Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Update. The surgery went off as planned. The recovery is not. I am finally mobile but with a nasty bag attached to my thigh. They released me a day earlier than planned due the unpleasantness. I was not impressed that none of the staff except my doctor were using masks or gloves.
    My wife is still able to go to the grocery store. As these times of peril go on I am concerned about not being able to get fresh vegetables. They are essential to our diet.
    My next surgery is scheduled for April 9 - cataracts. Not sure this is classified as essential. I am almost blind in my right eye now. Makes photography interesting but actually better as my left eye is perfect
    Tomorrow I will climb the stairs to my photography lair and start clearing out some old files and firing up my printers.
    All the best to you all.
    John,
    Just sent you an email.
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update. The surgery went off as planned. The recovery is not. I am finally mobile but with a nasty bag attached to my thigh. They released me a day earlier than planned due the unpleasantness. I was not impressed that none of the staff except my doctor were using masks or gloves.
    My wife is still able to go to the grocery store. As these times of peril go on I am concerned about not being able to get fresh vegetables. They are essential to our diet.
    My next surgery is scheduled for April 9 - cataracts. Not sure this is classified as essential. I am almost blind in my right eye now. Makes photography interesting but actually better as my left eye is perfect
    Tomorrow I will climb the stairs to my photography lair and start clearing out some old files and firing up my printers.
    All the best to you all.
    Wonderful to hear John!
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gurtch and JohnBrew: Good on it, keep carrying on as best we can!
    Stay well, do the best we can ... that's really all we can do.

I've determined that the 907x fits into my smallest bicycle Camera specific carry bag (Wotancraft Mini-Rider). I may take it on today's isolation ride and see what motivates me.

Onwards we go! G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All the best to you all.
    John: hang in there. I had cataract surgery done on each eye, about 1 1/2 years apart. It is the most successful surgery in the US. If you now wear glasses, chances are you will not need them afterwards. It is painless and "recovery" was wearing taped on goggles when you sleep to avoid accidental eye rubbing. You will be fine and happy. All the best with your recovery from your recent surgery.
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After five weeks in southern Africa, barely managing to escape South Africa before the lockdown, we are now quarantined for two weeks at home. The good news is (a) I have a lot of new files to edit, (b) the wine cellar is well stocked, (c) I can get my income tax done - I have a refund coming.

The bad news is that my wife has a list........

Stay safe, my friends - this will pass.
    Bill
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bill

I look forward to seeing your new work.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    After five weeks in southern Africa, barely managing to escape South Africa before the lockdown, we are now quarantined for two weeks at home. The good news is (a) I have a lot of new files to edit, (b) the wine cellar is well stocked, (c) I can get my income tax done - I have a refund coming.

Bill
    www.friedmanphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post

Bill

Sometimes I wave more work to do at home than at the office. I feel your pain...

Post Thanks / Like

In keeping with the orders to stay isolated (we are 80 and 83 years of age---"the elderly"), we have been going to deserted places to photograph. We went to the mainland to both Dock Rds and 7 Bridges Rd. Here are two images. Both made with a Fuji GFX 50R, 32-64mm lens. Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D805 framed.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	668.5 KB 
ID:	148428

Name:	D806 framed.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	598.7 KB 
ID:	148429

Post Thanks / Like

Today I was on my first walk at the sea for almost a month.
    The impressive distans of 2 km with my X-pro 2 on my shoulder.
    Time to celebrate this achivement. And the fact that it now seems that I am now on the other side of the Covid 19 sicknes!

So a recomendation from the "inside" is to avoid this at all cost if you are past 60 years old.
    It has not been a fun ride. The only posotive thing about this is that I now should be immune to the virus for some period to come.

It will take maybe one more week to be back to normal.
    But then I will have lots of time to walk with my camera

I have some more technical books that I should write, but I think now I will also start with a book dokumenting one of the nature reserves I have been photograping.
    The plan is to show a period of one year. I already have most of what I need, except from spring, so in some way this is good timing.

Take care and stay safe!

Ray
    Last edited by Grayhand; 2nd April 2020 at 08:45. Reason: spelunking
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another recent photo in keeping with our photo trips to deserted places, where social contact is not an issue. This one at Barnegat Light (NJ) beach. GFX 50R, 32-64mm lens.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D807 framed.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	148442
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another recent shot on our deserted beach. Doing my thing with abstract fences and shadows.... a holdover from my Black and White film days. GFX 50R with 32-64mm lens at 64mm f16 ISO 400. Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro, slight blue toner to attempt the look of Kodak Gold (blue) toner of my youth.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com

Name:	D808 framed.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	653.5 KB 
ID:	148454
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David, I really enjoyed your beach with shadows from the fences.

I can still "self-isolate" by heading for the nearby woods. My dog is patient and waits for me to finish working.

Bark and Stone. Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6 on my Fuji GFX 50R.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    David, I really enjoyed your beach with shadows from the fences.

I can still "self-isolate" by heading for the nearby woods. My dog is patient and waits for me to finish working.

Bark and Stone. Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6 on my Fuji GFX 50R.
    And I like "Bark and Stone". My wife and I are "the elderly" ( ages 80 and 83), so we are very careful. We are a barrier summer resort island, so luckily we do not have many people here now.
    Stay safe
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    And I like "Bark and Stone". My wife and I are "the elderly" ( ages 80 and 83), so we are very careful. We are a barrier summer resort island, so luckily we do not have many people here now.
    Stay safe
    Dave
    If you sharpen up some of those fence slats, you can keep the city folk away from your retreat!

You have a quarter century on me. I am always happy to see you posting because you give me hope that I could still be making photographs when I'm 80.

Take care, Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Since we are staying home, I did not have to go far for this sunset, taken from our deck several nights ago. GFX 50R, 32-64mm at 46mm f8 ISO 400. Normally I would use several shots HDR, but I did not have my tripod handy (in my car trunk). Instead, I had to separate the sky, water and foreground, put them on their own layers, and use adjustment layers separately on each. Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com

Name:	D809 framed.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	148473
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One of the little things I do every evening is make a vodka tonic and for my wife a glass of Chardonnay, go out on the screen porch over looking the golf course and turn on Radio Monte Carlo.Around 6 pm (midnight there) they play some of the best jazz you never heard. I really mellow out to this until it’s time to go in and cook.
    All things considered, life is what happens and life is good.

Everyone be safe ‘cause we want to see everyone back after this mess and hear your stories.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the best to you all.
    John,
    Just caught up with this thread and I hope you are feeling better and recovered from your surgery
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

One of the little things I do every evening is make a vodka tonic and for my wife a glass of Chardonnay, go out on the screen porch over looking the golf course and turn on Radio Monte Carlo.Around 6 pm (midnight there) they play some of the best jazz you never heard. I really mellow out to this until it’s time to go in and cook.
    All things considered, life is what happens and life is good.

Everyone be safe ‘cause we want to see everyone back after this mess and hear your stories.
    There are some anecdotal reports of anti-malaria medications being useful against the novel 2019 coronavirus, and quinine in tonic used to be used to fight malaria, soooo I think you've got the right idea John

Post Thanks / Like

in California the first two weeks of social isolation have been easy. I could go out and find mundane scenes that take on more meaning. For example, this elite university is under lockdown and conducts classes via Web. Libraries and all other buildings are closed. Many students come from rich families in China. This woman is likely from such a family, pondering her situation by a creek on the campus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhand View Post
    Today I was on my first walk at the sea for almost a month.
    The impressive distans of 2 km with my X-pro 2 on my shoulder.
    Time to celebrate this achivement. And the fact that it now seems that I am now on the other side of the Covid 19 sicknes!

So a recomendation from the "inside" is to avoid this at all cost if you are past 60 years old.
    It has not been a fun ride. The only posotive thing about this is that I now should be immune to the virus for some period to come.

It will take maybe one more week to be back to normal.
    But then I will have lots of time to walk with my camera

I have some more technical books that I should write, but I think now I will also start with a book dokumenting one of the nature reserves I have been photograping.
    The plan is to show a period of one year. I already have most of what I need, except from spring, so in some way this is good timing.

Take care and stay safe!

Ray
    Hi Ray
    Good you survived!
    It should be a really nasty experience.
    The leading physicians in the intensive care units in DK say that the corona is far more violent and far more unpredictable in its disease progression than they had feared, and that people usually have to stay between 2 weeks but often up till 4-5 weeks in a respirator with the addition of up to 80-100% pure oxygen and that the lungs have very hard difficulty absorbing oxygen and carrying it out into the body.
    And even young people in intensive care have need for respirators for a longer period.
    In DK, they say that if you are above 65, you may be offered a combination of a "common" flu vaccine and a pneumonia vaccine (I guess against a virus-based kind of pneumonia). Irene and I will therefore contact our health center tomorrow to hear if it is possible - and thus possibly be better prepared against the corona - perhaps just an inspiration to other people..
    (in Denmark we have wondered why Sweden has not shut down all social activity to prevent infection and to prevent an overloaded health care like in Italy where most people die before they even hit the overloaded hospitals)
    best thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Well Thorkil, I blame this on the Danish people
    I was in Kastrup airport a couple of times 10 days before I got ill!

I had the flu shoot this year. The vaccine they offer is for the bacterially based pneumonia.
    But many people, including me, get the viral based pneumonia, and against this there is no vaccine or real cure, except time. I still have pneumonia; it is a slow process to get rid of this for me.
    Sweden gets a lot of finger pointing now, but no one really knows what the right way is to do this without totally crashing your society.
    If you speak to the right people, there is some sobering information to get. Forget the official numbers of infected. If we want to be optimistic it is maybe 10 times as many that are infected. But a more realistic estimate now is 30-50 times the official numbers.

And the look down is a problem as many countries are not in sync with this. Even if you succeed to stamp out all cases in a country, as soon as you open the borders, the inflow of new cases starts, due to all the “silent” carriers. So, this will continue until 50-60% of the population get this and the “herd immunity” kicks in or they get a working vaccine.

If you want to avoid this, remember that anyone getting closer than 3 meters is a potential enemy.
    If any in the family leaves the quarantine, don´t let them back in, they are now one of the enemies. Use your monopod to chase all people away. And don´t forget to disinfect it after use..
    In other words, an almost impossible situation for most people in this world.
    We can only hope that all people work together to solve this.

This too shall pass

Ray
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the regular topic!

I was digging in the storage for old cameras and I did find some old polaroid that I compleatly forgotten about.

Old Polaroid 664 and 690, B/W. It was functionel 4 years ago, so lets think positive. Stored in room temeperature..
    I also have at least 22 boxes of different Fuji FP-100. They are stoored in a cooler.

And I have at least 4 cameras I can shoot this film with, I think I will use a lot of this for my coming photos this spring.
    And the good thing with the Fuji is that when you save the negative, you can give it a tender treatment with bleach, and sudenly you have a "ordinary" negative!

And then I had to open the lid of my dedicated film freezer

In there is film in different sizes, 8X10, 4X5, 120 and 35.
    And the nice thing is that I still have cameras for all this formats!

So it looks like this combined quarantine and pension will be filled with lots of interesting photography.

And the next step is to dig out my darkroom..

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Thorkil, I blame this on the Danish people
    I was in Kastrup airport a couple of times 10 days before I got ill!

I had the flu shoot this year. The vaccine they offer is for the bacterially based pneumonia.
    But many people, including me, get the viral based pneumonia, and against this there is no vaccine or real cure, except time. I still have pneumonia; it is a slow process to get rid of this for me.
    Sweden gets a lot of finger pointing now, but no one really knows what the right way is to do this without totally crashing your society.
    If you speak to the right people, there is some sobering information to get. Forget the official numbers of infected. If we want to be optimistic it is maybe 10 times as many that are infected. But a more realistic estimate now is 30-50 times the official numbers.

And the look down is a problem as many countries are not in sync with this. Even if you succeed to stamp out all cases in a country, as soon as you open the borders, the inflow of new cases starts, due to all the “silent” carriers. So, this will continue until 50-60% of the population get this and the “herd immunity” kicks in or they get a working vaccine.

If you want to avoid this, remember that anyone getting closer than 3 meters is a potential enemy.
    If any in the family leaves the quarantine, don´t let them back in, they are now one of the enemies. Use your monopod to chase all people away. And don´t forget to disinfect it after use..
    In other words, an almost impossible situation for most people in this world.
    We can only hope that all people work together to solve this.

This too shall pass

Ray

yes, Ray, if you was on a plane from Austria, with silly Danish youngsters who came from skiing at Ischgl in Austria, the super-Corona-hotspot in the Alps, where all the bartenders were infected, and where they all, a bit drunk in the evenings, were sharing the same whistle so everyone was sure of being infected …then it probably was at Kastrup and not Arlanda you got infected
    Then there is only one cure left for you: the cod-liver-solution (which someone’s really hate, but I actually do like it..) – Norwegian Möllers Tran, I guess you can buy it at Coop in Sweden also??? 1 spoonful each day, the first week (higher dose than recommended, but you lack the natural A & D-vitamin), then half a spoonful until perfectly cured after 10-14 days, I promise…Its simply the best way to quickly and effective boost your immune system. Do try it out!
    In general, its best to be wise after its all over. But there were 2 important factors in Denmark, 1) we got these very strong advice’s from the doctors in Northern Italy: shut down now, before it really hits you and before it increases, before you think you have a problem, because shutting down after, its too late to avoid the increment going rocket-high and 2) we got an really action minded Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen (Trumps knows he very well…), who actually was ahead of even the health-authorities, and was shutting down very quickly and heavily – and many people were saying, isn’t that too hard a way, but absolutely nobody are questioning that anymore. Before the corona-situation, around 50% of our population supported her fully, right now its about 79%, that’s a high back-up-rate.
    In Bergamo in Italy, east of Milano, they were sitting on their hands for too long a time compared to a neighbor city Lodi. The amount of infected and dead in Bergamo went rocket-high (the crematorium had to work day and night, but even though, the military had to drive the dead at night in convoys to other crematoriums), in Lodi they had only under half of the daily increment, they had been shutting down very early. Yesterday in Italy 15.360 have died, almost 125.000 registered infected, now luckily with the increment going down from a daily death-rate of 970 to 680 yesterday, so they are very, very slowly getting better. But yes, the shadow-figures might be half or 1 mio. infected. In a small city West of Venice they tested the whole population, half of the infected or those who had been infected have had no symptoms at all.
    Yes the Danish “Serum-institute” have the same message, about 60% will be infected, possibly – but the “solution” is to get it done in a slowly way so that the health-system still will be functioning and not are brought down on their knees, or in fact for a great part be totally put out of order, like in northern Italy.
    For the last 5 days in Denmark, we have had a decrease in corona patients in intensive care at the hospital from a total from (only) 260 to now 230. But still it might be too early to conclude that the hard way was the right way, but the signs are there, that it surely might have been the right way..

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the regular topic!

I was digging in the storage for old cameras and I did find some old polaroid that I compleatly forgotten about.

Old Polaroid 664 and 690, B/W. It was functionel 4 years ago, so lets think positive. Stored in room temeperature..
    I also have at least 22 boxes of different Fuji FP-100. They are stoored in a cooler.

And I have at least 4 cameras I can shoot this film with, I think I will use a lot of this for my coming photos this spring.
    And the good thing with the Fuji is that when you save the negative, you can give it a tender treatment with bleach, and sudenly you have a "ordinary" negative!

And then I had to open the lid of my dedicated film freezer

In there is film in different sizes, 8X10, 4X5, 120 and 35.
    And the nice thing is that I still have cameras for all this formats!

So it looks like this combined quarantine and pension will be filled with lots of interesting photography.

And the next step is to dig out my darkroom..

Ray
    Same plans. My darkroom is waiting to be put into action again! How do you save the negatives of the FP100C? I still have about 10 packages of it, would be fun to experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    Same plans. My darkroom is waiting to be put into action again! How do you save the negatives of the FP100C? I still have about 10 packages of it, would be fun to experiment.
    This is what I do, more or less..

Here you see the "operator" fix the negative with tejp to a sheet of glas, I do the same.

Some just wet the negative and let the surface tension of the water hold the negative on the glas.
    But I have had leakage to the underside, and you do not whant that..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLbhbTgBI8

But I must admit that I am not as careful as this guy, you can find a video where a toothbrush is used.
    So you have just to find your own level of "scrubbing" the negative

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I am alone I discovered many different part of my self but all of them love Photography !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	io4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	614.2 KB 
ID:	148598  
    Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

wo more recent photos taken in deserted places on the NJ southern shore where we live. GFX 50R, 23mm lens.
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com

Name:	D811 framed.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	404.5 KB 
ID:	148759

Name:	D812 framed.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	148760
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you like jazz on the radio I have a treat for you. It's an all jazz, non profit station in Toronto - www.jazz.fm - available on the internet worldwide. They even have special segments - Saturday night starting at 7 pm, Danny Marks with blues, Friday night at 9 pm Ronny Littlejohn with the Gumbo hour (New Orleans artists) Sunday night is Big Band night, and lots of others. Check them out. Good music and good people. We're hooked!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amidst the background of a global pandemic; 24/7 caregiving, and being an advocate for domestic abuse victims, I plan on spending some relaxing moments with my favorite tenor:

Andrea Bocelli

Here is a concert he performed today on Easter Sunday in Milan:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=huTUOek4LgU
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have seen and heard that on TV . Fantastic .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yesterday was easter and many tourists came to may balcony to take pictures with their ****ing phones, disturbing my work!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 24 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I took up dog grooming.

I hadn't planned / didn't want to, but I had no choice, as Miss Abby was already a few weeks overdue before this crisis arrived and had been panting almost continuously since last night, as the weather here in the Phoenix area is heating up.

It took me almost two hours from start to finish and to my surprise, she actually looks quite presentable:

Well, except for what looks to be a dueling scar just below her left eye, which arose when she flinched while I was free-handing her snout with the clippers and cut a bit too deeply.

But she didn't bleed, so no permanent harm was done -- Yay! -- and of course, the fur will grow back in time, so in a few weeks, no one will be the wiser.

In the meantime, though, I think she looks like a bad-*** standard poodle -- Snake Plissken-ish, minus the eye patch -- and not one of those foo-foo poodles, such as the one that recently won the NYC dog show.

Mind you, I no doubt inflicted a considerable amount of psychological trauma in the process, but she's a good-natured dog, so I'm confident she'll bounce back from it soon enough.

Looking ahead, I believe that with a better set of clippers -- the set I borrowed from a neighbor was old, the blades were somewhat dull, and it came with only one depth guide, hence the reason I had to free-hand in places -- as well as learning how to use them properly -- it turns out the YouTube video I watched of Mike Rowe shearing sheep wasn't as helpful as I had hoped ... who knew?! -- I'm confident I can significantly improve upon my results the next time.

Yes, that means I'm going to try it again in another six to eight weeks. Groomers in this area charge $80-90 for a standard poodle and the retired groomer who works part-time out of her house charges only $60 but lives across town, which requires a 60-mile roundtrip that is a bit of a nuisance.

Buying my own set of grooming tools should pay for itself in just a few months, which appeals to the frugalitarian in me, as well as save me several hours of time compared to driving and waiting.

Silver linings and all that...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, there's something in her eyes that would make me watch my back if I were you ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I don't know, there's something in her eyes that would make me watch my back if I were you ...
    Now that you mention it, I do see hints of Cujo reflected in her eyes...

Post Thanks / Like

I used to drive from San Diego to Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) every 6 weeks to get my Samoyed groomed. He got old and didn't travel well so I found someone about half the distance. Only $60 and I can't imagine that myself as it would take me all day and I'd be a mess. She did him in 3 hours. 3 hours for $60, that's a bargain and I gave a nice Christmas bonus each year. Unfortunately, he's gone (last July) so I don't need to worry about that, but dog grooming is another function that is gone right now. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. At least mass shootings and most gun violence is way down.

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
    I used to drive from San Diego to Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) every 6 weeks to get my Samoyed groomed. He got old and didn't travel well so I found someone about half the distance. Only $60 and I can't imagine that myself as it would take me all day and I'd be a mess. She did him in 3 hours. 3 hours for $60, that's a bargain and I gave a nice Christmas bonus each year. Unfortunately, he's gone (last July) so I don't need to worry about that, but dog grooming is another function that is gone right now. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. At least mass shootings and most gun violence is way down.

Joel
    Sorry to hear your dog passed last July. Our dog has a short coat, so I give her her bath in our tub and it is pretty easy. We used to take her and get her bathed and had nails dremmeled but not too long ago decided to do the bath here and save $55 every other week. We kept doing the dremmel at that place every 2 weeks for $15 a pop, but since I have a dremmel and the place is closed we have been having some dremmel action in the back porch. I think i am doing a good job with it. Now that I look back I realize it was costing about $1600 a year to do this, plus tips, which is silly. Now, when we had our 2 German shepherds I was more than happy to pay as it was way more work than it is now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
    I used to drive from San Diego to Thousand Oaks (Ventura County) every 6 weeks to get my Samoyed groomed. He got old and didn't travel well so I found someone about half the distance. Only $60 and I can't imagine that myself as it would take me all day and I'd be a mess. She did him in 3 hours.
    Abby's groomer usually had her for around two hours and I killed the time I was waiting by visiting the thrift stores in the area and/or taking photos. Add an hour for the drive and the total was around three hours as well.

Unfortunately, time is money and while there was a point in my life when $60 practically rounded to zero, that is no longer the case. My father fell in December 2013 and broke his hip, hence was no longer able to care for my disabled sister. So I took a leave of absence from work to help out, only for him to fall and break his other hip just as he was finishing his recovery from his first fall.

Not surprisingly, my short-term leave of absence became a long-term one at that point and after he died in February 2017, it became permanent. Because even though I was paid very well, my paralegal job frequently required me to travel several days each month to attend depositions / perform review documents and the cost of hiring a full-time caretaker to look after my sister while I was at work and a 24-hour caretaker while I was traveling was prohibitively high.

So I effectively retired and did so between 10 and 15 years earlier than I had planned, which means I've been living on savings for the past seven years and still have two more years to go before I can file for Social Security benefits. Once that happens, my financial situation will improve, although my benefit amount will be significantly reduced because I will not have worked for 36 of the previous 40 quarters. Although I do have a decent amount of retirement savings, in view of the change in my circumstances, I'm a bit leery of spending too much of it on frills, because one never knows what the future might hold -- Covid-19, anyone? -- and I don't want to end up having to eat discount-brand cat food instead of the premium brands when I'm in my dotage... <shrug>

Needless to say, even before the virus lockdown, I was effectively stuck at home for most of the day and this is even more true now. Which means I have lots of time on my hands, so doing my own housecleaning and laundry and car / home maintenance, etc., helps me to stay busy as well as saves me money.

My next project will probably be a DIY haircut, as I'm only three or four weeks away from being to make a ponytail and I'm positive that nobody wants to see that!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Your financial circumstances are certainly challenging but you seem to have a handle on it. SS benefits are a game of analysis for now vs. later. Early benefits are the least beneficial as I'm sure you know. Best to wait if you can but that's a financial decision that only you can make.

As to cutting your own hair - you can..... and you should. It's easy once you get the hang of it and challenging once you 'really' get into it. Given all of your skill sets I have no doubts as to your ability to look just great.....

Cheers....

Victor B

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LCValla View Post
    yesterday was easter and many tourists came to may balcony to take pictures with their ****ing phones, disturbing my work!
    And how is your cloning work progressing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I've used my spare time to get Nikon Scan (for a Coolscan 9000) and Minolta Scan (for a DSE 5400) software installed and functioning on a Windows 10 PC. Scanned a 1992 portrait of a dear former neighbor. Her appearence, demeanor and house made us feel as if we had a grandmother across the street. Miss you Nona Kodachrome and likely a Pentax LX with a longer lens.

Name:	IMG1097 - Copy copy.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	853.1 KB 
ID:	148801  
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another of our trips to deserted places to photograph. Fuji GFX 50R.
    Dave in NJ

Name:	D813 framed.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	552.4 KB 
ID:	148806

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to take some of the prevaricating procrastinating pompous pathetic mismanaging so called world leaders to The Court of Human Rights and charge them with Crimes Against Humanity.

Their lethargic failure to act with anything resembling alacrity means (amongst other things) that I am still unable to play on the swings!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Their lethargic failure to act with anything resembling alacrity means (amongst other things) that I am still unable to play on the swings!
    This is also true here! While the parks themselves are still open, everything inside them (except the restrooms) has been wrapped in caution tape and is now officially off-limits:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Another closed off playground

A7Rii + AR Hexanon 40/1.8

Post Thanks / Like

Same deserted location as one of my previous posts. GFX 50R, 32-64mm lens, f13 ISO 400. This time a vertical shot. Having some fun, my wife and I are going to out of the way places to photograph, take a box lunch and relax a bit. All our favorite watering holes are closed for "HappyHour"

Name:	D814 framed.jpg 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	148843  
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LCValla View Post
    That's you on the end with the tripod?

Post Thanks / Like

First, let me apologize to you folks that are purists out there, and would consider the below image cheating. It is a composite. Being 83 years old and in lockdown has given me time to play around with old images using new tools. My goal has always been to make pleasing images regardless of method. My history goes back to film-Camera Clubs-PSA Salons-paper negatives- double printing-montages- derivations-posterizations-etc. Not sure where to post this: foreground, including the sun and star marks made in Feb 2010 with a Sony A900, 28mm Sony f2.8 lens at f11, ISO 200. Sky made several nights ago with GFX 50R 32-64mm lens at 44mm, f7 ISO 400.
    Again, my apologies in advance if I have offended anyone....it's just my way of having fun and keeping my old brain active. Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com

Name:	D815 frramed.jpg 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	148891

Post Thanks / Like

Another from the series of my wife and I going to deserted places to photograph. Several previous images I posted of this spot when the garvey was out clamming. This time the garvey was in. GFX 50R, 100-200mm Fuji lens at 150mm, f13 for added depth of field, ISO 400. The lens stabilization is wonderful, as I hand held this shot. Thanks for looking.
    Dave in NJ

Name:	D816 framed.jpg 
Size:	564.8 KB 
ID:	148898

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of time on my hands. Going through some old digital files and re-making final images. This image made late August 2014 with a Sony A7R and Minolta 20mm f2.8 lens (neither of which I have anymore). f10 ISO 400).
    Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    www.modernpictorials.com

Name:	D817 framed.jpg 
Size:	631.1 KB 
ID:	148969