + the latest Canon coatings and optics + I can use the Camranger II for WiFi tethering to the iPad + the lens stays stationary while the sensor (Canon) rises, falls and shifts just like a Large Format camera. (Then instead of the 11-24, 16-35, 50TSE, 17TSE, 24TSE, I can leave the 17 & 24 at home).

What do you think? My Canon R5 is on pre-order, I might as well figure this out now. Would I need the Arca Factum or the RM3Di?

-Schaf

Alan

I just went through this exercise setting up an Arca M2 for Nikon Z.

I'm not familiar with the Canon R, but check on how far forward the grip projects from the sensor plane. The Arca body will likewise have a minimum thickness behind the lens flange. You'll need to see if these two dimensions collide.

alatreille

You could do it on the RM3di.

I use this same board on mine with the 17/24 and 50 TSE's. Only sparingly though as I'm on the IQ4150 and the glass doesn't hold up on the edges.

I'd suggest the RM3di with the GFX if you're wanting to go that route.

Are you going to send your 11-24 in to have teh sunhood and the rear baffle removed?
My understanding is this opens up the allowable movements before mechanical vignetting.

A

RodK

I didn't even want to put the "sensor in question" into the title of the post since it's technically not MF.

View attachment 147985

Dreaming of shifting a Canon EOSR (Canon R Mirrorless) body on the back of a ARCA tech-cam with an ARCA 110x110 Canon aperture control lens board ... that would be my ultimate setup.

The Fuji GFX50 fits on the back of the Arca. Would the full-frame Canon R (or R5)? I'm looking to use my 11-24mm Canon zoom for the sweet spot of 18, 20, 22 and 24mm Shifting, and my Canon 16-35mm L3 for the 24, 26, 28, 30, 35mm shifting. That way I only travel with three lenses, with a seamless field of view of 16mm to 35mm zoomed and shifted and then the 50mm TSE. No fiddling with tiny shift knobs on the 17/24 TSE lenses + the latest Canon coatings and optics + I can use the Camranger II for WiFi tethering to the iPad + the lens stays stationary while the sensor (Canon) rises, falls and shifts just like a Large Format camera. (Then instead of the 11-24, 16-35, 50TSE, 17TSE, 24TSE, I can leave the 17 & 24 at home).

What do you think? My Canon R5 is on pre-order, I might as well figure this out now. Would I need the Arca Factum or the RM3Di?

-Schaf
As some have already mentioned, the grips of many of the DSLR/Mirrorless cameras are too deep for effective use on a tech camera. This means a tube would be required to mount the body on the back and this tubes depth, would create mechanical vignetting and so cut down on available movement.

The GFX50R has a minimal grip and we have designed it to mount the body as close as possible on a revolving bayonet to allow maximum movement. We also have now created an R mount lens board for 645 Pentax lenses which have a large image circle allowing movement on lenses 35mm and longer.

Lens equivilants are .8 on the GFX sensor to full frame sensors, so a 35mm Pentax is equal to a 28mm lens on full frame. You will also get some clean movement with the Canon lenses on our board in conjunction with the GFX setup, as Andrew mentioned in his post.

With the GFX large format style lenses are limited to 55mm(44mmDSLR EQ), as the shortest, but then one can shift as mentioned to Pentax 645, or the Canon setup, and we will have the R board for Hasselblad V lenses, as well. I use the GFX myself mostly with the 55mm Rodenstock and 72mm and 100mm Schneiders.

On other alternative: If Hasselblad gets the reasonably priced 907X digital back out soon this will allow use of large format lenses down to 23mm with the same sensor dimensions, while being a lower priced possibility.

Hope this informs you.

Schafphoto

I just went through this exercise setting up an Arca M2 for Nikon Z.

I'm not familiar with the Canon R, but check on how far forward the grip projects from the sensor plane. The Arca body will likewise have a minimum thickness behind the lens flange. You'll need to see if these two dimensions collide.
Were you able to get your Nikon Z to work? Which lenses are you using on the front end?

Schafphoto

You could do it on the RM3di.

Are you going to send your 11-24 in to have teh sunhood and the rear baffle removed?
My understanding is this opens up the allowable movements before mechanical vignetting.

A
If I can find a technical camera system that will take the Canon R5 on the back I will send the 11-24 out for a haircut and take out the rear baffles. I may sound draconian, but I'm willing to grind a couple of millimeters off the Canon handgrip if that is the constraining factor (or maybe the rear camera mount can be modified with a indentation to accept the drop depth). I willing to rotate the entire camera vertical/horizontal if making the camera-mount rotate is a constraint.

Or I may have to send a couple thousand dollars at SK Grimes building a rotatable shifter for the RF mount. But that will not give me the sweet aperture control of the Arca Aperture Control Lensboard, so that will slow things down.

Alan

Were you able to get your Nikon Z to work? Which lenses are you using on the front end?
Yes, using Nikon F & Contax 645 lenses w/ fixed aperture for the time being:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8g5796Bzei/

With Nikon F lenses on a 7mm recessed board, there's ~2mm between front of camera grip and the front standard. Canon lenses would work with a deeper board - not sure how deep the Arca electronic board is.

With the Z short flange distance, there's actually room to use a Rodie 35mm HR-S. I don't think this would be possible w/ GFX or Canon R.

NikonZCompare.jpg

Last edited:

RodK

Yes, using Nikon F & Contax 645 lenses w/ fixed aperture for the time being:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8g5796Bzei/

With Nikon F lenses on a 7mm recessed board, there's ~2mm between front of camera grip and the front standard. Canon lenses would work with a deeper board - not sure how deep the Arca electronic board is.

With the Z short flange distance, there's actually room to use a Rodie 35mm HR-S. I don't think this would be possible w/ GFX or Canon R.

View attachment 148003
Yes the 35mm or even down to the 32mm is possible with the Canon R or Nikon Z, on a view type camera. But not shorter on the technical camera. The physical rear group gets in the

way as it cuts into the physical space of the FFD(flange focal distance). The GFX is limited to 55mm and longer because it is deeper the the Canon R or Nikon Z. See attached.

Hope this helps:

Attachments